Author Topic: What's a camp?  (Read 2492 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
What's a camp?
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:01:48 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
What's a camp? has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

jockellis wrote:
Hi!
In Wayne's Trains piece, he quotes a worker as saying his family owned a "camp" on some other 2 footer. My 95-year old neighbor, a retired school superintendent from New Hampshire, tells me he and his wife owned a camp back there. So what is a camp? I always thought a camp was like comedian Alan Sherman's Camp Granada. You know, "Hello, Mudda, hello, fadda. Here I am at Camp Granada. . . .
Jock Ellis

Ray Davidowski replied:
Um, the next step up from camping in a tent?  And more permanent.  I know a few people who have hunting camps up in the northern PA forests...those are like shacks or small houses with the bare necessities to live there and cook.  Kinda like having a second home, though I'd say the purpose is a little less for the scenery itself as it is for the getting-out-in-the-wilderness mission.

John McNamara replied:
"Camp" seems to be a Maine (or perhaps all New England) term for a second home. The actual building can be anything from a tar paper shack with accompanying out house to a luxurious home with all modern conveniences.

Mike Fox replied:
I agree with John's definition. I Always have heard people from away call their summer cottages camps. Some people have more invested in their camps than locals do in their house.
Mike

Bill Sample replied:
Church sponsored "camp meeting grounds" that I have seen started with tents and gradually the tents acquired walls and roofs to become cottages, in southern New England anyway many of these cottages are "gingerbread" style.
I imagine a lot of folks bought property, camped first, then built summer homes which sometimes have become year rounders.  My wife's grandfather bought some land back in the early 1920s near Seal Cove Maine and for the first few years it was a tent for shelter.  Then they built c.1927 what they call "the bungalow" on that property, still in the family today, used May-Oct. But the old pictures show their summers there started with a big tent.

Stewart Rhine replied:
One of the phrases I've heard in Maine ...
"We're gon up ta camp"
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum