Author Topic: Sheepscot Passenger Platform Reconstruction - Official Work Thread  (Read 13258 times)

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheepscot Passenger Platform Reconstruction - Official Work Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2023, 09:37:30 PM »
A few photos today of the piles that have been driven to support the new platforms and shelter.

This photo gives a sense of the planned length of the new trackside platform.
What–me worry?

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2023, 08:57:10 AM »
That's going to be a long platform.

Jeff
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2023, 10:44:10 AM »
We're building a bigger locomotive so we can pull longer trains so we need a longer platform......
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Mark Spremulli

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • How Do?
    • View Profile
    • Mark Spremulli Photography
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2023, 06:54:12 PM »
Has there been thought given to having restroom facilities on the new platform? Nothing fancy but it might be nice to have a restroom close to the train.
Keep Calm and Get Steamed

Benjamin Richards

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2023, 09:47:36 PM »
It would be difficult to imagine restroom facilities at ToM which would be reasonable to maintain and acceptable to the majority of our patrons. Lacking all utilities restricts it to composting/outhouse style facilities, or a bright green porta-john. The only road access is through SeaLyon Farm, and that road isn't improved to the point that I'd take an on-road truck on it for much of the year. The owners of SeaLyon might also understandably balk at regular porta-john truck traffic through their property.

Events at the farm always have porta-johns on-site for the duration of the event. So there are typically facilities at both "ends" of the line.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2023, 09:57:45 PM »
I *think* Mark was referring to constructing something on the new Sheepscot platform.

Yes, that was considered, but quickly ruled out due to the plumbing required. There has been talk about adding a porta-potty to the Sheepscot area for busy days, as patrons typically do not see the Restrooms near the parking lot, then discover there are no facilities near the boarding platform. The giftshop and station crew would also appreciate facilities a bit closer to the action.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2023, 11:10:40 PM »
Something like the facility on the old Wiscasset station - got flushed twice a day ;D

Well it could hang out the back - but the tide doesn't get high enough at SS.
And we hope it never does.

Thanks for the pix.

Mark Spremulli

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • How Do?
    • View Profile
    • Mark Spremulli Photography
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2023, 11:53:19 AM »
I *think* Mark was referring to constructing something on the new Sheepscot platform.

Yes, that was considered, but quickly ruled out due to the plumbing required. There has been talk about adding a porta-potty to the Sheepscot area for busy days, as patrons typically do not see the Restrooms near the parking lot, then discover there are no facilities near the boarding platform. The giftshop and station crew would also appreciate facilities a bit closer to the action.
Yes I was talking about the new platform. You could a compost toilet and and have hand sanitizer
Keep Calm and Get Steamed

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2023, 01:04:09 PM »
Yes I was talking about the new platform. You could a [have a] compost toilet and and have hand sanitizer

If this was incorporated into the new platform, there could be a prominent sign (with map) on the toilet door alerting patrons to the nearby full-service restroom facility (that has heat in the winter).  8)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 01:09:17 PM by Graham Buxton »
Graham

Benjamin Richards

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2023, 03:26:35 PM »
Yes I was talking about the new platform. You could a compost toilet and and have hand sanitizer

Just to completely beat this obviously dead horse: As one who has extensive experience with composting toilets, I do not support this, for a variety of reasons.

- They smell
- They attract insects
- They do not cope well with "surge" usage, which is pretty much the only scenario it would see.
- Someone has to empty it

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2023, 03:50:40 PM »
At one of the places I go to walk or ride my bike, they have disguised standard porta-johns by building rough-sawn lumber structures around them, with a door at the back so the pumper truck can service them. There is also a "modesty panel" in front since they are unisex.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2023, 05:32:33 PM »
There is also a "modesty panel" in front since they are unisex.
Wayne, what is the "modesty panel" and where is it located?  I thought they had full doors on the front.
Since a disguised porta-john would be located near the Sheepscot station it could be fitted with an operating exhaust fan that would help keep the smell under control.  Just a thought.....
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2023, 06:46:22 PM »
Bill --

In this case, it was a section of wooden fencing erected in front of the little shed containing the porta-john so a passerby could not see directly into the thing while passing in front of it. The piece of fence was far enough away from the building so the door could open to its full width, and long enough to screen the entire front of the building. In the old days, when rural stations had outside toilets, such fences were often L-shaped so that one had to walk in from the side and around to the front to access the facility.

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2023, 03:42:09 PM »
It appears that the new platform will wrap around the new platform. Why is it better to go around the back side?

Ted Miles, WW&F Life Member

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2023, 04:40:00 PM »
It appears that the new platform will wrap around the new platform. Why is it better to go around the back side?

1. In order to avoid moving the freight shed (even temporarily) the new pilings needed to be driven behind the building, then beams will be inserted under the building to support the structure between the pilings on the front/platform side across to the rear side.

2. Rather than waste this newly created space, improved pedestrian flow can occur around the entire building. This will be especially helpful during special events when two trains of up to 100 passengers each could be boarding and unloading nearly simultaneously.

3. Note also that the handicap ramp will be located behind the Sheepscot station building. The preferred pedestrian flow will now bring visitors around the back side of the station (rather than right next to the End of Track) and place them in the space between the Sheepscot station and Gift Shop/Freight Shed entrance. This allows the Sheepscot ticket window to be used for its intended purpose - to greet passengers upon arrival. This will be much safer than the current arrangement. Currently, the station agent basically needs to occupy the space in front of the station - where there is a lot of pedestrian traffic during departure/arrival times. Routing the general flow of traffic around the building eliminates this bottleneck and creates a much more pleasant, and safer visitor experience.

4. Finally, this allows the front of the Sheepscot station to be restored to its common carrier era appearance - no ramp, just a simple step up to the platform.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum