Author Topic: WW&F in Pennsylvania  (Read 1589 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
WW&F in Pennsylvania
« on: May 30, 2022, 07:40:30 AM »
On May 28, my old pal and fellow WW&F member and volunteer Don Fenstermacher and I, along with our wives, rode the first Iron Horse Ramble featuring 4-8-4 No. 2102, on the Reading and Northern. Don and I had taken our first ride behind this engine way back in 1962! I was wearing my WW&F shirt, and Don had his WW&F hat on. We attracted some attention during the layover in Jim Thorpe, with a number of folks asking whether we had come from Maine and were involved with the WW&F. Of course, we were more than happy to discuss our favorite narrow gauge with anyone who asked.

And if you were wondering what an Iron Horse Ramble is, take a look at this short video clip. 2102 is one serious steam locomotive! Here she is, clomping through Nesquehoning, Pa. on the 1.2% grade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaqSWVUGQuQ
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 08:44:07 AM by Wayne Laepple »

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F in Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 08:08:21 AM »
That is an impressive consist!   I counted 13 'open window' passenger cars with people at pretty much at every window, and 6 other cars (power car, 2 observation cars, possibly a concession car and what may be Andy's private car at the end).   Plus of course #2102 running like the proverbial Swiss watch and without a diesel.  8)
Graham

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 08:35:01 AM »
2102 sure did make all the right noises! If you want to experience a big steam engine working hard, these are the trips to ride. Three more this summer, and then several in October.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 11:13:51 AM »
If you think an 18 car passenger train is a lot, then go to YouTube and dial up "2102 freight train".  Before the passenger trip, the R&N hooked a 50 car coal hopper train to it first, and then upped that to 100 car.  In all fairness the 100 car freight were empties but it was all uphill for it.  There was also a 50 car loaded freight that was run so you know that 2102 can move at least a 5000 ton freight by itself.
Moxie Bootlegger

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 05:47:25 PM »
On May 28, my old pal and fellow WW&F member and volunteer Don Fenstermacher and I, along with our wives, rode the first Iron Horse Ramble featuring 4-8-4 No. 2102,
Wayne, I am glad you, Don and the better half's had such a marvelous adventure.  Thanks for sharing.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~