Author Topic: Sheepscott property plan  (Read 29994 times)

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Sheepscott property plan
« on: September 07, 2008, 10:51:20 PM »

Gentelmen of the board and all members
     I resently recived the letter for donations. In this letter I noted a request for $7500 for the road to the leachfield. I think this is a waste of money. There are several reasons I say this. 1 running the line that far is a waste of materals that cost a lot of money. 2 This line needs to slope down for its entire leinght so at 400ft long this means it will have to go very deep. 3 The line will have to cross a stream bed dont know about Maine rules, codes,or regulations but in Arizona this is not a good thing. This said I think a better location would be at J were the car storage barn would be on the plan. I think that area would meet the codes,rules,etc.. Now this would mean the car barn could not be built there. So where to put the car barn? well at the location where the leachfield was to be located sorta. the location should be as far west as posable and north of the stream bed. But now you're saying there is no track near there? So how? Why with a Y of course. what you say? With a Y that starts with a switch just north of the present yard lead switch into a cruve of about 200fr radius. Then the west switch into the west tail track to near the west property line just north of the streambed bank.Then the north leg on another 200ft or so radius back to the mainline. I know the curves are tight but should be able to be handled by your equitment. I know this is very radical but there is more to this but I want to start you all thinking about this idea.I wanted to present sometime ago but could not get it to post. I will explane more if you are interested.

Paul Horky

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: Sheepscott property plan
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 06:37:28 AM »
We've already had a septic engineer come in and look over the spot where we plan to put the leach field, and he had no complaints about crossing the stream.  Our President is a plumber by trade, and he has no problem with a rising pipe to the leach field.  And the area we plan to put the septic field is elevated above the railroad, so running track up in there would require a lot of excavation.

As for a wye, I don't think there's enough property.  Back when we were thinking this out, we ran a curve from the main at a 20-degree radius.  There's no room to do that and another 20-degree curve back the other way without running into a lot of yard tracks or bisecting buildings.  A 20-degree curve is really the tightest curve we can manage.

Allan Fisher

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 08:00:31 AM »
Actually, James forgot to say that of all of our property at Sheepscot, this is the ONLY place that will take a PERC test - We have had three different sanitary engineers look at it and all agreed on placement of septic field.

We are also going to use this excavated right of way as the route for the yard track coming off the Main track to a new car shop and turntable in future years.
Allan Fisher

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 10:19:38 AM »
Elaborating just a bit on what Allan said, the problem is that soil in the Sheepscot Station area has a very high clay content, and the feasible sites for septic fields are few and far between.

Dale Reynolds

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 06:15:46 PM »
personally, i appreciate the hornby family posting the suggestion about the location of the septic field. i stay at round pond a couple weeks a year, and a few years ago a crew was piling up a huge mound of dirt in back of a cottage on the ocean. i was forced due to curiosity to stop and ask them what the heck they were doing. turns out they were building a septic field, not a mountain. the rules require the ground to 'perk' just like everywhere else, and to be far enuf back from the lobster fields in the ocean not to contaminate our pristine waters. so as with every single thing the museum has done that i am aware of over the past 8 years, this plan was very well thot out and proper. however, i hope our members continue to bring up any concerns they may have, as we have a very smart and caring membership and more good ideas will continue to surface. dale reynolds, pendleton sc

Matt Latham

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 06:33:38 PM »
I thought the Sheepscot property plan was posted on the forum somewhere, but I can not seem to find it now. Anyone happen to know where the plan is on the Forum? I have tried searching, but have had no luck so far.

Thanks for any help.
Member, WW&F Railway Museum.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 07:24:34 AM »
[Moderator's Note:
This posting was written by James Patten in the previous incarnation of the WW&F Discussion Forum.]

After several months of discussions, the Long Range Planning group has come up with some ideas for how we can develop the Boudin and Percival properties.  I'm putting this here for all to review, and will be bringing it to the Museum tomorrow for people there to review.  Comments are welcome.  At the last board meeting the board requested that we present this at the next meeting, which is a week from now.

