Author Topic: Dates for the Spring 2008 Work Weekend  (Read 2019 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Dates for the Spring 2008 Work Weekend
« on: January 11, 2009, 10:56:39 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Dates for the Spring 2008 Work Weekend has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Dana Deering wrote:
Hi All,
I've been looking at the snow pack around my house and thoughts turn to the Spring Work Weekend.  I don't have any idea what the weather will do for the next few months but if it keeps up there is a good chance that the roads will be posted later than in the recent past (which means no ballast delivery) and a chance that there would still be snow on the ground the last weekend in April.  I'm proposing that we move the work weekend to May 2-4 this year.  Are there any strenuous objections?  I'd like to set the dates now so people can plan accordingly.
Dana

James Patten replied:
Don't forget that May 3 is the Annual Meeting (required in the bylaws to be first Saturday of May).  You'll lose some portion of your workforce in the afternoon of Saturday to the meeting.

Allan Fisher replied:
The 2008 calendar shows the Work Weekend as April 25-27, and a number of emails sent to the Museum asking for dates for long range reservations have also been answered as April 25-27.
And the three chamber of commerces we belong to have our work weekend listed at April 25-27.
While flexibility may be desired - we are getting to be too big to change dates
willy-nilly. even if there is always the issue of Mud Season.
Let's permanently change the date to May is that's what the consensus is - but let's also go for a bylaw change to change the Annual Meeting date if it will conflict.

Mike Fox replied:
If ballast is needed to be hauled in, maybe we should get it now. Alna Center (Averil Road) had been plowed into before so the road should have set up enough. We could plow out the new area and store Ballast there for the weekend. Then posting won't be a problem.
Mike

Wayne Laepple replied:
How much stone are we going to need for the Spring Track Weekend? Didn't we unload stone on everything we've built?  We might need some for dressing or for raising a low spot or two, but we aren't talking multiple truckloads, are we? Did I miss something?

Allan Fisher replied:
One of the reasons we needed Alna Center as the location for stone loading is because that location is not affected by Road Postings - Rt 218 has never been posted and Averill Road is a private road. Because Averill Road has been gravelled over two years ago -iit should not be affected by mud season - and  if one winter with the new pad at Alna Center is enough to compact the site -  we should be able to use it for Spring Work Weekend.

Reuben Bailey replied:
While the road postings may not affect 218 and Averill Road, that does not guarantee that there are not posted roads between the pit where the stone is coming from and 218.  I don't know where you get your stone from, but if it can be acquired now that would be a surer bet.  The only trick will be finding a pit operator who has a pit that is accessible and active right now.  Around here things are pretty much shut down until spring.
Just my 2 cents,
All the best,
Reuben

Dana Deering replied:
This in NOT a "willy-nilly" change.  I put my reasons out there for proposing it and they are quite reasonable and based on what we have encountered in the past and I am trying to be proactive and avoid the possibility of having to shovel snow from the ROW like we did one year on c**k Eye Curve.  Also, you won't find many pits who are crushing stone this time of year and you can ask Zack if he would like stone piled in the yard right now.  Yes, we will need stone in the spring for dressing the ballast.  It'll take more than a teaspoonful to dress nearly 1000 feet of track once it's jacked up.  However, if it is going to cause great hardship on memebers, the Chamber of Commerce, etc. then we'll leave it as is, but if things turn out such that there are problems with stone delivery, or if there is snow to clear off, or anything else, I don't want to hear about it.
Dana

Josh Botting replied:
I would think that the stone comes from the Crooker pit just above head tide?  Anyone know any differant?  That would mean that the stone only travels a few miles.
Also,  back home when materials companies always ran the screens and crushers as far into the winter as possible.  To build the stockpiles up as much as possible, to get a jump on the next season, to support any winter needs, and to keep people working as long as possible in the fall.  I rember watching the piles fall in the spring when the roads were posted, only to rebuild in the summer, but never to the fall levels.

Dana Deering replied:
OK, let's just leave the date as is then.  The dates will be April 25-27 and we'll hope that I am worng with my concerns and that "global warming" will take care of the rest.
Dana

Josh Botting replied:
Dana,
Also lets not forget that with last years cold, roads were posted which had not been posted in recent memory, including state roads.  With the reduction in the snow cover, and the predictions for cold comming, we could be in for more of the same.  The current long range forcast was calling for an early spring.  However long range forcasts are not very accurate, so I guess we will roll the dice.

Dave Buczkowski replied:
Dana;
It's less than two months to the Spring Work Weekend. What do you have planned for us to do at the present time?
Dave

Wayne Laepple replied:
One word, Dave. Work.

Stewart Rhine replied:
Dave,  As I recall Dana's plan is to get the new track jacked and tamped so the mainline can be in service to Mile Post 7.  Of course there will be other projects like working on engine 9, continuing work on the water tank and getting brakes on coach 8.
Looking forward to seeing everyone next month.
Stewart

Mike Fox replied:
And I think once milepost 7 is reached, more work is planned elsewhere on the line. Plenty to do for everybody.
Mike

Dave Crow replied:
There are plans to install brakes on flatcar 126 before the weekend so that almost every piece of equipment has brakes.  I'll be up on Thursday morning to begin the work on 126 and then Coach 8.
Dave Crow

Wayne Laepple replied:
How much snow is still on the ground in Alna? In only a month, some of us will be there to do trackwork. Will we need hip boots?

Ira Schreiber replied:
No, just Ice Picks !!

James Patten replied:
The snow is melting every day.  Saturday on the roadbed there was probably a foot to two feet of snow still, but I think it's pretty soft stuff and rapidly disappearing.  I have no doubt the snow will be gone by the end of April.  And I doubt the mud will be too much of an issue, because with the deep snow there doesn't seem to be much frost.

Joe Fox replied:
At least the snow will be far enough from the rails for the engines to have an easy time this weekend, I hope. All of my teachers are so excited, and can't wait to go to the WW&F that I have told them about for 2+ years. In fact, I have a few teachers that would love to come, even though they aren't grading my project, but they can't because of other things going on. I look foward to track work weekend.
Joe

Josh Botting replied:
3-6 forcast for the area tonight through friday.......
Will the mud season never end?
Mike, how much you got left?

James Patten replied:
As of this afternoon, there was no snow around the tracks or on the main line at Sheepscot.  I don't know the condition up-line.  Of course as Josh notes, this will change tomorrow.

Mike Fox replied:
In the past week some bare spots actually appeared under some of the trees. But it is snowing yet again. This batch of snow won't last long. Some people are worried about mud season. I'm looking a little farther down the tracks at mosquito season. Stock up on repelent. Coud be as hard to find this summer as a shovel was this winter.
Mike

John McNamara replied:
I acknowledge being "from away", but aren't the Maine seasons:
Winter
Mud season
Black fly season
Mosquito season
Green head season
Summer (6 weeks)
Fall
Winter
I guess my point is don't forget black fly season!

Ira Schreiber replied:
My late father, a native of Portland, used to tell me that Maine summers were beautiful, if you knew which week it was!

fjknight replied:
Just to show you that it is impossible to out guess Mother Nature. If we had moved the Spring Work Weekend to this weekend we would all have been very wet and muddy by now. Last weekend was gorgeous.
Frank
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum