Author Topic: Bridgton Historical Society  (Read 3304 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Bridgton Historical Society
« on: January 08, 2009, 08:38:57 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Bridgton Historical Society has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Mike Fox wrote:
All,
I have just spent a few hours at the Bridgton Historical Society looking for pictures for the upcoming reprint of a book. Anyhow, they are looking for something. They need Two Feet to the Lakes. If anybody knows of a spare copy or sees one and is willing to donate it to them, it would be greatly appreciated.
This is their off time. They are not open without an appointment. I do recommend to anybody who has the time during the summer, to stop in and see the photos and other interesting documents they have there. Even the large maps that I think Dana had spoke of before. If only there were maps like that of the WW&F. Very detailed. Right down to the telephone pole placement.
If there is anyone interested in joining the Historical Society, e-mail me with your address and I'll send you a copy or I can scan the form and attach it to an e-mail and send it to you that way.
And they still have copies of the Bicentennial book along with another book about Main Street Bridgton. I remember someone asking about a book but can't remember which book.
Mike

Duncan Mackiewicz replied:
Mike,
I bought the book Rediscovering Main Street by Judy Blake.  Quite interesting if you are into the history of buildings around town.  The BHS used to have a copy of Two Feet to the Lakes that was not allowed out of their hands.  Perhaps someone visited and bought or stole it.  I do not have a spare copy to share anymore.  Advise them to contact JLB Enterprises on the net at http://www.sandyriver.com/other.htm - Two Feet to the Lakes is currently out of stock but they might put the BHS on a waiting list.  Good folks to work with.  I've spent a few $$ there myself and actually sold them a spare copy of the book years ago.
Duncan

John McNamara replied:
I remember going to a Bridgton Historical Society meeting one time when they were having a presentation on the B&SR / B&H. A business meeting was included in the agenda. When their treasurer stood up to give his report of their net worth, I expected some very modest number like $1,000. Instead, it was something like $440,000! They own Narramissic Farm, a big, beautiful farm in South Bridgton.
I guess they suffer from the usual problem of historical societies, which is that people usually become interested in their town's history when they have lived there long enough to have seen a lot of it. Unfortunately, that means their age is relatively advanced.

John,
I visit the BHS every year in August and I have yet to encounter the same folks.  The person who is in charge seems to change each year and yes, it's usually someone who is quite advanced in their years.  Most of the time I encounter knowledgeable folks but if not, they can advise who could answer my questions and when they would be in attendance.  Nice folks there.
Duncan
PS: The BHS lost one of their greatest resources when Judy Blake passed away a year or so ago.  I spent a few afternoons with her editing the material she eventually included in the B&SR presentation on the BHS website. What a treasure she was.

Hi all,
I just went to the BHS new website and found that much of the pictorial information on the B&SR that had been there is now missing.  Perhaps the pictures were unintentionally "lost" when the society went from website provider to another and then again the added pictures (including that great trestle-burying shot at Hancock Brook Arch) may have been intentionally removed to save space.  Don't know and the contact link to the museum isn't there either.  I'll try to reach them by phone to find out.
Duncan

Mike Fox replied:
Duncan,
Evidently you have not met Evalyn Lamb yet. She has been there 20 years and is an archive nut. She loves to research genealogy and things for people. She is very knowledgeable. She is not into the railroad side of things but is familiar enough to show where things are.
They have a new webmaster over there now and he has redesigned the website. Once they get the bugs out of it, I think it will be quite nice.
Mike

Mike,
I hope so.  I have sent an email to the BHS asking if the pictures are gone for good or if the omission is just an error.  I have yet to receive a reply.  I'll have to be watching for Evalyn Lamb in my dealings with them.  Perhaps our paths have crossed in the past and the name was forgotten.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum