Poll

Do you plan to attend this year’s rules class?  Saturday July 30, 2022

Yes, I plan to attend in person.
7 (53.8%)
Yes, I plan to attend remotely.
2 (15.4%)
I may attend, but am not sure at the moment.
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: July 25, 2022, 09:55:50 AM

Author Topic: 2022 July 30 Rules Class  (Read 2058 times)

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
2022 July 30 Rules Class
« on: July 10, 2022, 09:55:50 AM »
Hello folks,

I am just trying to get a qualitative feel of the potential attendance at this years Rules Class.  We may adjust the structure of the meeting depending on the expected participation level.

This year’s class is on Saturday July 30, 2022.  There is a general session in the morning, and break-out sessions for several disciplines (brakeman, engineer, conductor, etc) in the afternoon.  The afternoon will likely occur on the Mountain as territory training- with breakout sessions accommodated there on.

Feel free to answer the poll, respond to this thread, or both if you will or may attend.

Thank you.
Jason
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 10:02:32 AM by Jason M Lamontagne »

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 July 30 Rules Class
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 10:19:15 AM »
Will the morning general discussion be on line as well?
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 02:40:24 PM »
Yes, that’s the intent.

If it looks like attendance will be light- we’ll shift more of the program to Mountain training.  If there’s a lot of classroom need, we won’t be able to do that.

Thanks
Jason

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 04:47:46 PM »
PLEASE NOTE I edited tue poll to allow respondents to specify if they intend to attend remotely or in person.  That’ll help us design the morning session appropriately.

Thanks
Jason

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 08:40:09 AM »
Rules class is live at www.wwfry.org/meeting if anyone wants to join. If no one joins by 10am the Livestream will end.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 07:25:24 PM »
Was it recorded? I wanted to attend at least the morning but the Backhoe killed that idea.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2022, 08:08:57 PM »
Ditto on Mikes request about if it was recorded.  I missed the 20 minute advanced notice.  Perhaps in the future we could spread the word a day or two before?
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2022, 06:00:25 PM »
Of the annual rules class I've been able to attend onsite or remotely, I think this one was the best held so far.  Extended discussion was held throughout the day as safety topics were discussed, as folks shared operations experience.  A good trend to make us all better.

I've posted a WW&F Conductor's Checklist this afternoon, updated with yesterday's feedback, here under the Operating Crew section of the forum.  I hope all Operating Crew (not just Conductors) will provide feedback with suggestions leading to improvement.  Thanks.
What–me worry?

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 06:44:22 PM »
May I add, I like the idea of the training train as part of the class. It gives everyone a chance to review the more common rules that we may not even think about, and see them put into action. The class as a whole was great, informative, and more.

It is also good to see how if someone does something wrong, or right, that the class can then understand what occurred, etc. AND, it is a learning experience and not criticism. I agree with Bill, top notch all the way. Everyone who organized it, did a Phenomenal job.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 08:07:38 PM »
Thanks all.  The morning agenda was largely the same as last year- the key difference in my opinion was the expressed idea that group discussion was more important than keeping up with the agenda.  As such, if valuable group discussions caused us to not get through the entire agenda, so be it.  We would watch for any items that we needed to hit and adjust accordingly.  As it was- we had a number of very valuable group discussions, that I believe we all learned from, and still completed the entire morning agenda comfortably and un-rushed, as I saw it.

I agree the training train in tue afternoon was a very natural way to review basic ops as well as territory.  Perhaps a little more tweaking to accommodate a more thorough engineer’s session- but all in all I think the pattern is worth repeating.

We had a great discussion on the important aspects of steep grade operation for all disciplines.  I intend to write this up and release to the crew, as an informational piece.  This will be a piece of territory qualification.

We have discussed moving next year’s session to September, prior to Pumpkin Trains. 

Any further feedback is most welcome,
Thanks
Jason