Author Topic: Member Robert W. Richarson Dies at 96  (Read 2339 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Member Robert W. Richarson Dies at 96
« on: January 11, 2009, 11:52:54 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Member Robert W. Richarson Dies at 96 has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Allan Fisher wrote:
Long time member Bob Richardson has died of pneumonia at age 96.
Sometimes called the "Father of the Colorado Narrow Gauge Museums", Bob was generous over the years with gifts to our annual fund, and to our archives. You may remember an article a few years ago in our newsletter on Bob's interest in the Albion RPO Stamp - which had evidently been renewed  just before the last train ran on the WW&F in 1933. Bob had examples of the older and newer RPO stamp.

Stewart Rhine replied:
I met Mr. Bob at the East Broad Top one year.  We were on the train and he was seated across the isle from me.  He saw my WW&F hat and asked if I had been to Maine recently.  I had some photos and showed them to him.  He was pleased to see the latest entension of the main line. We had a nice conversation that lasted much of the trip.
Over the years I read of how he saved many Colorado 3 foot cars and engines.  He told me about the closing days of the Rio Grande Southern.  Meeting him was a great experience, he will be missed by historians on both sides of the country.

Wayne Laepple replied:
I also met Bob Richardson at the East Broad Top a couple of years ago. He very patiently answered my questions about riding the EBT back in the day, and then regaled me with some stories about riding the Clarion River Railway's "school bus boxcar" and the narrow gauge Tionesta Valley shortly before both were abandoned. Even though he was best known for his interest and knowledge of Colorado narrow gauge railroads, he had ridden and visited many narrow gauges and shortlines in the east during the 1930's and 40's. And he was probably the man most responsible for railway preservation as it is today, not the plaything of the super-rich, but something we common working folk can be part of. Thanks, Bob.

Ira Schreiber replied:
I,too, had met Bob on several occasions. A most accomodating gentleman.
A little bit of history has left us, but alot remains due to his efforts.

Allan Fisher replied:
The WW&F has just been notified that the Museum is one of only three special bequests in Bob's Will. The other two bequests are to the Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec and the OR&L Historical Society in Ohio.
This should reinforce in all of us the fact that we are definitely a Museum that does things the right way.

Joe Fox replied:
Sorry to hear about his passing. Glad all of you guys have some good memories of him. After a friend, someone we know, or a loved one dies, that is all we are left with. No matter how much it hurts to know they are gone, we will all ways cherish those memories. Talk to you guys later.
Joe

Mike Fox replied:
There is an article in this Month's issue (May) of Railfan and Railroad about Bob. On Page 12, written by Jim Boyd.
Mike
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum