Author Topic: 108 Alna Road (Split from Property/Houses for Sale Along/Including WW&F ROW)  (Read 1559 times)

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
108 Alna Road, Wiscasset is now "SALE PENDING".
Maine real estate is crazy!

That $400,000 property comes with complete with this nice enhancement to the basement area:  ;)

Somehow, I don't think the screw jack support posts were spec'd by the original architect.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 11:22:10 AM by Ed Lecuyer »
Graham

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
If it's the kitchen above, it could be the addition of commercial range equipment which required the structural assist.  I know my viking range weighs almost 900 lbs, but we planned on it and put doublers in our joists and upsized the paralam beam.
Moxie Bootlegger

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
The house I grew up in had additional supports in the basement due to the previous owners having a baby grand piano just above...

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Not installed properly either. Must not be for support. If so, they would at least be under a floor joist..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
There are 3 screw jacks visible in the photo.  The one almost against the chimney is under a major beam, and one can hope that the chimney  area has a thicker concrete footing under the floor pad and that jack.   But the two screw jacks in the foreground are unlikely to be over a thickened footing, so they are more or less now point loads on the floor pad.  Not really the best way to do that.   Ideally, they should have cut out a section of the floor  pad, excavate and create a new footing.  Or a redneck alternative  ;D would be to put a big beam on the floor that spans somewhat beyond the feet of the two jacks, and place the jacks on the beam to distribute the load.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 11:18:28 AM by Graham Buxton »
Graham

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
We have a couple of those in the basement, but our house was built in the 1700s so we have an excuse. :) They're located directly under the refrigerator and bathtub. (The kitchen and bathroom are on either side of a shared wall.)

john d Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Obviously a trestle bent