Author Topic: April snow in Maine...  (Read 2639 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
April snow in Maine...
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:04:59 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
April snow in Maine... has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Stephen Hussar wrote:
As of 10am EST it looks like it's snowing in Alna...will Saturday be a snowy steam event? 

gordon cook replied:
Quote from: Stephen Hussar
As of 10am EST it looks like it's snowing in Alna...will Saturday be a snowy steam event? 
Don't put away the boots and parka just yet. Forecast for Saturday is snow showers, highs in the 30's.
Spring time in Paris (Maine, that is)  la la la

Mike Fox replied:
Expecting 6 to 12 inches tonight. Less in Alna area, but still might be enough for some good snow shots. And definately cold enough to make some good steam.
mIKE

John McNamara replied:
Well, it is now 00:20 EDT on Thursday morning and the radar that Steve posted shows it is still snowing vigorously in Maine.
When it stops, can someone tell us how much is on the ground in Alna?
-John

Joe Fox replied:
Hi all,
We have about 2 feet of snow here in Waterford. This means that the steam engine will be running through snow. Lot of snow to move here. Anybody who didn't get to take pictures of the steam in the snow for Victorian Christmas, can do it now it looks like. How much snow do you have James? Talk to you guys later.
Joe

James Patten replied:
We have at least 6 inches at the house.  I can't tell if it rained at all during the night.  I'm sure we'll accumulate another 2 - 4.

Josh Botting replied:
I am about 10 mi away from the museum, and I would guess, 18" this morning, it compacted quiet a bit today, but I shoveled at least 12", probably more like 14 of heavy wet snow today, most snow we have seen all season, and the only all snow event here this year!
I flew in last night, I duno how the plane got down, but it did.  Still no power, although main drag has power.  Phones just returned a bit ago.

Joe Fox replied:
At least we will be able to take pictures of the steam engine in the snow. To bad we couldn't have had snow for the victorian christmas. Talk to you guys later.
Joe

Stewart Rhine replied:
Maine Highway and CMP officials are calling the snow one of the worst April storms since 1883.  For those of us from away, video news reports are posted on WCSH6.com

Josh Botting replied:
Still now powere here, I will try to take a ride over towards the museum and see if there is power in a bit.

Mike Fox replied:
As far as this being the worst April snow in Maine since 1883, I think they are full of it. Atleast up away from the coast it was not bad at all. Just another April snowstorm. I think the reason they are calling it that is because it affected a lot of people in the heavier populated areas where one tree can knock out several thousand customers. Luckily most of us up here have been through these things before and are prepared with backup generators and wood stoves.
Josh, I hope your power returns today. The snow has settled quite a bit up here and is all off the trees. Must be the same down your way.
Mike

Josh Botting replied:
I went out to the station, there was power there!  Zack was shoveling the platform, and Vern was there as well.  I took pictures, I will see if Steve H will post them.
Mike, no power yet.  Scouted out the road today, a breaker is flipped about 3 miles from here.  Something knocked a wire off the pole near it.  However the line isn't damaged, just not touching one of the poles, anyway,  Its like the comercial say, flip a swich and they will be there.  No one has been out yet, Brunswick is nailed bad, always is its the geology of the area, they will get those city people up before they come to take care of us.
As far as the worst April storm, its the most snow in my memory in April.  I remember when I was young shoveling on Easter.  Probally, 83, but just bairley.
I like the spring storms, a pain to shovel, but the roads clear right off as soon as the sun hits them.....

James Patten replied:
When I shoveled Thursday afternoon, there was a foot on my walkway.
Power was out for about 36 hours, and just came on an hour+ ago.
Keep the woodstove going and make sure we've got bottles of water stored up.

Stephen Hussar replied:
Here ya go. I just got in from SF and got the images myself. Thanks, Josh!

John McNamara replied:
Let's get this straight - you flew in from San Franscisco and came directly to the museum? Wow, you've got museum-itis real bad

Stephen Hussar replied:
Let's get this straight - you flew in from San Franscisco and came directly to the museum?
No, but that would sure make for a good story! Josh took the pics around 2pm, and sent them to me.
(I really did fly in from SF tonight...I didn't go to the museum however).

Josh Botting replied:
Actually I flew in from VA to maine on wendsday in the storm as well, so I was lucky to get back to take those pictures.....
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum