Author Topic: Art imitating life...  (Read 2926 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Art imitating life...
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:58:34 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Art imitating life... has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Stephen Hussar wrote:
Did you know that the quasi-fictional narrow gauge, "Skarloey Railway" located on the Isle of Sodor is run by a "Mr Percival?" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skarloey_Railway
"The Thin Controller was introduced in Four Little Engines, the tenth volume of the Railway Series and has now been introduced into the Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends TV series as Mr. Percival, the narrow-gauge controller. He is based upon Edward Thomas general manager of the Talyllyn Railway."

Dave Buczkowski replied:
Steve;
After all those hours watching the Thomas videos with my young sons the theme song still comes into my head from time to time but I don't remember a Mr. Percival... I do qoute the series from time to time "The law is the law."
Dave

Stephen Hussar replied:
Dave, I spent quite a lot of time watching "Thomas" with my son too, but that was 5-6 years ago. Mr Percival is a recent addition that came along with the new "Thomas & Friends" episodes that are now running on public television. As with the original series, these episodes are based on original Rev. Awdry stories. I just found it ironic that they chose to name the character "Mr Percival," and that he runs Sodor's narrow gauge lines! 

Mike Fox replied:
I remember Skarloey and Peter Sam from watching them with Joe. Guess I missed the "Percival" connection too.
Mike
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum