Author Topic: SPRING!  (Read 2057 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
SPRING!
« on: January 11, 2009, 10:44:31 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
SPRING! has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Josh Botting wrote:
My trees are informing me that spring is here, or at least well on the way!(East of the yard only West thinks its winter)   Which leads me to the topic of this post.  2 years ago we did a spring special train.  Most of you probally remeber.  I was wondering if there is any plan, or interest in doing it again?  I know it has been mentioned in other topics.  However I haven't seen anything for a while, and if we were going to do it, it doesn't leave a lot of time to organize.
I am for this idea, for the record.  I would think it would be one of the simpler events which we have to organize, we don't need to get anything special, maybe hot coco.
I appreicate any comments or input from all of you.

Mike Fox replied:
I think there are plans for a spring equinox train this year. But I am unsure of any dates.
Mike

James Patten replied:
The gal who had the original idea two years ago is interested, however she's not into coordinating kid/play/paint stuff.  The people who did that last time, the Longo Sisters, are now largely scattered about the globe - one's in Asia, the other in the South.  So we are now in need of parties interested in organizing kiddie activities.
I, too, am unaware of when we would have it.  The Vernal Equinox is Tuesday March 20.  That means we could run it Sat 17, Sun 18, Sat 24, or Sun 25.

Josh Botting replied:
I have spoken with Miss Mercer and she is interested in helping.  If there is any more info on what we need, email me with it.

Josh Botting replied:
So......  Not so springy today.......  But I am sure that Spring (aka mud season) is right around the corner..........  It is just now raining here so there may be hope....

Josh Botting replied:
So mud season has arrived with force.  My trees inform me that spring was Wends.  and Thursday of this week, however it has left.
So anyway, my discussions seem to lead me that the spring evnt will be put off until the Sat. before Easter.  We will do kido related activites, and of course run steam.
Appearantly, Miss Mercer & myself will be organizing the kido activites.  If anyone has any activities, or wants to commit to helping out let me know.
At this time we have Easter Egg hunt, egg roll, and face painting.  However we will need help to get this all done.  We may want to hold a meeting next week to work out the details.
thanks
jkb

BM1455 replied:
If we are really going to have a spring event the saturday before Easter how are we planning to get the word out to the comunity?  I have not heard a word about this event or even when it may be done other than on this list. (Which is not offical)  We have less than two weeks to get the word out, ....so what are we going to do?
Eric.

Josh Botting replied:
Eric,
Needs to be done, how do we usually do it?
Any sugestions would be helpfull, and appreciated.
Flyers, was all that I had come up with.

BM1455 replied:
I will wait for someone in charge to let me know that we are actually doing this and what the details are.  Then I can make a flyer and get it out there.

James Patten replied:
We're actually doing it.

Ira Schreiber replied:
Spring has sprung,
the grass has riz,
I wonder where
the flowers is?
Annon

Josh Botting replied:
We need to get together and sort out the details, I have spoken with Bill Ready, and he will prepare the flyer if we get the details.  Anyone who is interested, let me know, I can do thursday evening, friday evening, and saturday.  Let me know if anyone has any interest.

Joe Fox replied:
I have been told it is going to be April 7th. How ture that is, I don't know. Talk to you guys later.
Joe

Jason M Lamontagne replied:
All,
We are indeed planning on the event for the Saturday before Easter, April 7.  I need to talk with our Superintendent Zack about rates, times, and steam.  I will check our coal supply- if it is sufficient and Zack is on board then it is a go.
Don't expect this to be huge- the planning is on short notice- this is more of a nice thing to do for the community than a big people hauler or a railfan's event.  I suppose that's obvious.
All interested parties should meet this Saturday at the RR if possible to discuss this.  Josh is taking the lead on activities, what-not, while I'm balancing the operational side of things.
see ya
Jason

Josh Botting replied:
Want to plan on 1000 to meet? For all who want to perticipate?

James Patten replied:
From Jason:
Talked to Zack, he's ok with it.
Train times 11-3, half fare ($3/$2)- TENTATIVE (see below).
Let's meet at 10 this Saturday then.
Some important notes:
A vital part of this Saturday is cleaning the property up to be presentable and safe- if 5 of us put in several hours, we can accomplish enough to do this I believe.
This is balanced against a cutting crew, and a No 9 day.
We may want to be prepared to abort mission and not do the event if we don't manage to get the place presentable and safe.
see ya
Jason

gordon cook replied:
Well, I guess this means I'll have to get the @#$*&^!!! oil cups done sooner.
I'll see you there this Friday PM and Saturday, and I'll be there on the 7th too. Should be fun, it's been way too long between steam runs.
I need a fix, bad...

Joe Fox replied:
Ok. James, I will be with the yard cleaning crew, if there aren't any track work crews heading out.
Joe

James Patten replied:
It's a little early for track work, as the frost is not out of the ground completely yet.

Joe Fox replied:
ok. I look foward to working in the yard this Saturday. Talk to you later.
Joe

James Patten replied:
The Spring event is on.  Here's the details, as much as I know them.  I'm sure Josh or Jason or somebody will correct what I get wrong.
Open 11 - 3, trains on the half-hour every hour.  Easter Egg hunt at AC for 10 minutes or so, so probably a 15 minute layover up there.  Other stuff going on back at Sheepscot.

John McNamara replied:
Open 11 - 3, trains on the half-hour every hour.
So this means 11:30, 12:30, 1:30, and 2:30?

Joe Fox replied:
Does the every half hour mean that there will be two trains, or no runaround?
Joe

James Patten replied:
1 train every hour, starting at 11:30.  Runarounds at both ends.

Joe Fox replied:
Why so late, and end so early? What time will the engine be fired up?
Joe

gordon cook replied:
Since we're all getting a little older each year, the engine and crew needs time to get in shape, so half a day is about all we can handle for now.   

Mike Fox replied:
Don't question why, just be happy it is happening.

Josh Botting replied:
Todays event went well.  About 70 riders, crafts were a hit with smaller children liked the crafts, and all kids & Fred had fun with the egg hunt at Alna Center.
Thanks to all of the voulenteers who helped make it happen.

Ira Schreiber replied:
No wonder Fred had such fun on the egg hunt. He is such a YOlKER!
Happy Easter, all
Ira

Stephen Hussar replied:
A few of Josh Botting's photo's from the April 7th event. Thanks, Josh!

Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum