Author Topic: Wooden boxcar construction  (Read 2944 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Wooden boxcar construction
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:46:17 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Wooden boxcar construction has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

jockellis wrote:
At the GE machine shop where I toil, we are getting in eight NEW! Starrag CNC mills which come in 8'6x21' wooden crates and make the shop look like it has a 19th century freight train in it.
This got me to thinking about how the old wooden box cars are put together. They were, I think, built before the modern building methods sof 2x4s was developed and I wondered how the real cars were made. I'd love to have a 40-foot outside braced boxcar in 12 inches to the foot scale instead of the 1:87 in my treasured copy of Eric Stevens' Dollar Cars book from Kalmbach.
Jock Ellis
Cumming, GA
Georgia Association of Railroad Passengers

mikechoochoo replied:
You need a copy of "The American Railroad Freight Car" by John White.
Try getting a copy thru the interlibary loan system at your local libary.
The book has every thing you need to know about how old freight cars were built, including working drawings.
Mikechoochoo

jockellis replied:
Thanks, Mike. I'll get it. I've got White's book on locomotives. Wish it told how to make one of those.
Jock Ellis
Cumming, GA
Georgia Association of Railroad Passengers
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum