Author Topic: Track work July 4  (Read 1974 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Track work July 4
« on: January 11, 2009, 11:10:46 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Track work July 4 has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

James Patten wrote:
In light of the fact that not much trackwork has been done to the operating railroad this year, I'm calling for a trackwork day on Friday, July 4.  Yes, Independence Day.
If you hate parades as much as I do, come join me.  I plan to be jacking, tamping, and lining between Trask Crossing and Alna Center.
I will continue the next morning on Saturday, July 5, and work as long as possible without disrupting passenger trains.

James Patten replied:
Reminder to everybody about track work this Friday and Saturday, July 4 and 5.
Friday I plan to leave the yard at about 8, and quit around 3.  Saturday I plan to leave Sheepscot at 7, and work on the mainline until the first train, and within Alna Center yard limits for the remainder of the day.
I'm planning on starting at Trask's and working my way north.  Hopefully I'll be able to do the entire stretch to Averill Road in those two days.

Dana Deering replied:
James,
If you are able to get that stretch done then I will work from Trask Crossing southward on 7/11 and then work on the Ladder and northward on 7/12.  I am hoping we can get this all done, then we can work south from Humason Brook on another day.
Dana

James Patten replied:
Between the two days, we were able to get between 2/3rds and 3/4ths of the way between Trask Crossing and the southern Alna Center yard limits.  We had 4 people on Friday, and 6 or 7 people on Saturday morning.  We would have done more if we'd had more time on Friday (I had to leave at 3), and work by the AC station got interrupted by crew not being available (including myself right after lunch).
It made a noticeable difference - I was cruising along in the diesel southbound without realizing how fast I was going, then right after Trask crossing started getting bounced around.
We need to make efforts to keep this up.  I'd encourage anyone who can to make our Saturday morning workings, and make (or set up) the Friday ones.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum