Author Topic: Ties  (Read 20054 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Ties
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 07:38:23 PM »
To my way of thinking, cedar ties would be a very bad idea unless they are mixed in with other, harder ties. What is necessary is the hardest, most rot and insect-resistant wood available. While cedar may be rot and insect-resistant, it's almost as soft as pine, and we do not want to be plugging and respiking ties every few years. We need oak and mixed hardwoods, perhaps with a few yellow pine or cedar ties thrown in here and there -- but not on the curves.

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 09:58:36 PM »
Aaaahh.. I see!
Ok then,... given that criteria, finding lumber to feet the mill shouldn't be the problem as much as where to get them pressure treated.
But what I was wondering was using the mill at AC when it's running.
As I said, I bellive I'd heard that idea for it before, but not much other than "it's an idea."

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 07:10:03 AM »
Was thinking the same thing... Sounds like an opportunity for the "local" sawmill to get up and running - especially as more clearing for both the museum area expansion and ROW extension are developed.  Would make a great addition to have log trains to an operating sawmill.  I would think that 6"x8" would be an ideal cross-section for the line due to the lighter loading.  Is there a company in the area that does creosoting?

Moxie Bootlegger