Author Topic: Spring Work Weekend agenda  (Read 2066 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Spring Work Weekend agenda
« on: January 11, 2009, 11:08:34 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Spring Work Weekend agenda has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Wayne Laepple wrote:
Okay, guys. Now it's two weeks from the Spring Track Meet. For the benefit of those of us "from away" and potential new volunteers, what's on the agenda? How deep is the snow (or mud)? Are the roads posted? What's up?
I for one am certainly looking forward to seeing the water tank in action, not to mention the progress on no. 9 and the Percival house. And I'm looking forward to getting away from the 9-5 rat race for a few days.

James Patten replied:
Snow?  The snow is mainly gone.
As for mud, I don't think there'll be too much to worry about.  The snowpack was fairly steady all winter, so frost didn't get in too far; and the melting has been slow but steady, so the water has drained away easily.
For example, a portion of my driveway is always a mudhole during spring time.  This year, however, there was very little mud, and the plowed snow pile is nearly gone.
Roads are still posted.

Mike Fox replied:
As of Tuesday, there was no snow on the ballast. There was some in the ditches but it will be gone by the work weekend. Some of the ditches that had no snow had water flowing in them. We are bound to have some mud when the time comes, it's just that type of soil. Hopefully it will be as James has said, not deep. Just slippery.
Averil Road was snow covered and that might be muddy still then.
Mike

htbrandes replied:
Does anyone know what is on the agenda? Ballasting? Tamping?

James Patten replied:
Yes to both.  Dana may have more in mind as well.

Stewart Rhine replied:
I will echo what Wayne said...  many of us from away are looking forward to being at the railroad next week.  Some of us are even starting a little early.   Wednesday and Thursday will have volunteers installing brakes on flat car 126 and coach 8.  Another project will be continuing work on the exterior of the water tank building, weather permitting.  Some of these projects will continue through the weekend.  Flat 126 will be done first as it is needed for track work on Friday.

Dana Deering replied:
The plan for the work weekend is simple:  Work on the newly laid section north of Albee's Crossing:  Surface, line, dress ballast, repeat, until we have the whole section in service.  On Friday we get things organized and then the jacking and tamping crew goes to work first.  As soon as they have enough track ready the lining crew will follow.  Once the lining crew has lined all the "ready track" we'll move up with ballast and dress the lined section.  This process repeats until we have it all in service.  If we get that done and have time left the whole crew will move to Alna Center and work south surfacing and lining the mainline as far as we can go.  There may be other small jobs depending on the crew numbers but the main thrust is as described above.  I did some work on that section on Saturday and the snow is all gone.  Be sure to bring rain gear, just in case, and bug dope, just in case.  I haven't seen any black flies down my way yet but temperatures are supposed to warm up this week and they could start hatching out.  The postings have been removed from Cross Road so ballast delivery won't be a problem.  Lunch and supper will be provided on Friday and Saturday and Sunday lunch will be leftovers per usual.  Let's be optimistic and bring plenty of sun screen!
Dana

James Patten replied:
Channel 6's long range forecast calls for sunny on Friday, partial sun on Saturday and Sunday, with possibility of rain or showers on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Dave Buczkowski replied:
James;
I like the National Weather Service report from Gray, ME better:
Friday...Sunny. Highs in the upper 50s.
Friday Night And Saturday...Mostly clear. Lows in the mid 30s. Highs in the mid 50s.
Saturday Night Through Monday...Mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s. Highs in the upper 50s.
That sounds like good track work weather! Strangely, nothing about black flies or skeeters.
Dave

Mike Fox replied:
Skeeters have arrived. They got the first sampling of my blood last night. Or atleast they tried. They have arrived early. I hope they leave just as quick. See you all some time this weekend.
Mike

gordon cook replied:
Skeeters have arrived. They got the first sampling of my blood last night. Or atleast they tried. They have arrived early. I hope they leave just as quick. See you all some time this weekend.
Mike
They were out here in central MA last week, and Mike has confirmed that with the warm weather we will have a new, fresh, and hungry flock in the Sheepscott valley.
Forecast is plenty of sun, highs in the 70's.
Fire Danger is high here, I can smell smoke from a good sized fire over in Devens, the former fort property, although that hasn't stopped the firing range practice.
We may want to get the water cart ready, as well as check and fill the hand pumps.

Jason M Lamontagne replied:
We're putting together an operating plan which is basically the norm, but makes allowance for passenger service to Albee's and extra fire protection.
Our April Showers must have gotten lost on the way...
see ya
Jason

Bill Reidy replied:
A quick note of appreciation to everyone involved in the planning and execution for this weekend's work session.  Everything went off very well (as usual).  Special thanks to Dana and the other folks involved in planning and managing the work sessions, as well as Sue and the kitchen crew for the wonderful meals.
Those of us "from away" are grateful for the extra effort the regulars who keep the museum running day-to-day must put in to make events like this successful.
- Bill

jockellis replied:
Get any press coverage?
Jock Ellis

Dana Deering replied:
Great job everyone!  Sorry I had to leave early on Sunday.  My grandson's first birthday was also on Sunday.  Someday maybe we'll celebrate it during the work weekend (that's always fun, eh, Jason?) when he's big enough to work a shovel!
Thanks to the efforts of all of you we now have over two miles of track actually in service!  I was pleased with the turnout, especially on Friday which tends to be, understandably, our thinnest crew day.  The kitchen crew continues to repeat its great work keeping the crews fed and it must be a little easier now that you have the Cold Eggs Cafe to work from.
Thank you also to the Higher Powers who provided great weather for nearly the entire weekend.  Did you guys get a little bit wet late on Sunday morning?
Anyway, well done one and all.
Dana

Mike Fox replied:
I will have to remember to take my camera Saturday. Mother nature is blessing us with some rain to wash the dust off the ballast to give it that finished look. Always nice to see so many people working together.
Mike

Josh Botting replied:
Dana, et all....
It did sprinkle a bit toward noon time, but we had mostly picked up, and the only crew still chugging along was the tamping crew.  For all of us on the tamping crew, I thought the sprinkle felt nice. I left at 1300, and it did rain for some time after that.

Stewart Rhine replied:
To everyone who had a part in the Spring work weekend... thanks, IT WAS GREAT!  I enjoyed seeing many old friends and making new ones.   Thanks to the hard work of project managers Dana, Dave and Vic and the efforts of many volunteers the museum made major progress on four projects -
(1) Two miles of mainline track are now in service.
(2) Hand brakes have been installed on flatcat 126 and coach 8.
(3) More new windows have been installed in coach 8 and the east side has been repainted.
(4) The track side of the water tank building has been 90% painted.
Other projects included repair and tune up work on the Brookville and continued filling of the hole north of the three way stub switch.
The WW&F crews approach to these jobs reminds me of the old WWII saying ... The difficult we will do right now, the impossible will take a day or two.

James Patten replied:
If in-service track ends just shy of MP 7, then there's about 2.1 miles in service (those points of miles are always important!).

Wayne Laepple replied:
James, we stopped three rails from the end of track, one rail from MP 7. If that distance was 2.2 miles, then we are presently at 2.15779 miles. Just in case you wondered.

Stewart Rhine replied:
Anyway you slice it we have the longest two foot gauge railroad (on it's original grade) in the United States.

Ira Schreiber replied:
I picked the work weekend to get my semi-annual allergy reaction.
Thru very teary eyes and a stuffed head and nose, track work was not high on my list, unfortunately.
I literally stumbled over Dave Crow working on #126 brakes and I thought that I might lend a hand. I jumped in and off we went. After that project was signed off, we started on coach #8. A little cutting and *&%#%!! later, we modified the shoe hangers and got those brakes working.
In the meantime, Brookville #51 was a topic and I stuck my runny nose into that project. A new spark coil from NAPA, courtesy of Zack, and we had fire to the plugs. After hearing about the leaking carb, I found the rubber fuel hose was split below the carb. Our infinite parts department had the necessary replacement hose (surprise) and it was replaced with the Brookville's Continental Red Seal four banger whirring away.
Just for laughs, a group of us dug out the fire cart and got it into service, just in time for the Sunday rain.
A great time was had by all and my thanks to EVERYONE who made the weekend possible.
Ira Schreiber
Aurora, CO

Mike Fox replied:
I am some glad the work weekend was not postponed for a week as suggested earlier this year when we were up to our eyeballs in the white stuff. I constructed a handcar track by the trestle yesterday and the black flies must have heard me working. There were so many they must have come all the way from up by Head Tide. I made quick work of it and did not stay still long. Of course the bug spray was in the glove box of my pickup, at Sheepscot. Next time, it will be in my back pocket.
Mike

Dana Deering replied:
There'll be no more talk from me about postponing the spring work weekend.  If we could pull it off after a winter like we had this year we can do it every year.  I think we'll leave it where it is.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum