Author Topic: WW&F No. 53 - Official Work Thread  (Read 12820 times)

Mark Spremulli

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • How Do?
    • View Profile
    • Mark Spremulli Photography
Re: WW&F No. 53 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2022, 12:00:22 PM »
A thought just occured to me, would it be possible to use parts from this engine to get the third ge 23 ton actual two-foot engine running?
Keep Calm and Get Steamed

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2022, 12:37:50 PM »
Acquisition issues aside, *IF* the "third GE 23 ton" locomotive were ever to be rebuilt, it would need a donor unit like this one. And a pile of additional work.

After weighing the options, it was deemed cheaper and easier to cut down a running GE 45 tonner that is in relatively good condition, than to build back the "third" GE 23 tonner.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2022, 05:17:28 AM »
Not knowing exactly what the #3 needed, I can't argue about the cheaper but working with steel and knowing what it takes to rehab things, narrowing will be far from easy. It can be done, but definately would not call it easy.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2022, 06:44:29 AM »
The operative word in Ed’s message was easier… nothing we do is easy.  The point Ed makes is that we considered a number of options- at least 5- including the derelict Edaville GE (presuming it were available), and concluded that the conversion of a GE 45 tonner made the most sense overall.  I wouldn’t necessarily use the word “easiest” there because the deduction process also included such factors as acquisition cost, transportation, current condition, parts acquisition (think big things like prime movers, generators, and traction motors with gearbox), body work, end capability, etc.  It all ends up being a series of trade offs for which subjective judgment calls had to be made, however what was most attractive about this unit was its completeness, it’s in working order, and it’s low acquisition cost (even with transportation). 

The heavy steel work Mike refers to is real work, to be sure, but it’s typical work for any number of heavy fabrication shops anywhere in the country.  At the moment we have a sincere interest in hiring out the heavy fab work on these trucks to a local Maine shop according to our specifications.  Keeping the nature of the work to what is commonly commercially available was a key point of this plan. 

Now that the loco is on site, we can verify and refine our conversion plan.  I hope to get conversion specifics with visuals posted within a couple weeks so our members can see the plan.  I know there’s a lot of rumblings about how big it is and seemingly impossible the conversion will be- however, like always, we are breaking it down into understandable and manageable chunks.  Further- pending a final proposal to the board and subject to their approval- I hope the majority of this project is hired out, so as to keep the project out of the way of projects more core to our mission. 

Thanks all,
Jason
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 06:47:02 AM by Jason M Lamontagne »

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2022, 10:07:56 AM »
The operative word in Ed’s message was easier…

...I know there’s a lot of rumblings about how big it is and seemingly impossible the conversion will be- however, like always, we are breaking it down into understandable and manageable chunks...
The thing to remember here is that if we can rebuild a steam locomotive (9) build a Dairying Car (65) or a Coach (9) or a steam locomotive from drawings (11), we can downsize a broad gauge diesel  to a human sized (2 foot) locomotive.  The approach of hiring out the heavy work will reduce the impact on our current projects and our volunteers.

If it was easy there would be tourist railroads all over the place.  The commitment of our volunteers makes the difficult look easy.  A review of our accomplishments over time makes this project just another necessary step in rebuilding our railroad and expanding our museum.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 11:00:45 AM by Ed Lecuyer »
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2022, 11:10:23 AM »
Well said, Bill.

Just a comment on cost/value. While I don't have the final numbers, my understanding is that we had this locomotive purchased and shipped to us for about $15,000.

The going price for an operating 24" diesel (that would be way too small for our operation) is $30,000.

While it will probably take more than $10k to rebuild 53, that should give folks an idea as to the value a 24" locomotive of this type represents.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2022, 11:30:08 AM »
Believe me when I say $30K for a double truck two foot gauge diesel locomotive would be a bargain! I have searched the world over for such a bargain..

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2022, 12:39:59 PM »
I don't think one would dare to throw a cost estimate out right now. Prices of everything are fluctuating, fuel surcharges are being added again, driving the costs up. We have it in our hands now, so that is the only known costs.
Mike

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2022, 03:37:17 PM »
Based on conversations I've had in searching for an Eastern European diesel-hydraulic in operating condition,  85 - 110 thousand dollars.  Shipping not included.
Moxie Bootlegger

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2022, 09:10:00 PM »
Sounds like we got a bargain, even after a lot of hard work.  Another well done by our planning department.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2022, 08:31:23 AM »
I know we have a plan, but it's not planning per se that makes these things happen, as Wayne will attest, it's a whole lotta mind-numbing scrounging that finds these little nuggets.

BTW - did we get the needed GE wiring drawings and component diagrams that we were missing?  If not, let me know and I will get back to my contacts and dig some more.
Moxie Bootlegger

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2022, 06:12:52 PM »
There is a reprint of an operator's manual for a GE 45 tonner on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373164519828

Not sure if this is what you're looking for.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2022, 06:16:35 PM »
This discussion on Railway Preservation News may give you some leads.

http://rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38304

Jeff S.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2022, 07:23:19 PM »
A mutual friend of Stewart and I suggested checking with the Maryland & Pennsylvania Preservation Society. They are restoring a GE 45 tonner.

Jeff S.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2023, 05:28:37 AM »
A little work on 53 this weekend..

Mike