Author Topic: 27th National Narrow Gauge Convention  (Read 2411 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
27th National Narrow Gauge Convention
« on: January 11, 2009, 10:45:08 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
27th National Narrow Gauge Convention has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

James Patten wrote:
This topic is for all discussion about the upcoming 27th National Narrow Gauge Convention in Portland, August 29 - September 1 2007.  The convention will be in the Holiday Inn By The Bay, with a distinct possibility of some of the convention spilling over to the next door Eastland Hotel.
For the time being the topic will be "Stickied" to the top of the forum.
See the website http://www.27thnarrowgaugeconvention.net for more information.  Or you can call Train & Trooper/Matt & Martha Sharp at 207-639-4462 or Sheepscot Scale Products/George Barrett at 207-829-5134.
Admission is $75 for all 4 days and covers all convention activities.  One day admission is $25.
Convention schedule is:
Wednesday Aug 29 6 PM - 9 PM
Thursday Aug 30 9 AM - Noon; 6 PM - 9 PM
Friday Aug 31 9 AM - Noon; 6 PM - 9 PM
Saturday Sept 1 8 AM - Noon

Joe Fox replied:
Thanks James.
What are the times for? I only ask because they seem kind of wierd such as the 6p.m. to 9p.m. thing. I can possibly make it on Wedensday and Saturday. Talk to you later.
Joe

James Patten replied:
The times are when the convention floor is open.  These conventions have vendors, preservation organizations, and other groups together with tables to sell their wares or present their information.  Modelers also bring their layouts, which become part of a contest for awards.  Then there are the clinics, which if you look on the convention website cover the gamut from how to build a tree for your layout to a capsule history of the RGS, or EBT, or WW&F.
I would encourage everybody who can to show up for at least one day.  This is the Springfield Show of the narrow gauge world (with a lot less people around).  People from all over the world show up at these.  Don't miss it because it may never come to Portland again.

BM1455 replied:
Maybe when things get closser to the event we can arrange some type of carpool from Sheepscot so we all don't have to drive independantly if we want to attend more than one day.  Parking is expensive and there is not always a lot of it.
Eric.

Joe Fox replied:
Ok James. If I have my liscense, I might go to the convention on Wedensday, and come and work at the museum the other half of the day, and a full day on Saturday. Again, that is only if I have my liscense and a vehicle by then. Which, I should. Talk to you guys later.
Joe

Mike Fox replied:
Just breezing through May 2007 Railroad Model Craftsman and it has a nice preview of the National Narrow Gauge Convention. A few pics of models and such and one of the museum after the switch ties were placed in front of the gift shop but before the rail was installed. Just an FYI incase someone wants some reading.
Mike

Joe Fox replied:
It also included a nice photo of a module portion of the W, W, & F of Sheepscot station, the way it looked originaly. It has two or three box cars on the siding, and a flat car on the south end of the siding.
Joe
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum