Author Topic: Albion Day 2006  (Read 2055 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Albion Day 2006
« on: January 11, 2009, 10:38:44 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Albion Day 2006 has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

James Patten wrote:
Just a reminder for Albion Day 2006, November 4.  This is a day where volunteers from the WW&F go to Albion to assist the Albion Historical Society on the station grounds, whether working on the station or on track or whatever.
Carl Buitta has 50 standard guage ties cut to 5' lengths (plus 100 other ties).  He says they're maple, are ties made from maple?  He wanted to know if they should be predrilled.
Sounds like he's going to order a keg or two of standard spikes.
Plan is to finish the siding, replace rotting untreated ties with the treated ties, and do some jacking and tamping.  How much we get done depends on the number of people that show up.

Dave Crow replied:
James,
I would suggest that most hardwood ties be pre-drilled - especially if you know the width of the base of the rail.  The pre-drill helps prevent cracking in older, drier ties.
Dave Crow

James Patten replied:
He was talking about pre-drilling, but I was trying to talk him out of it.  I think I had about as much luck as trying to get a noon lunch last year.
The information about preventing cracking I did not know.  How far down should they be drilled (and what diameter, etc)?

Dave Crow replied:
I want to say that the standard railroad ties seem to have a pre-drill of about 1/4" - I think.  As for depth, I'd say over half the length of your spike, but not completely.  That way the entire spike has contact with the hole it creates for the maximum grip.
Dave

Bill Sample replied:
We have a number of maple ties down here on the Naugatuck RR, most installed in the late 50s-early 60s.  Our experience:  They are tricky - they rot from inside out so they may look OK on a visual inspection.  I'm sure most defects will be found when the ties are cut for 2 foot use.  Watch out for "spike kill" as well as the problems often started where the spikes were located.
Hope to see you this weekend at Sheepscot.

Dave Crow replied:
I have a copy of the 1945 Railway Engineering & Maintenance Cyclopedia.  The A.R.E.A. has the following specifications for the boring of ties:
1.  That 1/2" holes be bored in hardwood ties for 9/16" cut spikes;
2.  That 9/16" holes be bored in hardwood ties for 5/8" cut spikes;
3.  That 7/16" holes be bored in softwood ties for 9/16" cut spikes;
4.  That 1/2" holes be bored in hardwood ties for 5/8" cut spikes.
Spike holes shall be bored entirely through the tie from top to bottom.
When re-using old ties, you might want to paint the old spike holes with a preservative (I doubt creosote is readily available any more?) and plug the old holes with tie plugs; sometimes you can find leftover plugs along active right-of-way (safety first!).
If Dana is interested in having this copy of the Cyclopedia, I'll bring it with me this weekend.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum