Author Topic: Novels of Maine and 2 footers?  (Read 2543 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Novels of Maine and 2 footers?
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:56:25 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Novels of Maine and 2 footers? has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

jockellis wrote:
Have any novels been set in Maine which mentioned the 2-foot gauge railroads?
Jock Ellis
Cumming, GA

James Patten replied:
I don't know of any adult books which mentioned the Maine Two Footers.
I have one book which I got as a kid, called "Engine Number Seven" by Eleanor Clymer.  It's a children's story about a fictional Maine Two Footer which ran from the village of Hogus to the town of Winslow, a 20 mile run.  As with all the two footers, one day there isn't enough business to support the railroad, so the town decided to shut it down.  The railroad is saved by two kids who, using the railroad, rescue a school bus trapped by snow.  Implied but not stated, the railroad goes on to become a tourist attraction.

Ira Schreiber replied:
The story line is a little like the story line in the British comedy, "The Titfield Thunderbolt" filmed in England in the mid-1950's. In this case, the railroad is rescued by a group of local citizens and their museum displayed train.

Bill Sample replied:
Back in the late 50s I had a book that took place in Maine, IIRC it was entitled "The Walton Boys:  Rapids Ahead"  Set in the 40s or early 50s it mentioned the Walton brothers taking a diesel train to some junction where they got onto a toy-like steam train to go into the Maine wilderness.   The toy -like reference has been used to describe the two footers a few too many times.

jockellis replied:
I wonder if the Maine 2-footers could get the publishers (who are they?) to reprint these books for sale at the various museums?
If you gents with the books will get me the  relevant information, I'll contact the publishers if possible.
Jock Ellis

Mike Fox replied:
Several books on sale now at the Museum are reprints of original books, although not novels. Unless you call Albion on the Narrow Gauge a novel.
Mike

John McNamara replied:
Back in the late 50s I had a book that took place in Maine, IIRC it was entitled "The Walton Boys:  Rapids Ahead"  Set in the 40s or early 50s it mentioned the Walton brothers taking a diesel train to some junction where they got onto a toy-like steam train to go into the Maine wilderness.   The toy -like reference has been used to describe the two footers a few too many times.
This book is available via Amazon in prices ranging from 48 cents to over $20, but mostly in the range of a few dollars. Due to the use of "and" or "&" or "in", and varieties of capitalization, there are four sets of different listings for the same basic title!

Scot Lawrence replied:
There is the "Moosepath League" series of novels that take place in Maine in the 1890's, that do feature a ride on the WW&F!
The WW&F section is short, has something to do with an escaped circus bear, (its been a few years since I read the books!)
they are very funny!
very entertaining books..
My wife has them all, and as she was reading one of them a few years ago said to me "they are about to get on a train in Wiscasset..was that one of your narrow railroads?"
so I picked up the book, started reading, and got hooked!
I then read them all..(I think there are three so far..)
they are written by Van Reid of Damariscotta.
http://www.moosepath.com
(sorry..I cant post links yet..havent made 5 posts yet)
Scot
(URL added by James)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum