Author Topic: January 2023 Work Reports  (Read 10522 times)

Brian Whitney

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
Re: January 2023 Work Reports
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2023, 05:02:56 PM »
The so called "storm" is only going to be 4"-8". Not a big storm for Maine but big for this non winter we have had so far.
Another larger storm is predicted for Sunday and Monday. It would make sense to me to not run the plow on Saturday and then have to do it again 3 days later? Also a bigger storm is predicted for Thursday!
Maybe we will get a week or two of winter after all.
Brian W.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2023, 06:04:50 PM »
I got a phone call this morning telling me the dozer sprockets were done.

Done by Spacely Sprockets or Cogswell's Cogs?

People of a certain age will understand the question, and I like to help keep moderator Ed busy...

Thanks, Mike.

Thanks for putting the theme song in my head.. Ahh simple times back then. Saturday morning cartoons..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2023, 07:00:02 PM »
Work done on Thursday, January 19th -

Engine 9 - Wes and Roger worked on the locomotive for a couple hours in the afternoon.

Archives - Linda worked in the office and received an interesting parcel in the mail.

Campus - Brendan made a dump run with construction debris and then worked on the snow piles, moving them back to make room for snow from the next 2 or 3 storms.

Engine House - East side shingles are now as far as can be applied until the window re-frame is done. Work now goes back to the west wall: more staging was set up so the tar paper could be finished.  When the tar paper was in place, the final trim cleats were added to the front corner post.

Gift Shop/Store - Some large orders for railway books were shipped out. Earlier, Cindy and Linda finished the merchandise inventory, checking stock in the temporary store (the SR&RL combine).

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2023, 07:43:09 PM »
Hi Brian, all,

A very important contention of winter operations is to clean after every storm.  If a storm sits some period of days it settles- even if it’s below freezing- if it then gets covered with another storm it’s packed in and makes clearing everything- crossings, switches and even main line track much more difficult.  The effect is far worse if there is a thaw/ freeze cycle between storms.  We’ve learned from hard experience: keep up and clear every storm. 

Saturdays snow train will take tue time to clear everything well- crossings down to bare planks full width, switches down to ties full width- without any other concerns that day.  I’d only ask for a total of 3-4 people including myself- I’m not trying to impinge upon Mike’s effort- but it’s important to prioritize a thorough clean out of this and every storm.

Thanks
Jason

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2023, 06:26:46 AM »
I can't work by myself so not expecting much brush cutting to get done Saturday. One helper would be good but also can't hold up the snow removal effort. We only have a handfull of normal Saturday volunteers so if anyone wants to join either effort the help will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 07:42:09 AM by Mike Fox »
Mike

Brian Whitney

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2023, 08:36:42 AM »
Thanks Jason for explaining the snow removal. It makes sense. Looks like it may be a busy week coming up.
Brian W.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2023, 04:01:11 PM »
In Bath, this snow is like cement.  Tomorrow’s clean out will likely be difficult- 52 will have traction problems, snow will be heavy where it must be shoveled.  This makes this clean out that much more important. 

I’ll get in as soon as I can.  If anyone wishing to help on this crew wants to get going before I get there- the switches in both upper and lower SS yards can be cleared, and the track south of where 52/126 are parked through the entire turntable can be cleared. 

Thanks
Jason

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2023, 06:02:02 PM »
Also the passenger loading ramp (and path to it) should be shoveled.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2023, 05:56:57 PM »
Work done on Saturday Jan 21:

* Snow cleanup: After a late morning cleaning switches in Sheepscot and working on Jayne's Way Crossing, we had lunch then left for a trip up the line.  It was fairly straightforward.  We were back by 2:30.
* Mike unloaded his truck with the Aussie tamper cylinders and the sprockets for the dozer.  I think the sprockets need a smidge of welding here and there.  He also did some plowing with the dozer.
* Cindy was finishing inventory and packing up for the Springfield show.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2023, 06:27:36 PM »
  I think the sprockets need a smidge of welding here and there.
Yes. We needed to thin the sprockets down and the machining revealed a few porous spots that I just want to fill with weld.
Mike

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2023, 10:50:24 PM »
Some photos from today, starting in the shop building. 

Fred Morse tending the coal supply for one of the shop's two coal stoves.

A look at progress on one of the Jackson & Sharp passenger trucks, with brake hanger parts for multiple trucks.

The view in shop bay 2.  The immediate focus is the front and rear frame components for our future locomotive No. 11.  But the hidden highlight here is the LED lights Brendan Barry has been installing over the center of each bay, above the overhead cranes, improving lighting for the shop crews.

Now out in Sheepscot lower yard and on the road, clearing snow.  I joined the crew clearing the line to Top of Mountain.  Sheepscot received about 6 inches yesterday.  Fortunately not as wet/heavy as Jason witnessed in Bath.  To start before lunch, switches in the lower Sheepscot yard were cleared, as well as Jayne's Way crossing.  This view shows the three-way switch cleared, while Steve Leet cleans the Tank switch.  Mike Fox had just plowed the roadway to the left.

While the lower yard switches were cleared before lunch, Dave Buczkowski was cleaning the turntable, as James Patten cleared the turntable ring rail.

After lunch, Jason led the crew with No. 52 with its plow and flatcar No. 126 loaded with tools out for the trip to ToM and back.  The crew (left-to-right Dave B., Steve L., James Patten and Jason) cleaning the Maine Locomotive & Machine (MLM) Works' crossing.

Once cleared, Jason ran 52 through the crossing.

Further north, at Trask's crossing, Steve Leet demonstrated use of the electric hammer he has provided to help clear ice at crossings.  Here he made short the work needed to clear the crossing of compacted snow and ice.

On the return trip south from ToM, we had time to clean the MLM switch and pick up flatcar No. 118, which was brought back to Sheepscot.  Expecting to need to clear the Sheepscot upper yard upon our return, we were very happy to see the switches there had already been cleaned.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 11:00:09 PM by Bill Reidy »
What–me worry?

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2023, 07:51:28 AM »
The current forecast calls for 10” tonight through tomorrow, and another 5” followed by rain Wednesday into Thursday.  We’ll have to clear after each storm- especially now that they’re on top of an existing snowfall.  Due to Amherst weekend I’m a tad worried about crew availability for a late week clearing effort, however if the line is cleared Tuesday, clearing the 5” in rain on Thursday won’t be too bad.  I can probably do that with one helper.

Thanks for the nice photo record, Bill, and thanks for the ice hammer demo Steve.  I suspect that’ll become critical for the next few storms.

Jason

Brian Whitney

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2023, 08:24:54 AM »
I can come in on Tuesday but will need to clean up at home first so I'll be a little late. 10:00 at the latest.
Brian W.

Stephen Lennox

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2023, 08:32:59 AM »
I can come in Tuesday, unknown time at the moment.

Steve Lx

Stephen Lennox

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2023, 05:28:43 PM »
Anticipated work for Tuesday and Wednesday 24-25 January 2023

*  Winter storm clean up
*  Coach #9 build
*  Passenger car trucks rebuild
*  Vacuum brakes build/test
*  Engine house  (pending)
*  Freight station pile driving (pending)