Author Topic: Forum oddities and problems  (Read 2428 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Forum oddities and problems
« on: January 11, 2009, 11:59:27 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Forum oddities and problems has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

James Patten wrote:
Wayne reported to me that he's pretty sure his poster counter is stuck at a certain number, and wanted to know if it was him or the forum as a whole.
Note that this ought to be post #453 for me, I'm pretty sure.  And after Joe's post about his post number and a train number, others don't seem to be affected by this glitch.
Anyway, between counters, and times, speed of access, and other problems or little annoying things other people seem to encounter from time to time, I suspect the programming behind these boards may not be the most bullet-proof of programming you can find.  It could also be hardware issues, network issues (I have no idea where this board is based out of - could be Japan for all I know), and a host of other gremlins that make our internet life such a challenge at times.
In short, because I have no access to anything other than the user interface, I have little control over the underlying structure of this forum.  Please understand that.  Because of this you may have noticed that I tend to take a laissez-faire attitude about certain problems.  You can always click on the "phpbb" icon at the top left and find the admin board and monitor it for reported issues.
Anything I can help with, such as password, log-on issues, and so forth, I'm glad to help as far as I am able.

Phil Raynes replied:
For what its worth, I checked all my posts and they were ALL set at "7"! (Most were under the Welsh Highland section.)  Perhaps the counter somehow updates all a person's previous posts to the most recent figure.  This post should be number 8 for me, but if all my previous posts now have #8, then that could well be what is happening!
Phil

Phil Raynes replied:
Yep - that is what is happening.  I just checked, and all my previous posts were now set at #8.  That makes this post #9, so all my previous ones will now be set at #9.  I checked several other's posts, and all the ones I saw were set at whatever their last post was. Aren't computers amazing!
Phil

gordon cook replied:
I don't understand the job titles that appear under our name on the postings.
Is that based on number of posts? Length of time on the board? Self determined???

Dave Buczkowski replied:
Gawdon;
It's number of posts. The more you natter on, the bigger your promotion.
Dave

Phil Raynes replied:
So if we get titles depending on the number of our posts (I must just be a "gofer", since I don't have one yet!), is that how James Patten got his?!! 
Phil

James Patten replied:
Unfortunately I don't think I have a choice as to my title.

Stewart Rhine replied:
James,  I sent a PM to a list member and it acted like it didn't go through.  An hour later I checked my outbox and sent items box and it wasn't there so I wrote another message.  After another half an hour, both messages showed up!  That's never happened before.  I'm not sure if the intended receiver got one or two messages.

gordon cook replied:
Gawdon;
It's number of posts. The more you natter on, the bigger your promotion.
Dave
Ahhh, that explains so much!
And who determines the thresholds?
What comes after engineer? Super? GM? President? Grand Poobah?

Ira Schreiber replied:
James IS the Grand Poobah!
(At least of the forum)

Dave Buczkowski replied:
Gawdon;
I would think "Conductor" must be lurking below the surface or "Dispatcher". James is keeping silent on this matter. I'll bet Joe hits the next one first.
Dave

James Patten replied:
The forum admin determines the threshholds.  Mike and Joe are getting close to the next one.

Mike Fox replied:
Guess I'll have to find more to say!

James Patten replied:
I'd like to congratulate Mike Fox on being the first CONDUCTOR on the forum.
And for beating me in the number of posts.

Mike Fox replied:
I did not realize I had that much to say! I'll let someone else get the next big mark.
Mike

Ira Schreiber replied:
I can hit the SUBMIT button up to six times before my message goes through.
I keep getting the error message "invalid session Please resubmit"
Anyone else have this problem?
Ira

elecuyer replied:
I have not seen that problem, Ira. Are you having any other troubles with different web sites - especially forums, etc?

Ira Schreiber replied:
Ed,
This is the only forum with this problem. It started about two weeks ago. Very frustrating.
Iar

Ira Schreiber replied:
The previous message took two attempts to send.
IRA

elecuyer replied:
Very odd. Anyone besides Ira having this issue?

Dave Buczkowski replied:
Ed;
I just posted without any problem but when I logged in the box didn't populate as it usually does.
Dave

James Patten replied:
Ira, I wonder where you came East just a few weeks ago, your internet connection might be behaving a little differently where you get online here than what you are used to at home?

Bill Sample replied:
I usually get the "invalid session" on several sites, either logging on, off or making a post.  This also happens with other phpBB powered sites, including MNGRR and the Severn Valley Railway, a UK site.  I just keep hitting the enter button and eventually it goes through.

Ira Schreiber replied:
I'm glad that I am not the only one.  Last nights post to the forum took SEVEN tries, a new record.

elecuyer replied:
FYI...
Ira's problems continued and I did some research.
The "Invalid Session" error is due to a compatibility issue with AOL's Internet browser and the security features of this forum. In short, AOL's browser keeps changing its identifier to the discussion forum, which confuses the forum into thinking that someone else is trying to post a message using your account.
The solution is to use Internet Explorer, Firefox, or any other web browser besides AOL. (It appears though that AOL can still be used as the ISP.)
If anyone cares more about the details, or is having this problem when using a browser other than AOL, please let me know.
-Ed Lecuyer
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum