Author Topic: Sheepscot Passenger Platform Reconstruction - Official Work Thread  (Read 14691 times)

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Sheepscot Passenger Platform Reconstruction - Official Work Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2023, 01:48:06 PM »
Ed,
     thank you for a most excellent explanation!

I am glad to hear that the museum has several events where the crowds are so large!

I thought that only the free Victorian Christmas was a large crowd pleaser.

Ted Miles, WW&F Member

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2023, 08:14:33 PM »
A diagram of planned Sheepscot platform improvements published in the January/February WW&F Newsletter:

And the caption:  "Planned improvements at Sheepscot Station. Over the years, the foundations under our Sheepscot track platform, freight house and passenger shelter have shifted significantly, rendering the north end of the track platform and the shelter no longer safe for use. To remedy this, Chesterfield Associates will be shifting the freight house and passenger shelter out of the way, before driving new piles to support the platform, freight house and a new passenger shelter. The existing 100-foot track platform and freight house will be lowered about 12 inches, and a new 80-foot elevated track platform extension will be built to the north, as well as a new passenger shelter and walkway/ramp running on the east side behind the shelter, freight house and station. The existing passenger shelter will eventually be moved to Top of Mountain for reuse there. Once completed, we expect to use the north window of the station (marked by a star above) for passenger check-in, opposite the door to the gift shop."

With the existing 100' platform dropped 12 inches, I understand our wheelchair guests will be accommodated by the 80' elevated platform extension.
What–me worry?

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2023, 03:59:43 PM »
Rocks being placed along the mainline embankment underneath the location of the new platform. The big rocks will hold rip rap on the slope to prevent the ballast from sliding down the slope.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Mark Spremulli

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • How Do?
    • View Profile
    • Mark Spremulli Photography
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2023, 05:45:30 PM »
A diagram of planned Sheepscot platform improvements published in the January/February WW&F Newsletter:

And the caption:  "Planned improvements at Sheepscot Station. Over the years, the foundations under our Sheepscot track platform, freight house and passenger shelter have shifted significantly, rendering the north end of the track platform and the shelter no longer safe for use. To remedy this, Chesterfield Associates will be shifting the freight house and passenger shelter out of the way, before driving new piles to support the platform, freight house and a new passenger shelter. The existing 100-foot track platform and freight house will be lowered about 12 inches, and a new 80-foot elevated track platform extension will be built to the north, as well as a new passenger shelter and walkway/ramp running on the east side behind the shelter, freight house and station. The existing passenger shelter will eventually be moved to Top of Mountain for reuse there. Once completed, we expect to use the north window of the station (marked by a star above) for passenger check-in, opposite the door to the gift shop."

With the existing 100' platform dropped 12 inches, I understand our wheelchair guests will be accommodated by the 80' elevated platform extension.

The Photo/videographer in me is curious. The above diagram does not show width of the new ramps and walkways, Approximately how wide will they be?
Keep Calm and Get Steamed

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2023, 08:07:43 PM »
A couple more photos from earlier today of the stones placed along the eastern mainline embankment for the planned rebuilt platform.

Looking north by the mainline, next to the new planned passenger shelter location.

And a view from the northeast corner of the freight house/gift shop building.
What–me worry?

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2023, 12:06:20 PM »
There has not been an update on the platform project since April 8,2023; How about some news and pictures? Such a great project!

Ted Miles, WW&F Life Member

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2023, 12:46:38 PM »
Patience. Still waiting on materials, I believe.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2023, 01:02:13 PM »
The materials (beams) arrived last week.

In the interim, safe access to the freight shed has been completed so to allow visitors passage to the full gift shop, rather than a cramped and uninviting version in Combine 14. Train boarding is done on the turntable lead near the 3way switch with the temporary handicap ramp nearby, if needed.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 01:05:13 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2024, 01:43:38 PM »
Folks,
         I am glad to see some work re-starting on this project. It is a much needed improvement! Those are some big rocks.

Ted Miles, WW&F Life Member

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2024, 04:42:23 PM »
Looks like a prime project for the SWW cast of characters.  Hope that most/all the material needed to complete will be on site.
Moxie Bootlegger

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2024, 03:19:07 PM »
Work this week on the northern 80 feet of the platform. Support timbers were installed on the piles to build the platform on. The slope around the piles was backfilled with rip rap and ballast was dumped along the outside of the track.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2024, 03:44:14 PM »
That's quite a long platform!   Wonderful!!   
Great work as always. Let's hope the temperatures get more spring-like soon.

Gawdon

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2024, 03:52:33 PM »
Will the northern end of the platform be elevated so our wheelchair and other limited mobility passengers can enter the train through the large doors on coach No. 8 and caboose No. 320?  I understand this was the plan many months ago.

Excellent progress.  Thanks, Brendan.
What–me worry?

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2024, 06:21:38 PM »
Bill,
Yes. In fact, Brendan pointed that out to me today.
Dave

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2024, 06:42:32 PM »
Excellent!  This will be a big improvement over the old platform arrangement.

What–me worry?