Author Topic: B&SR RR field trip no. 3 ?  (Read 3623 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
B&SR RR field trip no. 3 ?
« on: January 08, 2009, 09:42:49 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
B&SR RR field trip no. 3 ? has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Bruce Wilson wrote:
Any of you Bridgton fans thinking of another field trip? I missed field trip no. 2 and wasn't sure if you had more areas left to explore?
Wanted: Photographs by Linwood Moody, Phil Bonnet, Lawrence Brown and other first generation narrow gage rail enthusiasts. Also seeking collectibles, ephemera and correspondence offered by and exchanged between narrow gage enthusiasts.

Mike Fox replied:
We kind of hurried along through #2 but we still had a great time and were able to answer some questions, such as locations etc. I had mentioned something about a third trip, this time to the Bridgton Historical Society, and perhaps other places.
I am open to any suggestions as to time and places and I'll see what I can do to set things up. I am in hopes we have seen the last of the major or even minor storms of the winter so that will free me up a lot.
Mike

Bruce Wilson replied:
Maybe a poll question should be set up for this subject. Mike if you can get the schedule of the Bridgton Historical Society and this is a stop you would wish to have a field trip group make, would you be willing to pick out a few dates? Maybe Dana would have some dates in mind that might be good as well?
If we can meet up with someone at the B.H.S., would they wish to have us bring some photos and archival items to show?
Wanted: Photographs by Linwood Moody, Phil Bonnet, Lawrence Brown and other first generation narrow gage rail enthusiasts. Also seeking collectibles, ephemera and correspondence offered by and exchanged between narrow gage enthusiasts.

James Patten replied:
I'm happy to set up a poll for this - just give me some ideas as to what it should ask and the choices you want.

Bruce Wilson replied:
Thanks James, hopefully Mike and Dana can get the format worked out between them from where trip no. 2 left off and where they might wish trip no. 3 to begin...

Mike Fox replied:
Well since you and Dana missed #2, I would be more than happy to take you guys on a quick trip to see the highlights. I will be in Bridgton Tuesday and Thursday nights so if I can, I'll take a peek at the hours. I might try to schedule something for a Sunday because I believe they are only open Saturday mornings. I will confirm this and post my findings. I found someone there last year, Evelyn Lamb if I recall correctly, that was extremely helpfull and willing to open whenever necessary. She opened on a Sunday so Joe and I could review pictures for the book I was working on last year. I'm sure with enough notice, she would love to have a group come in, or maybe could arrange for someone more knowledgeable on the railroad to be there.
Mike

Bill Sample replied:
Mike, after trip# 3 if you ever want to do another Field Trip #1 we'd be interested in that.
I'll even promise to write up another report like I did for #2!

Mike Fox replied:
I think if we can get enough together for a third trip, a "do-over" of #1 might be in order to see what the map showed us.
Mike

Dana Deering replied:
Hi Guys,
I'm still out here and interested in another B&SR trip.
Dana

fjknight replied:
I missed the first two due to scheduling conflicts but would jump at the chance for another one.
Frank

Duncan Mackiewicz replied:
Dana,
I am also interested in another B&SR "tour" since I also missed the first two.
Duncan

Mike Fox replied:
Count me in again. I would like to visit South Bridgton and search the banks between there and Deep Cut for the spring. I figure if we walk from Willett brook we would definately find something. Other than that, wherever anyone else wants to go is fine with me.
Mike

Dana Deering replied:
Any suggestions on a date?  Maybe we could meet at the park at Sandy Creek and hike south a ways and then come back and hike north.  I've never explored north of Sandy Creek.

Dana,
I'm sure Mike will agree with me when I say the ROW north of Sandy Creek is interesting to say the least.  There are the overpass abutments before the town dump and two bridge abutments in the area across the road from the town dump for starters.
I hope whatever date is chosen for hike #3 is one I will be able to make too.  I have a soft spot for the B&SR.
Duncan

Mike Fox replied:
Yes, definately need to take you North of Sandy Creek Dana. I bet we spent almost an hour if not an hour in the short stretch between 107 and the Transfer station. The old mill always deserves a look over. And that stone culvert that I think Steve pointed out. More of that Berry Quarry stone no doubt.
Mike

htbrandes replied:
Any insight on this area would be helpful in determining a long range plan should the MNGR satellite operation be embraced. Currently from the school to the Chamber building is wide open and would make a good location for some 'demonstration track'. Then it gets touch with the Hannaford road cutting off the grade about 3 feet above it followed by CMP then I guess the landfill?
Question would be if there is any possible way to potentially continue south from the Chamber building or not. Visibility is key to whether operations would be successful from a ridership point of view.
This would be a long way down the road as due to public crossing issues, etc., but it is something to factor in while we are in the exploratory mode.

Hans,
I have walked that stretch, or at least that which wasn't under water, and if you can negotiate with the town about building a path around the dump it should be possible to go south.  Now you will have to replace 2 bridge decks in the marsh as the ROW goes through it and the abutments are still there.  Between the marsh and the CoC building are the Hannaford and CMP properties. As far as getting past them, one would think something could be negotiated. I suspect that the land at the edge of both driveways is likely town land and if the town is on your side you might be able to create crossings.  The other properties have the ROW to their collective rears and some truckloads of fill and a pass or two with a 'dozer should recreate the ROW nicely.  Who knows, maybe the town will realize what a boon to their economy something like the MNGRR museum could be and be willing to welcome it with open arms.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum