Author Topic: Mention of the Museum on other boards  (Read 2377 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Mention of the Museum on other boards
« on: January 12, 2009, 12:00:24 AM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Mention of the Museum on other boards has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

John McNamara wrote:
For several months now, there has been a discussion thread on Railroad.Net New England Railfan concerning Maine Central 501. The most recent postings by "eriemike" of Malden MA concern WW&F people and our museum. They include:
This is good news! Very Happy I spoke with a friend who is a member of the model RR club that is located in the freight building at Conway Scenic. He also confirmed that work will commence on the 501 very shortly. One of the guys from Boothbay Village that will be working on the 501 is Jason. He and his co-worker have already have done a look over of the 501. If they are involved then there will be no question that things will happen.
and
Simply letting the world know what has been done and what is realistically planned in the future can do amazing things. This simple method has worked beautifully for the WW&FRy Musuem. They set very narrow and achievible goals each year and they almost always get more money than they ask for. They also do a first rate job of letting their members and the the rest of the world know what has been accomplished with those funds that were brougt in. It is one of the many reasons that I'm a member there. I hope that the 470 does the same thing, but regardless I'm beyond thrilled that we may actually see the 501 gliding on the rails in Crawford Notch.
High praise for our guys!

Joe Fox replied:
Thanks John. I have been told by many tourists that they think the W, W, & F Ry museum is one of the best well organized and presented museum's in the country. We are one of the very few organizations that are restoring an original railroad back to how it used to look in the 1920's. Talk to you guys later.
Joe

eriemike replied:
Boy, I was suprised to see my comments recounted here   As a long time member and active participant in the twice a year weekend work parities at the WW&F, I think it is a rarity that you see the kind of unified goals that the Museum has.  Espeically in New England, where you see many other like organizations that have a tendency to get side tracked from the mission by many kinds of non-mission issues.
Restoring a railroad the way the WW&FRy Musuem has is a huge elephant to eat.  It is nice that you have all decided to eat that elephant in small bites.  Doing it that way makes digesting it easier and more satisfying.
I very much look forward in helping out next weekend.  See you then!

Joe Fox replied:
I know that many people I talk to can't believe that we go through so much hard work to rebuild the railroad. I told them that one of the reasons why we do it, is so that we can show the public what things in the Sheepscot Valley might have looked like when the railroad was still in operation. They all ways say we have done a great job, and first time passengers are always a real treat, especially when they come back for a second trip. Many people love the yard tours, and in the future, I think that should be something worth doing if somebody can do that for that particular day. Even though I give free yard tours when I am available, I have made a $15 dollar tip over the past year from it, not much, but I don't care because by the end of the day, the money that people give me willingly as thanks for the yard tour, always finds it's way into the donation box. However, not every day I gave a yard tour I made money, or should I say, the museum made money. But the people love the tours, and I just think that is something worth thinking about, because even though they are free, we can still earn a little money off of them every year.
Joe

MikeW replied:
I spent the entire day on Saturday painting in or on 103.  That gave me a good chance to see and hear what goes on during a normal (ie, non-event) Saturday in the yard area.  Several volunteers such as Fred took a great deal of time to lead visitors around explaining the work, equipment and history.  I think I enjoyed it as much as the visitors seemed to!  And I think I learned a couple things too!  My point is, Joe is right - the yard tours are a very important aspect of what we do.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum