Author Topic: Traffic!  (Read 2878 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Traffic!
« on: January 21, 2009, 09:25:22 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Traffic! has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Josh Botting wrote:
For all of you voulenteers who journey up from the South, summer has arrived!  Traffic was backed up today in  Wiscasset past Ames Supply, and almost to the Motor Lodge this afternoon.
If only you all knew my back routes.......

Ira Schreiber replied:
So share with us foreigners.....
I have no amphibious vehicles, so land routes only, please.
Thanks,
Ira

James Patten replied:
One back route a few of the Massachussett's regulars take is to get off of I-295 in Richmond instead of Brunswick.  Then make your way over to Rt 27, then south on 27 until you can head west to West Alna Rd right after the power lines, or get off at the Irving in Wiscasset and go north on Rt 218.

Josh Botting replied:
Ya getting off in Richmond is probably a good bet, however if it was me, I would take, i think its 197, to down town Richmond, in down town, head North, Left, and bank left towards dresden, I think still 197, to 127, head N, left, until 27, go almost straight, onto blin rd, or bog road, map is unclear, keep going straight, it will become rabbit path, and come out on 218 in head tide, i think its dirt, but people at work use it.
Alternate, get off rt 1, either middle road, 127 to old stager rd, east, right, to mountain rd, or get off rt 1 on mountain rd, near monsweag.  at end of mountain, right onto bradford,  200 yards or so to rummerhill, left steep hill.  At stop sign becomes dickension, dirt. To foye, right, to end of rd.  Left on 27, 200 yards, right onto huntoon hill rd.  At end of road, right onto old dump rd, and left on to west alna, to cross rd. Lots of roads, not that far.  Now that costs extra......
good luck...

Ira Schreiber replied:
I think that I will put up with the traffic.  Probabally no longer time wise and much less brain damage for me.
Ira ( Directionally challanged but that is why people tell me where to go)

Ira Schreiber replied:
Hey, I just made injunear and I can't spell it!
Ira

Mike Fox replied:
Through Richmond is the way to go. From 295, take 197 through Richmond and follow it over to 27 in Dresden. Turn right on 27 (South I Think) and head towards Wiscasset. After going a few miles and seeing a caboose near a campground, take the next left where the powerlines cross the road. The road has a name but I don't remember it. Follow this to Alna Center road, only a mile or so long. Turn left to head towards Alna. After a few georgeous miles, keep an eye out for Cross Road. There is a sign there but it is turned a little so it is hard to see. It is the only paved road on the right after turning onto Alna Center road. 1 mile down Cross Road to the Station.
Of course if you plan on being at Sheepscot before 9, traffic should not be a problem. After that though, everyone gets out and about and then we get the bumper to bumper.
Mike

Josh Botting replied:
Mike,
I beileve it is old dump road, and its west alna rd, not alna center road.
Have you ever tried the rabbit path road through dresden?

James Patten replied:
Rabbit Path is, IMHO, only for those that really enjoy taking Maine's back roads.  The Dresden side (different named road) is unpaved, which is OK.  Rabbit Path (Alna side) is paved and probably shouldn't be (many potholes).
Much less wear and tear on the vehicle by taking 27, Dump Road, and West Alna Rd.

Mike Fox replied:
It might be old Dump road but that doesn't sound right. The dumpt (transfer station) is on it though. And yes, I meant West Alna Road.
I went on the Rabbit Path road once. I would use it for leisure travel only. As James has said, the dirt stretch is smoother. Nice area though. Great place for a camp.
Mike

gordon cook replied:
It might be old Dump road but that doesn't sound right. The dumpt (transfer station) is on it though. And yes, I meant West Alna Road.
I went on the Rabbit Path road once. I would use it for leisure travel only. As James has said, the dirt stretch is smoother. Nice area though. Great place for a camp.
Mike
Yeah, I went on the Rabbit path once, too, DeLorme didn't seem to know it wasn't paved. I think I'll stall and crawl rather than bump and grind.
My guess is that by the time you go up around Richmond it's not a lot shorter than staying on 1, but it's less stressful fer sure.
I have used Old Bath Road off Route 1, a left across from the car dealer, I think, just past the Wiscasset Motor Lodge, just follow it along and it comes back in at Rt. 1 at the bottom of the sag before Wiscasset, and usually you can jump back in 'cause they don't know that you've just jumped the line.  Damn tourists!

Jon Dandridge replied:
Any good shortcuts from the East? We go up to Lubec at times in the summer and recently I came back through Alna using route 3 from Belfast, to 32, then 32 to South Windsor, then 32/17 to 218.  Seems like I was going west to come east so I wondered if there was a more direct way off of route 3.
We then made the mistake of deciding to go to Ship's Chow Hall before looking around and got stuck in the bumper to bumper coming back, arggh!
At least the food was good.
By the way, it was good to see how much progress has been made since we were there last in October, especially the new water tank. Keep up the good work!
Jon

PCo622 replied:
Yea, I've taken that shortcut to the RR whenever I am in the Bowdoinham area.  Blinn Hill Road then a gradual right onto Bog Road then Rabbit Path.  I admit that it is a little bumpy, but at leat your moving!!!

Stephen Hussar replied:
I have used Old Bath Road off Route 1, a left just past the Wiscasset Motor Lodge, just follow it along and it comes back in at Rt. 1 at the bottom of the sag before Wiscasset
Taking Old Bath Rd cuts 1.8 miles of traffic out of the trip...well worth it when it's at a standstill...
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum