Author Topic: Two Footer Museum meetings  (Read 2706 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Two Footer Museum meetings
« on: January 11, 2009, 11:45:44 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Two Footer Museum meetings has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

James Patten wrote:
For those of you that recall Mike Moulison's postings about getting the museums together for a sit-down meeting, we have a date.
March 3 at 11 AM we will meet at MNGRR for the first ever joint meeting of two-footer museums.  I have not been told that it's not open to everyone interested, so I'm extending the invitation to the WW&F community to come if you are interested.
Let me warn you, however, that it will involve more than looking at the Rangely or viewing the new track used for Santa fest.  I expect we'll be talking about policies, discovering what we have in common and how we can help each other.  I'm fairly sure these discussions will be high level.  If you don't like meetings or extended talking, these won't be for you.
Discretion will be expected - there may be things we learn there about each other that should not be common knowledge.  If you can't keep a secret, don't come.

ETSRRCo replied:
I will not be able to make it (its a little fare for me to travel) but would you please let use all know how things go?
-Eric

James Patten replied:
I certainly will.

Joe Fox replied:
Hi James,
Are you guys going to talk about what things are going to be done during the Narrow Gauge Convention?
Joe

James Patten replied:
I am certain that the Convention will be brought up.

Joe Fox replied:
Does anybody know for certain what time, and day(s) the people from the convention will be at the museum from Portland?

Allan Fisher replied:
The 56 seat bus will leave the Portland Holiday Inn on Tuesday , Wednesday and Thursday of the Convention at 12:15pm. It will arrive at Boothbay Railway Village at about 1:30, and at WW&F at about 2pm. Bus will then make two round trips from WW&F to Boothbay Railway Village and return, leaving WW&F at 5:00pm to put conventioneers back to Portland in time for early evening clinics.

Josh Botting replied:
What is this convention which you all speak of?

James Patten replied:
The National Narrow Gauge Convention is being held in Portland this year.  Usually it seems to be held in or near Colorado.
I would guess most everybody from the Convention will visit MNGRR, as it's less than a mile away from the hotel.

Bill Sample replied:
As the date of the Two Footer Museum Meeting is fast approaching, is there anything new to report on what will be discussed?
What groups will be participating?

James Patten replied:
I believe all 4 musuems are participating.  The WW&F will be well represented with 5 people there.
I'm sure we'll discuss fundraising, cooperation, as well as what's going on with all of us.

Bruce Wilson replied:
Strictly as a volunteer and in an un-official capacity, I will represent the Albion Historical Society at the meeting. If anything comes up at the meeting relevant to the goals or interests of the A.H.S., I will pass it along to Carl and Phil in Albion.

Bruce Wilson replied:
James,
Will anyone from the Friends of Bedford Depot Park in Massachusetts be in attendence...?
Bruce

Joe Fox replied:
Will the national narrow gauge convention be paid rides, or will it be a free event?

James Patten replied:
I am not aware of anyone from FBDP being invited.

dwight winkley replied:
I believe  the Registration Fee is $70.00   A night at the hotel will cost you $139.00
dwight

John McNamara replied:
Will the national narrow gauge convention be paid rides, or will it be a free event?
Has anyone an answer to this one? I expect that we will probably be offering a group discount of some sort for trips on our railroad.

Allan Fisher replied:
There is absolutely no reason to offer discounts to draw people from the Convention. I expect almost all will travel up to see our museum and will be more than happy to fork over the $6.00 per ride, or $15.00 for all day rides.

Joe Fox replied:
Ok. Thanks you guys.

James Patten replied:
Here's a quick run-down on the meeting we had Saturday.
First we introduced ourselves.  Bill Berry from SR&RL was unable to make it, but we had 6 of us representing the WW&F: myself, Zack, Bob G., Eric, Cliff, and Bruce (who also represented Albion).  From Boothbay there was Bob Ryan and Brian Fanslau.  Mike Moulison, Lincoln Good, and Brian Durham represented MNGRR.  And there was somebody (name forgotten) representing the NG convention.
We then discussed the convention, and our plans for it.  We discussed the possibility of a single ticket to cover everybody.  The convention rep. encouraged all of us to publicize the convention to our memberships.
We discussed joint marketing.  A committee has been formed from the group to further discuss that.
We discussed some of our strengths and weaknesses.  This led to a discussion of leasing out MNG excess cars to other museums.
We broke up around 3.  The plan is to try to meet quarterly.

Joe Fox replied:
Thanks for the info James.
Joe

Bruce Wilson replied:
James,
The gentleman at the meeting discussing plans for the Nat'l Narrow Gauge Convention was George Barrett. He is working with Matt and Martha Sharpe of Train & Trooper to produce the convention.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum