Author Topic: Slam Door (British) Coaches  (Read 3020 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Slam Door (British) Coaches
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:09:12 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Slam Door (British) Coaches has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

James Patten wrote:
I saw chairs on the standard gauge Cambrian Coast line when I was "over there".
Saw side door coaches too but only on the narrow gauge.

Wayne Laepple replied:
My Brit friends refer to the compartment coaches as "slam door" cars. The passengers would slam the doors when they boarded or left. There was no knob on the inside, and as trains came into the stations, it was common to see passenger dropping the window in the door so they could reach outside and let themselves out. Then you'd hear the doors "slam, slam, slam, slam." There may still be a few of them in service, but somehow I doubt it.

gordon cook replied:
Ah, thanks Wayne, 'slam door'  was the phrase I was trying to think of. I heard they were going away but I get to experience them 2005.
I did have the opportunity to ride a Victorian vintage coach on the Bluebell Ry that had side doors but didn't have any internal connection between the compartments. Each compartment only had it's own door to the outside. I couldn't figure out how the conductor collected tickets?

Glenn Christensen replied:
I did have the opportunity to ride a Victorian vintage coach on the Bluebell Ry that had side doors but didn't have any internal connection between the compartments. Each compartment only had it's own door to the outside. I couldn't figure out how the conductor collected tickets?
Hi Gordon,
We rode one of the slam door coaches on the Bluebell in 2006.  It was a beautifully restored 1st Class coach with royal blue upholstery.  Maybe we rode in the same car.
At any rate, I recall the guard had to let us into the compartment  (i.e. - unlocked it for us) and then we had to present our tickets several additional times before the train left the station.  I'm guessing it was probably done the same way during the "glory days".
Best Regards,
Glenn

Wayne Laepple replied:
Does anyone here recall the wonderful movie "The Quiet Man?" There's a great scene at the station when John Wayne is looking for Maureen O'Hara, and he strides down the platform, slamming the doors of the compartment coaches one after the other, until he finds her. St. Patrick's Day is coming up -- everybody put in your orders to Netflix!

Jon Dandridge replied:
I think the last slam door stock ran in 2005, the Southern Region EMU's (not sure what is the private railway of the month that is now running that service). They also had wonderful traction motor sounds. I was at Clapham Jct. heading for Victoria when I heard one pull in, unfortunately several platforms away from where I was, could not get over there is time for a last ride 
Jon

Dave Crow replied:
There are restored slam-door coaches in service on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway.
Dave Crow
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum