Author Topic: Photographs requested for an updated WW&F website!  (Read 987 times)

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
Photographs requested for an updated WW&F website!
« on: June 19, 2022, 05:23:28 PM »
Hello All,

In the background for the past few years there has been momentum growing around the need for a website updates. During this past year, the situation turned more dire, with our website failing to display properly on some IOS devices.

For our part there had been lots of desire to create a new website from the ground up, but very little labor resource to actually accomplish that goal. Enter FareHarbor, our online booking partner for the past several years. As part of their services, they offer free web development, with the hope that if they optimize their partner's websites, they will generate more bookings, so this is mutually beneficial.

As part of these web updates, I invite our forum readers to submit photographs for possible inclusion on the new website. I cannot guarantee that all photos will be used as it will depend on what submissions we receive.

Specifically, photos of the following would be especially appreciated:

- Capture the atmosphere and environment of the railway
- Show people (both volunteers and visitors alike) interacting with the railway
- Show the railway in a variety of seasons (Especially Winter and Fall)
- Feature some of our current special events
- Share some special detail about the railway

The easiest way for you to get photos to me is by either:
emailing photos to me at stephen.piwowarski@wwfry.org
-or-
if you have a large number of photos you'd like to submit, email me at the same address (stephen.piwowarski@wwfry.org) and I will send you a google drive link where you can add them directly.

Thanks very much,
Steve Piwowarski

Mark Spremulli

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • How Do?
    • View Profile
    • Mark Spremulli Photography
Re: Photographs requested for an updated WW&F website!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 05:29:41 PM »
I assume we get image credit and possible link to our personal websites?
Keep Calm and Get Steamed

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 05:59:20 PM »
Mark, thanks for that question. I've been trying to navigate how to handle this as I've been preparing for these updates. As I look around at various websites in preservation, credit is given in many different ways.

For example, it can be embedded in the image itself, or might contain a watermark. Some sites prevent right clicking. In terms of best visual presentation, a clean image obviously looks best. If every image on the site were to be loaded with watermarks, or credits it could potentially clutter the visual experience for viewers. There are also some more in-depth suggestions for giving credit in a non-visually cluttering ways here:
https://fieldsgraphicdesign.com/wordpress/how-to-credit-stock-photo-nofollow-link-wordpress/#what-your-photo-credit-should-say

I've also noticed some websites, such as EBT's, simply include a disclaimer on the bottom 'all images property of their respective owners.'

I like your suggestion of a link; Perhaps we could have a 'photographers' page on the website that credits photographers who have contributed to the site, along with a 'hallmark' image of theirs from the WW&F, linked to their site, if they have one.

Additional thoughts are welcome!

Best,
Steve
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 06:01:53 PM by Stephen Piwowarski »

Mark Spremulli

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • How Do?
    • View Profile
    • Mark Spremulli Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 12:24:51 PM »
No problem Steve. One idea is that use the contributor's name as the hyperlink. Foe example under the photo say Contributed by John Smith Photography with the name being the link to the site
Keep Calm and Get Steamed