Author Topic: Busy day at MNG  (Read 7750 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Busy day at MNG
« on: October 27, 2008, 01:03:23 PM »
Saturday (the 25th) I went down to MNG for the morning to help with their track day.  Turns out they had quite a bit going on.

- A boom truck had arrived and was helping to remove the engine from loco #1 and install another engine.
- Later that day the boom truck helped to remove the cab off loco #7.
- Tie replacement along Fish Point (this is what I was involved with)
- Dodged the regular passenger train, operating in push-pull mode.

I helped replace perhaps a dozen or so ties, first removing some then helping to spike some.

As part of the tie replacement there was an air compressor and someone on the crew was doing some initial tamping with it, shoving stone under the ties to keep the level and alignment.  Ultimately from MNG's forum it looks like they replaced 40 ties, the total number they were looking to replace.

It's certainly a very different environment from Sheepscot, with lots of people walking, jogging, biking, rollerblading, or otherwise propelling themselves by you at any given time, on the pathway next to the railroad.  I'm used to the woods where you're well away from it all.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Busy day at MNG
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 06:14:21 PM »
So James, what you are saying is there is plenty of moving scenery. I'd probably wind up breaking the head off a spike maul as I totally miss the spike and tie while observing the surroundings.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 06:05:41 AM »
I'd probably wind up breaking the head off a spike maul as I totally miss the spike and tie while observing the surroundings.

If it had been about 30 degrees warmer there probably would be plenty of opportunity for missing the spike.  As it was everyone was bundled up against the cool weather and cool wind blowing off the water.

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 11:43:14 AM »
James,

Thank you very much for lending a hand on Saturday. It's certainly not as exciting as laying new track through the woods but is very important to our operating safely. We have the disadvantage of having rail on offset ties. This is a track crew's nightmare as weather and operations make the whole geometry lean over time. Unfortunately this was someone's bright idea 15 years ago that standard gauge would share the ROW. If that were to ever happen, every tie would have to be replaced due to their current condition.  Fortunately, we came to terms with MDOT a few years ago to clarify this situation and allow us to lay down ties that are the proper length for 2 foot gauge. Now you can see why we have a mix of lengths.