Author Topic: Ellis Walker's article about the "Steam Dummy"  (Read 2911 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Ellis Walker's article about the "Steam Dummy"
« on: January 21, 2009, 09:31:42 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Ellis Walker's article about the "Steam Dummy" has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Bruce Wilson wrote:
After reading Ellis' article about the Steam Dummy in his "Musings" column, I took a long walk all around the Gardiner, Maine area. I was surprised to find a small yard still intact just to the south of the freight house. Within the yard is a standard gage caboose is poor condition with heavy vandalism and fire damage. The caboose has recently been moved from a side track closest to the Kennebec River, to a track near the freight house. Interestingly, the caboose was left fouling the main and for some reason not shoved into the clear on the siding. Maybe it was "switched" with a truck and chain, or piece of excavating equipment moved it as far as the curving rails would allow it to be dragged through the switch. Anyway, does anyone know what the fate of this caboose might be?
By the way, if you are contemplating a walking tour of the remaining railroad highlites of this town and planning on a weekend visit, the A-1 diner opens at 7 AM on Saturday and 8 AM on Sunday. Get there when it opens if you don't want to wait for a seat.

James Patten replied:
I thought I had seen a caboose in Gardiner on my way up Rt 27 in the mornings to work.  Can't see it now of course because of the leaves, but in winter/spring you can see it alright.  Never had a chance to get over there to look.

Bruce Wilson replied:
During my recent visits to South Gardiner in an attempt to locate where (in the late 1930's and early 1940's), the late Lawrence Brown had a private two foot gage railroad, I have noticed that the Gardiner rail yard is buried under deep snow and the caboose is gone, likely scrapped on site.
Two bald eagles were observed by me in a tree near the Gardiner freight house. The birds were looking out at the frozen Kennebec River, maybe hoping for Spring...

Joe Fox replied:
The 10 minute marker for me and Dad to get to the museum, is a caboose on route 27. I don't know the name of the town, but it is at the top of a hill, at a camp ground. The town is very close to Wiscasset, but that is all I know.
Joe

James Patten replied:
That's the Westside Campground, it's in Wiscasset.
From what I heard from Steve Z., the caboose in Gardiner was scrapped sometime last year.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum