Author Topic: October 2022 Work Reports  (Read 9402 times)

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: October 2022 Work Reports
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2022, 04:29:45 AM »
Thank you Mike for that comprehensive pic report. I'm happy about the sunny weather you have out there I wish you a really good Sunday.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2022, 07:09:58 PM »
Work done on Day 3 of the FWW, Sunday October 9th -

* Track - The crew did lining work from Albee's Crossing up to ToM.

* Engine 11 - The main frames were brought into the shop (on Saturday) and set out with the tail frame.

* Boxcar 56 - Marcel did some final work to set up for installing the roof.

* Engine House - The rest of the facia boards were put on and the soffit panels were finished thanks to Will and Russ. Some tar paper + the frieze board was installed under the soffit on the east side.

* Trout Brook Station - The paint crew worked on the interior and exterior woodwork.

* Gift Shop - Sales of the 2023 WW&F calendar + the 25th anniversary FWW shirts were strong.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 07:50:53 PM by Stewart "Start" Rhine »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2022, 07:40:20 PM »
Main frames were fished out of the container and delivered Saturday after the 53 move.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2022, 07:55:09 PM »
FWW Saturday, October 8 photos--a day late, and mostly of the day's public trains.

Bryce Weeks brings a bucket load of coal to No. 7 at the start of the day.

Three trains were running.  Steamers WW&F No. 9 and B&SR No. 7 (courtesy of Maine Narrow Gauge) provided public service, handling the Pumpkin Pickin' Trains to SeaLyon Farm.  WW&F Plymouth No. 52 handled the work train.  X52 spent most of the day tucked into the mill spur at Top of Mountain.  X52 engineer Bill Baskerville looks on as No. 7's first train of the day arrives at Top of Mountain.

Since X52 had no work until late afternoon, Bill Baskerville and I (as X52 conductor) took each No. 7 trip down to Trout Brook and back to ToM, to aid No. 7's train crew with turning the locomotive on the TB turntable.

B&SR flatcar No. 34 (rail gantry car), as seen on the ToM mill spur Saturday.  This car will play a prominent role in setting the Sheepscot engine house pit rails Monday.

No. 9 runs around her train as passengers disembark for the wagon ride up the hill to SeaLyon Farm.

Ed Lecuyer served as agent at ToM, assisting the public between trains and wagon rides.  Here he is on the railroad mag phone, talking with dispatcher Ben Richards about 2.4 miles south in Sheepscot.

Conductor Steve Piwowarski managed No. 7's trains.

Ed entertained the public while waiting for the wagon rides.

Wagons arriving from the farm, with WW&F passengers.

Will post Sunday (all work weekend) photos shortly...
What–me worry?

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2022, 08:30:01 PM »
FWW Sunday, October 9 photos.  The day started very chilly, in the 20s, with much frost.

Volunteers worked on the facia and soffits of the engine house.

The day's X52 work train, looking south-to-north consisted of Plymouth No. 52, Maine Locomotive & Machine open car No. 130, MLM caboose No. 554, WW&F flatcar No. 126 & WW&F flatcar No. 118.  This train unintentionally made (or more accurately, recreated) a bit of WW&F history today...

X52's second train north brought ladders down to Trout Brook, where a small volunteer crew worked on painting the inside and outside of the new station.

Here 52 runs around her train.  This train soon recreated history.  X52 made two attempts to climb the Mountain with her 4-car train and stalled each time between locations 8 and 9.  The reason:  slippery rails due to leaves and frost.  Ultimately, X52 dropped the two flats at Trout Brook, brought 130 and 554 up to the siding at ToM, returned to Trout Brook, and brought the two flats to ToM, where the train was reassembled.  The first WW&F train to double the Mountain in about 90 years.

After lunch, a work crew ked by Dana Deering and Dan Malkowski finished up work started Friday on Albee's crossing.  Here volunteers drop ballast at the crossing.

Final cleanup of the crossing.

The crew spent the rest of the afternoon lining the curve between Roesewood crossing and ToM.  Dana guiding the lining.

And Dan guiding the lining.

The crew working the last bit of track today.
What–me worry?

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2022, 04:31:00 AM »
Thank you Bill for all those interesting pics of a really busy day. With three trains on the main it's has been a busy day for Ben the dispatcher as well.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2022, 02:39:53 PM »
Great photos, Bill.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2022, 05:33:58 PM »
Work done on Day 4 of the FWW, Monday October 10th -

* Engine House - Will and Russ finished the soffit strips in the morning but most of the work centered around the east / pit stall.  The stanchion locations were plotted and all 18 of the supports were set in place. Due to equipment problems only some of the rail was placed on the supports in the north end of the stall.  Note: Brendan posted some photos of the work and results in the engine house thread. 

* Campus - Engine ashes were hauled and some trash clean up was started to prepare for a big dump day on Wednesday.

* Meals - Nancy (with help from a number of people) did a fantastic job feeding everyone and Monday was no exception. A nice breakfast was served outside and a hot lunch was served in the Percival House.

* Model Train Sale - The event wrapped on Monday with over $2,200 in sales.

* Gift Shop - Sales were good with 2023 calendars and the FWW 25th anniversary shirts topping the favorites list.

Afternoon rain put a stop to most of the work.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2022, 06:01:25 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday October 15:

* Board meeting at 8 AM.
* Storage area - more work in the area.
* Boxcar 56
* Engine house
* Pumpkin trains - crew needed!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2022, 06:37:07 AM »
We will be assembling the handicap ramp that I have stored most of the summer to be ready for the repairs and upgrade to the station platform.

Also, I need to finish back filling by the electrical building. I could not get the Kubota there this past Saturday.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 07:19:54 AM by Mike Fox »
Mike

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2022, 09:00:12 AM »
* Pumpkin trains - crew needed!

If a qualified Brakeman (or Trainman level C) is available, we NEED someone to cover the 12, 2, & 4pm trains.
Ideally, we'd also have a Brakeman (or Trainman level C) at Alna Center as agent to help coordinate meets.

Anyone who would like to help greet and amuse our passengers at Top of Mountain that would also be appreciated.

Want to get qualified on train crew? See Jason or Ed.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 09:04:04 AM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2022, 06:35:42 PM »
Work done on Saturday October 15 (note that I was busy most of the day so probably missed a few things):

* Board meeting 8 - 9.
* Ramp assembly: Mike and Zack assembled a handicap ramp off of the turntable lead track, which will be for use later this fall when we tear into fixing the Leaning Platform of Alna.
* Pumpkin Trains: Two trains, 3 trips each.  Sold out.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2022, 07:54:08 PM »
It was a busy day. Trains were well attended. I had planned to fill in the hole I had dug for the electrical work but the ramp took longer than expected, plus got a little sidetracked helping prep for the days operation.

I took no photos today except for the part needed for the ramp..
Mike

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2022, 08:26:35 PM »
During the Thompson Historical Society's event today in Connecticut remembering the town's railroad history, Dave presented an update on our Museum.  WW&F No. 9's long-time home was on the Ramsdell Farm there for many years, before Dale King let us become 9's current home and restore the locomotive.
What–me worry?

Stephen Lennox

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2022, 04:56:01 PM »
Anticipated work for Tuesday and Wednesday 18-19 October 2022

*  Locomotive #7 Inspection  (Tues)
*  School Charter  (Wed)
*  Rail car assembly and test
*  Vacuum brakes