Author Topic: The Notch  (Read 2625 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
The Notch
« on: January 08, 2009, 10:07:22 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
The Notch has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Mike Fox wrote:
I guess I need to open up discussion on this topic. I took some photos today of various places along the line. One was the notch. Or what I thought was the notch. Looking at several different photos in a few different books, I can find only one that shows where I think the real notch is. South of Hancock Pond. Several other photos show another photogenic spot on the line about a mile North of Perley's Mill. But the still call it the notch. So, is the notch north of Perley's or South of Hancock Pond? The map says south but photos show otherwise. Anybody have any Ideas? I can share my photos when I'm done editing if it would help. The photos in question are in Two Feet to the Lakes, pg.93, pg.138, and pg. 183.
Mike

Dana Deering replied:
Mike,
The Notch is south of Hancock Pond and the camp road to the West Shore now runs through it on the old roadbed.  I know where the other spot is that you are talking about.  There is a big boulder that sticks out over the roadbed right on a curve.  There is a photo of number 8 coming around that curve that is mistakenly identified as the Notch.  It isn't.  I don't know if that spot had a name.  A couple of years ago I rode my mountain bike up to Deep Cut to take some photos and on the way back I took some shots of  the spot where 8 was photo'd.  I tried to get the same angle.  If I had the ability to scan photos I'd post 'em.
Dana

Mike Fox replied:
I have found 3 or 4 photos of that spot. I always thought the ground was wrong but wasn't positive until yesterday. The big boulder is a dead giveaway. I also happenned to get the same angle as what is on pg.93 of TFTTL. That is the same cut, just on the south end. And of course, no train.
Mike

Mike Fox replied:
For those of you with it, Compare these photos with ones in Two Feet to the Lakes. Page 93 for the top. Page 138 shows the large boulder that is seen in the bottom photo, albeit from a different angle. This is the notch North of Perley's Mills. Not actually listed on any railroad map so I simply call it the Northern Notch.
Mike

Stewart Rhine replied:
Nice photos Mike!

Mike Fox replied:
Thanks Stewart. I never knew how hard it would be to get decent winter shots with a digital camera. So much white. But a little enhancing and it really makes them come alive.
Mike

Dana Deering replied:
Hey Mike,
My favorite mini-Notch is located just south of the Swamp Road Crossing and north of the Hancock Pond Road Crossing.  Have you seen it?
Dana

Mike Fox replied:
You mean this one?? This is looking south where the snowmobile trail heads off the right of way.

Stephen Hussar replied:
Great pictures, Mike -- thanks for venturing out into the great white north to shoot them!

Dana Deering replied:
That's the one, Mike.  I was looking at 2FTTL and there is a photo (forget which page) of #8 and a short train approaching the Hancock Pond Rd crossing southbound and in the very upper right hand corner of the photo you can see that little notch.  Oh, and the building that is in the photo across the road from the tracks is still there.  I think (from memory, so don't count on it) that the photo of 8 coming arond the curve near the big boulder is on page 181 at the top.
Going to Hancock to ice fish on Sunday!
Dana

Mike Fox replied:
Very Close Dana. Page 183. And Short train?? I guess. #8 and 101. Lots of revenue there. Page 178 in case someone else wants to see it.
And Steve, glad I went out when I did. we now have between 14 and 20 inches of fresh snow. Better riding for snowmobiles but it covers a lot of detail.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum