Author Topic: Current radar loop for New England  (Read 6390 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Current radar loop for New England
« on: January 11, 2009, 10:38:02 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Current radar loop for New England has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Stephen Hussar wrote:
The blue area is snow, green is rain and pink is sleet and freezing rain...ENJOY! 

Mike Fox replied:
Atleast I see we (Maine) aren't the only New England states that get to enjoy this spring storm.

Wayne Laepple replied:
It's coming down pretty good here in Pennsylvania, too.

Josh Botting replied:
I live about 10 miles from the museum, it has been snowing for an hour and a half, we already have an inch and a half of snow.

Joe Fox replied:
It just started snowing here in Waterford. The time was 6:15. Only a dusting so far. Talk to you guys later.
Joe

Mike Fox replied:
Steve,
Get to the museum early for more plowing shots

Stephen Hussar replied:
Pretty funny Mike, the sad thing is it could be mostly sleet and rain at Sheepscot in the morning..yuck.
Just FYI the above radar loop will continue to update automatically. So anytime anyone wants to see what's going on just come to the forum.

Stewart Rhine replied:
Hey,  Sleet isn't any fun.  Got 4 inches of it in Northern Maryland today and now it's snowing on top of it.  It's kind of like driving in a slushy! 

Joe Fox replied:
Nice example Stewart. I am gle to see that here in Maine, we are almost out of the storm. Talk to you guys later.
Joe

Josh Botting replied:
I had about 8-10" at 0700 this morning.  About that time it moved breiflly to sleet, than to solid rain.  Lots of rain, now have 6" or so of solid slush.  Very heavy very messy.  Not a good for plowing.  If it sets up, we won't get it off the tracks until mother nature decides to take it her self.

James Patten replied:
No worries about slush on the tracks.  Jason and I plowed this morning, but the snow wasn't very high.  Looks like it may all melt this week.

Joe Fox replied:
Glad to hear that you and Jason cleared the line. Is it possible to keep the snow banks cleaned out, just in case a person wants to use any of the bell crossings, such as Alna Center for example?
Did you and Jason plow out the sidings and yard tracks as well? Talk to you guys later.
Joe

Ira Schreiber replied:
I worked all day at our 7 1/2" track site. The weather was barely tolerable, 75* and sunny. Much sweat and dehydration.
Nothing to plow but our 90' tunnel still had snow in it from previous storms.
We may use it as a temporary meat locker.
Ira

James Patten replied:
We only plowed out the main line, didn't touch any of the sidings.  No ice problems on any of the crossings.

Joe Fox replied:
Oh. How much snow was total? Thanks James.
Talk to you guys later.
Joe

James Patten replied:
We might have gotten five or six inches.  Then the sleet, freezing rain, and rain came down, soaked in, and packed it down.  It's probably solid ice right now.

Stewart Rhine replied:
A BIG thanks to ACCUSteve for posting the radar loop.  It's good to see what the weather is doing at Sheepscot on any given day.  We can now check Forum messages and Weather on the same site.  Plus, the map shows from Northern Maryland up to Maine, my favorite travel zone.

Ira Schreiber replied:
I just thought that I would throw in an update on my trip back to Colorado last week.
I left Maine on Tuesday, the 16th and arrived home on Saturday the 20th. It was 74* and clear. Next morning we had 5" of snow. By this past Tuesday it was up to 80* and Thursday it hit 84* in downtown Denver. Such is the weather, whether you like it or not.
I all ready miss the WW&F. I must have a disease besides insanity.
Take care.
Ira

Ira Schreiber replied:
Well, I hope everyone is dug out in the NE. The Patriots pulled one out and the world is relieved.
The weather, here in Denver, today was a record setter. 78* in downtown Denver and 75* at the airport. Snow is predicted for Thursday.
Only in Colorado..............

Ray Davidowski replied:
[hijack]
Patriots pulled one out and the world is relieved.
We'll see you this weekend 
[/hijack]

petecosmob replied:
Hey,
I heard a rumor you guys are getting some snow right now.
(Oh, lok...there's a light film of white over this part of CT!) Hmm..guess it's not a rumor after all!
Pete

Joe Fox replied:
Well,
By the looks of things right now, I will be going to school during my vacations, due to all the snow days we have had, and we might have snow until June. We are supposed to have another storm tomorrow, Saturday night into Sunday, another storm Tuesday night into Wednesday and Thursday. Not looking good. Will the snow ever stop? LOL
Joe

Mike Fox replied:
So far, to date, here in Waterford this year I have measured 85 inches of snow for this winter. Makes me tired just thinking of all the white stuff.
Mike

Ira Schreiber replied:
The local temperature in Aurora, CO is:     30.9*
The local temperature in Wiscasset, ME is:  30.9*
I bet that does not happen often.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum