Author Topic: July 2021 Work Reports  (Read 16854 times)

Benjamin Richards

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: July 2021 Work Reports
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2021, 09:00:27 PM »
Bob, I think the template should be the track token flag inside the station. It has all the desired features and specifications. I could also make a drawing.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2021, 05:56:35 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday July 10:

* Public hiking and lavender trains.
* Earth moving at Top of Mtn (initially it's probably more like tree moving)
* Machine shop
* Work on the lawn tool shed
* Board meeting at 4.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2021, 08:41:51 AM »
Anticipated Operations for Saturday, July 10th.
10:00am: Handcar Hop (AVAILABLE)
12:00pm: Sheepscot Valley Steam Train (tix available), Ride the Rails to Hike the Trails (3 tix available) and Caboose Adventure (AVAILABLE).
2:00pm: Sheepscot Valley Steam Train (tix available) and Caboose Adventure (SOLD OUT).
4:00pm: Lavender Pickin' Dinnertime Train (tix available), Sheepscot Valley Steam Train (tix available) and Caboose Adventure (SOLD OUT.)
6:00pm: Lavender Pickin' Dinnertime Train (tix available), Sheepscot Valley Steam Train (tix available) and Caboose Adventure (SOLD OUT.)
8:00pm: Sheepscot Valley Sunset Special (tix available) [Pickup passengers from Lavender Farm]

Extra assistance is always appreciated - contact crewcaller@traincrew.wwfry.org to sign up, or learn how to be qualified.

Specifically, we NEED assistance for the evening trains - the Lavender trains are selling very well and crowd control at Sheepscot and on the train will be needed. Contact ed.lecuyer@wwfry.org to help.

All trains are limited to 75 passengers and all tickets must be purchased in advance.
All passengers and crew must adhere to the COVID-19 Policy published at www.wwfry.org/covid
Visit www.wwfry.org/tickets to buy tickets.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2021, 08:48:33 AM »
Yes, tree trimming Saturday at TOM and maybe a little earthwork, but only until lunch. We will clear out prior to the event so we do not disturb it. Any help will be welcome as I want to pile the brush to burn it this winter. Parking at the end of the Fossel Rd and walking up the tracks.

Also, I will need a hand first thing unloading benches at AC. They are heavy, and I don't want to blow a gasket..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stephen Lennox

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2021, 07:31:30 PM »
Work completed Tuesday and Wednesday June 6-7 2021.

Tuesday:

*  Fred Shed, work continues with new shelving and work benches. It is noted that Stewart and crew
    have been working on the shed Saturday through Monday.

*  Coach #3, wheel replacement, the truck was pulled, wheels replaced and truck remounted.
    (Jason, Eric, Jerry, Randy, Elija, James)

*  Coach #9 assembly continues.  (Ron, Lou)

*  Car journal oiling  (Phil)

*  Location #8 Crib, constructed  (Steve L, Leon, Chuck, Brian W)

*  Engine house work  (Brendan)

* Box car rebuild  (Marcel)

Wednesday:

*  Ballast, Fred loaded ballast for crib work.

*  Location #8 Crib,  ballasted, clean up and completed   (Steve L, Leon, Chuck)

*  Coach #3 wheel replacement, truck adjustment, replacement completed. (Jason, Eric, Randy)

*  Coach #9 assembly.  (Eric, Ron)

*  Locomotive Maintenance, #9 smoke box cleaned out, #8 steam cleaned  (Bryce)

*  Sheepscot Campus mowing.  (Fred)

*  Switching, Coach #3 returned to Car Bar bay #1,  (Brendan, Steve L)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2021, 07:56:26 PM »
Sunday July 4th between a parade and family time, I spent about an hour making pieces for 8 new benches for AC..

Tuesday I was back at it after 13 hours at work (a normal day for now), spent another hour and finished cutting and assembled all the legs.

I made a quick jig on the floor and put them together.

And just a little time tonight so I finished one. Hoping to assemble the other 7 tomorrow night.

Mike

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2021, 07:11:14 AM »
Looking good, Mike.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2021, 09:22:39 AM »
Good job of work Mike but when do you sleep ?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2021, 02:48:18 PM »
I don't..
Mike

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2021, 05:55:21 PM »
Hey Mike,

How about saving some of that fun work for us FWW folks to tackle.  Not all of us can do trackwork anymore.
Moxie Bootlegger

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2021, 05:31:22 AM »
I would love to but we need seating for 75 by July 17th. I am sure there will be more needed and I for one would not mind someone else doing them. One thng that could be done FWW is all the seats painted. The Pressure Treated is wet right now but by then it should be dried enough for a coat of paint.

And, as the use of the Pavilion evolves, I am thinking we may even want some kind of sectional stage, something that can be taken apart and moved easily.

Anyhow, last night I finished the 5th new bench out of 9, one is already at the ACP..

« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 05:55:39 AM by Mike Fox »
Mike

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2021, 12:32:49 AM »
Mike

I would recommend Semi - Transparent Stain rather than paint. If there
is any moisture in the wood it will push the paint off the surface.

People had/have that problem with decks when I worked in the hardware store. Also make sure all 6 sides
get coated, as they will be in an environment that is not entirely dry.

Looking good.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2021, 06:54:25 PM »
Work done on Saturday July 10:

* Track inspection: after yesterday's deluge rains, we inspected the line before the first train.  Two crossings had dirt washed over them, and were cleaned.  No other issues.
* Top of Mountain: Mike was working to clear a new road for the farm loop.
* Lawn care shed: Stewart was building shelves and mounting a vise.
* Coach 9: Alan was machining pedestals for the truck.  Nicole was making the new axles shiny (where the journals will be).
* Trains: well attended.
* Board meeting: we made good progress.  I was running the meeting on Ed's computer, so if people tried to get in but could not my apologies for not paying attention at the right moments.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2021, 08:37:06 PM »
8 more benches were delivered today to AC..after a stop at the Depot at 6am for more screws. I ran out last night with 2 benches to finish.

And some before and after shots of what I did at TOM. I was hoping for help, but wound up working by myself. I made one brush pile out of the way and we may or may not burn it this winter. It could become a habitat for animals if left alone.

Before. Looking up the old twitch road I found this winter, toward the Lyons field.

After I brushed to the first opening. Brush pile is on the right out of sight.

And after I cleared the stinky dog wood out of the way. Did I mention they stunk?

Veering off the twitch road slightly, headed for the southern part of the loop.

And standing in the loop looking toward what was cut. I was done for today.

Also, Stewart has installed this overhang at Freds insistance over the doors of the Fred Shed.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 08:42:27 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2021, 09:07:38 PM »
After a long day at the railroad including the board meeting, I was having dinner about 9:00. On my mind was the whistle I heard for the 8:00 pm train. It occurred to me how many WW&F volunteers made today a success. We had two entirely different train crews due to the number of trains today. James has already reported on all that was going on. He didn’t catch it all. Relatively new volunteers and old alike pitched in. One stands out for special mention though he will be embarrassed by it - Trainmaster Ed Lecuyer saw to it that all trains were crewed, drafted the operating plan and arranged to Zoom the board meeting. He may have also served on the evening train crew.
As I write this I’m sure the last piece of equipment is just being put away.
The smiles and thank yous that were seen and heard today were evidence that our hard work was worth it all. I couldn’t be prouder to be associated with such an incredible group of people. Thank you all!!!
Dave
PS And to think Fred wasn’t anywhere to be seen today. Imagine what else would have been accomplished!