First is the map.  Many thanks go out to Frank Knight for his patient renderings of our ideas.  There's two maps: one showing the whole property up to Jayne's Way Crossing, the second shows a close-up of the area near the road (which is where all the action is). 

The small squares are 10 feet across; the larger squares 50 feet.  The heavy blue line going through the map is the stream, the heavy green lines to either side is about where the gully border is.

You'll notice some large letters scattered throughout.  These letters are idea points which are described below.

A. Parking Lot
This parking area is what is being cut off this winter. Nominally, 65 cars can be parked here; the parking spaces are sized for SUVs (10 foot spacing) and can be squeezed up to store more cars. The design also allows RVs to move around. The lot has been designed in such a way that northward expansion for more cars is possible without major disruption. Lane A is a single parking lane, while Lanes B and C are double parking lanes. There is a single exit point at the south end of the lot.

Option: Nudge Lane A westward some, and Lanes B and C eastward some, to make a wider Lane A. 2 or 3 RVs and other long vehicles could be parked on the eastern side of Lane A.

B. Entry Road
The Percival driveway will become the entry road into the parking lot. The road will need to be widened somewhat. It takes a swing to the west once it gets beyond the house.

C. Leach Field & Road Access
The leach field location has been staked out, at the north side of the former "Percival Purchase". A road will be constructed to the leach field in such a manner that the road and its crossing of the stream will be re-used by a future southerly spur from the mainline for car storage.

D. Restrooms
The restroom facilities are intended to fit in the corner between the north side of the entry road and the east side of the parking lot. The building depicted is a placeholder until an actual proposal is determined. The minimum size and number of toilets is determined by law, and will govern what we are able to do.

At present time it is hoped the restroom building can resemble a WW&F agency station.  This is still being researched.

E. Percival House
At present, the Percival House is on the outskirts of public space at Sheepscot. However, with the addition of parking and restrooms nearby, the house will be right in the middle of public accessible space. Therefore using the first floor of the house as public space is recommended, although what form it will take will require continued discussion.

F. Roundhouse
The roundhouse will be a three-stall roundhouse based on the one at Wiscasset. There will be one run-through bay, the track from which will lead to the car storage tracks. The center bay will be longer. Behind the roundhouse there can be an area for coal storage, as well as an ash pit for dumping the fire. The roundhouse ought to be built of fire-resistant materials, such as brick or steel.

G. Turntable
The turntable will be a 40-foot Howe Truss table, long enough to handle any car or locomotive. Exact positioning of the turntable depends on a yet-to-be conducted survey. The current Track 7 will swing westward to become the turntable lead track, and the remaining track beside the machine shop would be lifted.

Option: Run a track westwardly off the turntable, buried, into the parking area. This track would not be used for storage, but for loading and unloading of cars from a Landoll.

H. Blacksmithy
Post 1907, the Wiscasset roundhouse had a lean-to structure attached to one side. This structure would become a blacksmithy. It too should be constructed of fire resistant materials.

I. Coal Storage
The coal storage area can be moved from in front of the shop to somewhere behind the roundhouse. Location of this depends on accessibility of large dump trucks.

J. Car Storage
Two tracks would be constructed for covered car storage, north of the roundhouse and accessed from both a run-through bay of the roundhouse and a track south from the main line. The main line switch will be far enough south that a 3-car train and locomotive can fit between the switch and Jayne's Way Crossing; this way the Yard Limit will not need to include the crossing. This track will occupy the road that was constructed over the stream for the construction of the leach field. It is intended that the track be constructed in a cut through the embankment next to the main line.

The car shed should be styled similar to the original W&Q car shed in Wiscasset. While it is likely to be steel construction, it can be sheathed in board and batten or other period-appropriate materials to retain the original look.

K. Handicapped Parking
Several handicapped parking spots have been placed, both in front of the restrooms, and on Cross Road in front of the shops.

