Author Topic: Trout Brook Station - Official Work Thread  (Read 22282 times)

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Trout Brook Station - Official Work Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2019, 06:23:36 PM »
I heard Jason refer to it the other day as Trout Brook Station.

That has the RIGHT RING to me...IMHO

Bob

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2019, 06:38:58 PM »
Yeah, I like "Trout Brook," too. Sounds more 1900's than "Trout Brook Preserve." Besides, that's a long name to put on the side of a station.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2019, 07:34:01 PM »
Ditto
Moxie Bootlegger

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2019, 08:57:46 PM »
Ditto for Trout Brook as a station name.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2019, 09:28:08 PM »
While I agree "Trout Brook" rolls off the tongue better, the bridge is at Trout Brook and the station is not really at the bridge, but north of there. As such, we should probably avoid having two distinct locations with the same name.

Moreover, the station will be serving the MidCoast Conservancy's "Trout Brook Preserve" and the station building will be also used as a shelter/information kiosk for the conservation area. Anything we can do to promote the preserve as a destination will be to our benefit.

That said, of course I'll support whatever the BOD ultimately decides.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2019, 09:44:35 AM »
Ah, Ed. I respectfully disagree. The WW&F was known for locating its station some distance from various towns and villages on its route. Take Sheepscot, for instance. The village is 3/4 of a mile away on the other side of a ridge -- a healthy stroll for someone going there. Trout Brook, while adjacent to the preserve, is only a few hundred feet from the stream of that name.  Taking the idea bit further, in a published public timetable, it might be listed thus: Trout Brook (Trout Brook Preserve). But what do I know? I'm just someone from away who shows up two or three times a year.

Benjamin Richards

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2019, 10:04:17 AM »
Wayne's point is well-taken. I have similar sentiments. A common railroad idiom is to name the station for the nearest "feature of interest", however far away it may be. I grew up in Derry, PA, originally called Derry Station, which was the PRR staging facility for eastbound helpers to Altoona. From Derry's own website:

In 1852, a railroad station was built in Derry. Because of the nearness of the settlement of New Derry, then known as Derry Town, the name “Derry Station” was given to this new development. Ironically, this mere train stop gave birth to a community which later completely overshadowed the settlement from which it derived its name. When this new town was later incorporated into a borough, the word “Station” was dropped as part of the name.

It's also not unreasonable to give the station a completely pragmatic name. Take Koldok, ND for instance: Literally named for the railroad structure at that location. If we're concerned about the length of the name, maybe something equally short and pragmatic like "Ledge" or "Boulder" is in order, given the nearness of that geographical feature (and Ed's fondness for it  ;D ). In fact, WW&F already has such a location: Top of the Mountain. Doesn't get much more descriptive than that.

Last idea: Is there an adjacent landowner who would be willing to lend their name? That also seems to be a common theme on smaller lines, of which the WW&F also has examples.

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2019, 11:44:01 AM »
Hello ! I'd go for Trout Brook too. On the AMTP the endstation Bellébat shares the name of a nearby wood where lovers were used to hidding away in the old days  . The crossover Les Carrières is located not far from of a stone quarry that has been long refilled. My French humble opinion.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2019, 12:25:24 PM »
Ah, Ed. I respectfully disagree. The WW&F was known for locating its station some distance from various towns and villages on its route. Take Sheepscot, for instance. The village is 3/4 of a mile away on the other side of a ridge -- a healthy stroll for someone going there.

Also, Headtide was on the opposite side of the river from the town.

Jeff S.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 12:39:14 PM by Jeff Schumaker »
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2019, 01:16:36 PM »
I like "Trout Brook".  I think on the B&SR South Bridgton Station was nowhere near the village due to geography not allowing for building track through the town center.  Also West Sebago station was moved from one end of Hancock Pond almost to the other at Swamp Road.  It kept the West Sebago name but it could've been changed to "Farther West Sebago" or "Denmark" as it was just over or astride the town line in its last location.  "Trout Brook" sounds very Maine to me.

Richard Johnson

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
  • life member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2019, 06:25:23 PM »
I go with Trout Brook Preserve in honor of the conservancy's work.
J J
slow and steady

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2019, 06:49:50 PM »
Well, we have a healthy discussion here. We are slowly becoming a railroad with destinations. Alna Center. A replicated station. Now our event center. Top of the Mountain. This will be another destination. Our wood and farming related stop. Trout Brook Preserve. If you get off there, well you are in the Preserve.  I do think we owe it to the Mid Coast Conservancy to honor them by naming the station as such. They have been very cooperative with us, and very interested in what we are doing. There was never a station or a siding there, like there were at our other locations. There was a section house in the area there, but I don't know if it ever had a name.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2019, 08:56:15 PM »
Well argue about the name all you want.  Eventually it will be settled.  Rock, Paper, Scissors anyone? :o
Moxie Bootlegger

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2019, 07:22:49 AM »
After all why not addding Preserve if it's to thank the Mid Coast Conservatory. You know it's  sure silly but preseve sounds like preserves for me.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2019, 06:15:23 PM »
Yeah, not very railroad-y!!  Nor consistent with 1930's naming.

But what do I know?