Author Topic: Moving Rail and Ties  (Read 18030 times)

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Moving Rail and Ties
« on: September 08, 2008, 06:46:38 AM »
Hey Everyone,

The rail we'll be laying during the Work Weekend is scheduled to arrive this week so we'll need as many hands as possible on Saturday 9/13 to move it to the rail pile at the end of track.  We also have ties to move.  If we get the rail done in a timely fashion we could start moving ties.  We also have ten foot ties on the way (delievery next week?) which will need to be cut in half, treated on the cut ends, moved, etc. So, I 'm sure there will be another day dedicated to tie work prior to the work weekend. We have enough ties on hand for about 900 feet of track which means we'll need 150 more to lay all the rail. 

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Rail and Ties
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:27:54 PM »
See you then. I have some oil we can use for the rail.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 09:29:56 AM »
Update on ties:

I received word from Allan that we will be getting 5 foot ties (no cutting needed!) so that wil lspeed things up.  They should arrive the week of 9/22 so we'll see you for tie moving on 9/27!

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 09:53:15 AM »
I'll be there Sat. AM, around 9 or so. See you then.
Gawdon

Allan Fisher

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 01:44:04 PM »
75 sticks of 60 lb rail unloaded, placed on Flats 118 & 126, along with joint bars, and shoved to end of track.

62 sticks of 70 lb and scrap 60 lb rail loaded on truck to go to Kovalchick for credit.

B&SR Tank moved a couple more feet from Track 7 to allow more clearance.

All done in less than three hours by our incredible forklift operator Steve Zuppa, and the rest of the WW&F's reliable OLD volunteers.
Allan Fisher

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 02:06:12 PM »
I'm wondering why "incredible" Steve didn't bring his fork lift when we loaded the 70 lb rail. I can't imagine it's because he thought my muscles were big enough...
Dave  ;D

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 04:29:32 PM »
Dave,
You underestimate Steve. I'm sure that's exactly why he left that rail for you to handle. 
Duncan

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 05:41:10 PM »
Glad the OLD volunteers were available. Matbe some younger ones (myself included) will help off load.
Mike

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 06:56:33 AM »
Hats off to the reliable OLD VOLUNTEERS and the always incredible "Two Forks" Zuppa.  Did he do it all while driving backward?  ;)  So, 75 sticks means 74 sticks that we can put down, if all are in good shape, which translates to 1,110 feet of new track.  So, I'll see the reliable younger volunteers on Saturday and we'll unload the rail and put down two sticks at the end of track so we can do any drilling to match bolt holes to the last rail at EOT to avoid having to do that on the work weekend.  Then we'll discuss moving ties.  Maybe if time allows we can move some on Saturday and the remainder on 9/27 when the others arrive.  Good job everyone!

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 09:12:36 AM »
Is there any relation between Two Forks and Two Ties? I'm thinking Two Ties is a younger Steve Zuppa and Two Forks is an older version. Hmmm. And Duncan, you are no doubt correct. Time to go to the gym so I can keep up with the young guys.
Dave

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 08:10:16 PM »
Sounds like you need an infusion of Vitamin Y, Dave. Shall I bring some along in four weeks?

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 12:09:28 AM »
 Dr. Wayne;
    Thanks! I could use a refill, I ran out of my prescription a few weeks ago. See you soon.
Dave

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 07:11:58 PM »
Never have I seen Dana so happy moving rail. Everything we handle was uniform and in excellent shape. Well we did find one with a cracked base at the end but the rest of the rail is good.And all the joint bars came with the rail. It is going to be a pleasure to work with that rail in a few weeks.
Mike

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 09:37:16 AM »
Yep, I was very happy.  The rail looks to be in uniformly good condition and the joint bars match the holes (boy will I miss the fun of cropping and drilling rail this fall ;))!  Now if we can get the ties moved on 9/27 we'll be in great shape for the work weekend.  Just so everyone knows, we are also getting some stone so we'll be ballasting what we put down, as crew numbers allow.  Should be a busy and productive weekend!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 10:00:14 AM by Ed Lecuyer »

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 10:51:55 AM »
Dana,
I hope your back is better by the work weekend.  We'd really miss your voice saying "side of the care....lift....north.....
Duncan