L. Shop Extension
A southerly expansion of the car shop has been planned. This extension would extend the first 3 bays of the car shop 30 - 40 feet south toward the road.

M. Walkway
A handicap-friendly walkway extends from the parking lot to the restrooms, then past the turntable to the platform. These paths could conceivably continue around the perimeter of the car shop area as well.

N. Landscaping
The area between the shop, the turntable, and Cross Road should be landscaped. The area south of the turntable will no longer be a parking area, it should be grassed over, and also should be fenced so that wayward children do not accidentally fall into the pit. Likewise the road to behind the roundhouse should be gated so that visitors are not confused as to how to get to parking.

Trees can be planted in between the lanes of the parking lot, but we may want to avoid this is as it locks in the location of the lanes.

O. Drainage
Originally the western side of the shop area was conceived as drainage. With the addition of new structures care must be taken that this original drainage is preserved. Catch basins should be added for public safety.

P. Power and Lighting
Even though the Museum has few nighttime events, the need to have lights for the parking lot and other spaces from the lot to the station is there. Planning for lights on poles and in other places will have to be considered.

Additionally, all these buildings and lights will need power. It is recommended that power from CMP be routed through one building (such as the Percival House), then be distributed via underground cables or conduit to all places that need it. This will preserve the aura of the early 20th century around the station area, and will allow unhindered movement of rail equipment on trucks.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 09:55:32 AM »
Note that the final plan, which was ultimately adopted, looks a little different than what is shown but is functionally the same.

Letter L, the shop extension, is underway.
Clearing for A and C, parking and road to leach field, started last year and will finish this year.  The road to C could happen this year, but I'm guessing it's more likely will happen next year.

Matt Latham

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 11:00:39 AM »
Ed,
 Thank you for re-posting the site plan.

James,
 Thank you for the update.
Member, WW&F Railway Museum.

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 08:34:51 PM »
I love the new track plan but is the car shed right on the river and does it have to be elevated and so does the siding from the main line that leads to the car shed?  :) :D ;D ??? ::) :)
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 09:05:19 PM »
Opps I mean only the the sidings to the car sheds because the car shed is away from the stream! :o :-[ :-\ :)
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 11:00:06 PM »
Its not a river, its classified as an "Intermittent Stream"  - which is important as far as planning goes.

The green lines show (approximately) the extent of the gully that the stream runs in. From experience doing some layout work in that area, it is a bit of a drop off.

Anyhow, the stream will pass through a culvert and the gully filled in. A road will be built over the culvert and stream to access the leach field during construction. Then, after the leach field is completed, the road will be converted to the ROW for the siding to the car barn. This was a great idea to save on construction costs, etc.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Tom Casper

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
    • Sandy Ridge & Clear Lake Ry.
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 08:21:04 AM »
Anyhow, the stream will pass through a culvert and the gully filled in. A road will be built over the culvert and stream to access the leach field during construction. Then, after the leach field is completed, the road will be converted to the ROW for the siding to the car barn. This was a great idea to save on construction costs, etc.

Ed,  What if the tank needs pumping?  Will there be another way in for a truck?  With the road covered with rail it could pose some problems.

Tom C.
Later:
tom_srclry_com

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 08:31:39 AM »
I asked that same question. I was told that once the septic system is constructed, it will not need any sort of major maintenance.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 09:24:39 AM »
In systems I have seen similar to our proposed design, and I think there is a law about this on the books someplace, the tank has to be within "x" amount of feet from the building it is serving. The septic or leach field needs to be in a place where it can perk. Ideally it would be lower than the tank so gravity would take the liquid to the field. In our situation, we can't do that. So it will be pumped. How this works is there is a switch in the tank that turns the pump on and off. When the liquid in the tank gets high enough to turn on the switch, the pump starts and sends the liquid to the field. When it reaches it's low limit switch, the pump turns off.
  I do believe that the tank will still need servicing to remove the solids every so often. Once a year or once every few years, depending on use.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...