Author Topic: Fall Work Weekend 2007 Plan and Peparation  (Read 2009 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Fall Work Weekend 2007 Plan and Peparation
« on: January 11, 2009, 10:49:25 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Fall Work Weekend 2007 Plan and Peparation has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Dana Deering wrote:
Hi All,
We have a challenge in front of us if we wish to lay any rail this fall.  I did a visual survey of the rail that came from the chair factory and at first determined that there wasn't ehough 56-60 lb rail there to make the effort of cropping and drilling it worthwhile.  I thought that it might make more sense to ballast track this fall, which breaks up the pattern we have been following of track laying in the fall and ballasting in the spring (which I like because I think it works best).  This is a side effect of the recent purchase of the Percival House that has left us shy of money for purchasing rail.  The house is an important acquisition for the railroad so it's no big deal to adapt the track work until afeter next year's fundraiser.  Anyway, I had an inventory taken of the rail piles and the result was that there may be enough rail for about 812 track feet.  It is almost all on the bottom of the Chair Factory rail pile so it needs to be sorted, cropped, and drilled before the work weekend.  IF, and this is a big if, I get a commitment from about 7 or 8 guys to work exclusively on the rail pile from about 8/25 through the end of September, or until we get it done, I would be willing to plan to lay track in the fall.  The terms are:  I need a firm commitment in the next week or so or it will not happen.  I am not looking for suggestions of how else to do it, just a commitment to this plan or not.  I have to make a decision in time to inform the board that we will need to buy ballast this fall, if that is the way we go.  Then in the spring we will use the Spring Weekend to work on some much needed and overdue work on the current mainline.  Buy fall of 08 I am hoping that our other potential sources of rail will come through and we won't have to spend a lot of effort cropping rail and drilling it to fit the bars that we have.  So let me know here or by private email if this is something you can commit to.
Dana

elecuyer replied:
Dana,
What sort of tasks does "working exclusively on the rail pile" entail?  It might be helpful to explain exactly what the requirements are.
(I might be able to come up for one or two weekends, but I'm not sure how helpful a scrawny computer programmer will be at this particular task.)
-Ed Lecuyer

Dana Deering replied:
The rails need to be:
1. Sorted.  A crew of two or three people will work with a flatcar, crane and 52 to move all the 50 lb rail to the north rail pile while helping the cropping crew get at the 56 lb rail.
2. Cropped.  A crew of no less than two will be cropping the rails to 28 foot lengths.  (Due to all the defective ends, extra things welded on by the Chair Factory folks, etc.)
3. Drilled.  A crew of three to four will drill new bolt holes to match the joint bars we have on hand.
4. Moved and stacked on the north rail pile in front and on top of the 50 lb stuff.  Same crew as in #1. And the last lot of ten rails wil be moved to EOT and laid out.
Dana

Mike Fox replied:
Not 100% on both of these dates but the 1st and 15th of September I should be down next and would love to crop or drill rail those days. Wish I could say I could definately be there but it is too far off and may have to work those days.
Mike

Dave Olszewski replied:
Hi Everyone,
It would be great if more volunteers come and work on rails and track instead of playing on railroad. I painted trims alone on water tank Saturday and yesterday. I glad I finished with it and it look great.  It was ashamed that many young volunteers did not cut weeds, too. Thank to Leon and Fred for do it alot. I worked on shingle on fuel shed,too . I will do it on water tank next. I have to be more careful on track because of back injured at work. So I will do painting, shingling, shovel, other job instead of track.   I am not sure if I would like to drill rails. I like to finish with water tank first. Thank you for work hard on track. I hope more new young volunteer will show up.
Dave

Joe Fox replied:
Hi everybody,
I plan on working with track/work crews more after the Annual Picnic. Dana, I will make sure that I get in on the fun at the rail piles when possible.
Joe

fjknight replied:
Is there a possibility that at least some of this work could be done during the week instead of on Saturdays? I could commit to a day a week if if was on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday starting in September.
Frank

Dana Deering replied:
I could not make it during the week because of work.

fjknight replied:
I could not make it during the week because of work.
Dana,
I didn't mean you had to be there. What I was wondering is if we could have a small crew do some of the work on say Friday and then a larger crew could come in on Saturday. Something like cropping the rail could be handled by two workers. Right now I could commit at least 6 hours every Friday for September and into October with one caveat that I may have to travel for work for several days that might impact one of those weeks. Obviously it would take at least one other individual for my plan to work. If there were several other individuals we could take on more tasks.
If that doesn't work I could help out a couple of Saturdays but I can't commit to which ones yet.
Frank

gordon cook replied:
I will commit myself to being there on 9/15 and 9/22. I'm on the steam crew the rest of this month and 9/8, I believe.
Just a reminder, we'll need the mag drill back for the bolt holes.

Dave Buczkowski replied:
Dana;
I plan to be at the Museum over Labor Day Weekend, probably for awhile on Friday and Saturday.
Dave

Dana Deering replied:
Hey All,
If the weather looks decent I will be at Sheepscot this Saturday and I will take whatever crew I can scrape up and start sorting out the rail at the rail piles.  There's a bunch of 50 lb stuff that needs to be picked up and put on the north rail pile and more that needs to be taken from the south rail pile and moved to the north pile so we can get at the 56 lb. stuff.
Dana

Ira Schreiber replied:
I plan on being there to help.
I am still working on the tools, I will keep you updated.
Ira

Bill Reidy replied:
I can't make it to Sheepscot this weekend, but I am planning to be up the following Saturday, September 1st.  I know this is the tail end of the Narrow Gauge Convention, but I'll be available for the rail crew that day if enough people are available.
Bill

Dana Deering replied:
Since the weather forecast is calling for hot, oppressive, muugy temps on 8/25 I am postponing rail sorting until 9/1 in the hope that conditions will be more comfortable for wrestling with rail.
Dana

Ira Schreiber replied:
I have secured the power tools, a rail saw and a rail drill, from the Seashore Trolley Museum. I am bringing them on Sunday, the 26th.
In addition, I have 5 rail rollers. This will allow us to eliminate the crane and roll the rail to the saw and drill, if we wish to.
Anyone for a party?

Mike Fox replied:
Very nice Ira. We will have to try that stuff out Saturday. Maybe we can rig up something with the rollers that when we are done cropping and drilling, the rail could be rolled to a finished pile.
Mike

Ira Schreiber replied:
Good suggestion,Mike. What I see happening is two work stations with rollers to each. Pull a rail to the side into the saw, chop and pull it to the drill, bore it and pull it to the finished stack.
Any rails that are 50# or rejects would just be pulled thru to a reject pile. No sorting and no lifting.
We'll see what Dana thinks of this, of course, before anthing is done. I scoped out the ares today and it looks fine for this set up.
Ira

Dana Deering replied:
Hey All,
Great job on Saturday!  Thank you, Ira, for getting the saw, drill, and rollers.  The system worked really well and I expect that once we get the new saw blades we can move even faster on the 15th.  Does anyone know where we can get 7/8" bits for the rail drill?
Anyway, I am feeling optimistic about having a lot of rail ready for the work weekend.  We may not get it all done but the remainder can be done during the weekend itself.
Dana

John McNamara replied:
Looks like you are going to make a lot of progress quickly. I'll go out and buy another 1000 feet of wire for the mag phone line. Gotta keep ahead of you guys!

Mike Fox replied:
Anyway, I am feeling optimistic about having a lot of rail ready for the work weekend. We may not get it all done but the remainder can be done during the weekend itself.
Is that the unmistakeable sound of a whip I hear cracking?  I can say this past Saturday was fun getting set up and going.
Mike

Dana Deering replied:
No, no whip, I'm saving that for Joe!  I'm just opitimistic that with the new saw blades, and some new drill bits that are on the way, things will go a little faster now that we have the operation set up.
Dana

htbrandes replied:
All,
Some of us who work track at MNGRR are planning on coming up on Saturday, October 6 to lend a hand. We are all experienced with track (in another words, we are most of MNGR's track crew is coming to help you out!).
Hope you got work for us to do.
Hans

Mike Fox replied:
The soggy bottom boys got 14 rails cropped and drilled today in the drizzly weather. Things went well. Dana plans on doing more Saturday the 22nd if possible.
Mike

fjknight replied:
Dana,
Just want you to know that the long range forecast is already calling for showers next Saturday. Sure hope my gloves dry out by then.
Frank

Joe Fox replied:
Now now Frank, lets not jinx anything please.  Lets all cross our fingers and hope for good weather. Working in the rain, just shows how dedicated the W, W, & F volunteers are.
Joe

Dave Olszewski replied:
Hi,
I just check Weather Com. It show next Saturday would be  mostly cloudy. I  hope it will be nice day. I hope no more rain on weekend. 
Dave

Stephen Hussar replied:
Long range forecasts made 6-7 days ahead are rarely accurate. My feeling is that 3 days, is about the limit for an even semi-accurate prediction...especially this time of year. 

fjknight replied:
Circumstantial evidence only but it seems to me that whenever there is work scheduled at the museum a low pressure area forms on the west coast and starts heading this way. There is one on the coast of Oregon right now.
Frank

Steve Gross replied:
It may have been wet but those of us working on the rail were rewarded with a beautiful double rainbow near the end of the day.  Though my meager efforts with my cell phone camera do not do them justice, here's Mike operating the railsaw with them in the background:

The rainbows had pretty much faded by the time the train made it back to the rail pile, but if you look closely at the picture below you can see what remained of the primary rainbow arcing out of the headlamp:

Stephen Hussar replied:
Those are awesome, Steve! I'm SO glad you had your camera/phone with you and you were able to capture that...thanks for posting!

Stephen Hussar replied:
Circumstantial evidence only but it seems to me that whenever there is work scheduled at the museum a low pressure area forms on the west coast...Frank
Frank, I know exactly what you mean...it's like keeping the raincoats on yesterday!!

Josh Botting replied:
Sorry guys,
I scheduled ' had to get done' outside activities for Sat.  I am sure that is why it rained! It always does.

Mike Fox replied:
Josh,
How about scheduling those 'had to get done's for Thursdays only. That way the inclimate weather is out of the way by Saturday.
Mike

Dana Deering replied:
Hey Gang,
I won't be available for the next two Saturdays but we have made really good progress on the rail so I think we wil lwait and finish on Friday of the Work Weekend and while one crew is working on rail the rest of the crew will work on lining and beginning the ballasting on the new track north of Albee's.  We should then be set to lay rail on Saturday.
Dana

Josh Botting replied:
Mike,
Ya took wends. off this week, and sat & sun as well.  I wish someone had told me how long cedar shingles take......
Anyway, no effect this week however, nothing but sun!
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum