Author Topic: July 2021 Work Reports  (Read 16597 times)

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
Re: July 2021 Work Reports
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2021, 09:39:40 PM »
Some photos from today.

* Track inspection: after yesterday's deluge rains, we inspected the line before the first train.  Two crossings had dirt washed over them, and were cleaned.  No other issues.

James, Steve Leet, Dave Buczkowski and I were on the inspection train, No. 52 running light.  Crossings needing attention were Jayne's Way and Sutter's.  We then checked Humason Brook.  The flow under the trestle was a trickle a week ago.  Roger Whitney said his rain gauge in Puddledock showed 5 inches of rain fell from Elsa yesterday, and it was very evident at Humason trestle today.

View looking north toward Alna Center:

View looking south back toward Sheepscot. 

After the inspection trip, the public train's consist (north-to-south Maine Locomotive & Machine Works open coach No. 130, WW&F flatcar No. 118, WW&F coach No. 8, WW&F caboose No. 320) was assembled for the first train at 12 noon.  Here Dave guides No. 9's engine crew to couple onto coach No. 8 in the Sheepscot upper yard as James and Steve look on.

* Trains: well attended.

Yes.  A view after the 12 noon train arrived at Top of Mountain.  Run around for No. 9 is starting.

* Coach 9: Alan was machining pedestals for the truck.  Nicole was making the new axles shiny (where the journals will be).

Photos here.
What–me worry?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2021, 05:25:39 AM »
One stands out for special mention though he will be embarrassed by it - Trainmaster Ed Lecuyer saw to it that all trains were crewed, drafted the operating plan and arranged to Zoom the board meeting. He may have also served on the evening train crew.

I best not single anyone out, otherwise I will be embarrassed by omission - but special mention to everyone who saw to it that the trains were crewed, the operating plan drafted and executed, and are interested enough in our organization to attend a "Bored" meeting from away. And thanks to the diehards who served on the evening train crew after a long day.

[EDited.]
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2021, 08:45:24 AM »
Thanks for the photos, Bill. Is Dave doing a fish count on the trestle in the 2nd photo? 8)

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Stephen Lennox

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2021, 07:25:30 AM »
Anticipated work for Tuesday and Wednesday 13-14 July 2021.

*  Engine house construction (as needed)
*  Building concrete form for Trout Brook turn table.
*  Photo charter preparation
*  Yard switching
*  Fred Shed build continues
*  Shop work  (pending)

Note:  July 24, “Rules Review”

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2021, 09:57:05 AM »
Brendan has just confirmed that he does need help this week to get the track installed in the enginehouse.  If you're available, please come lend a hand.

Thanks,
Jason

Pete Stevens

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2021, 06:50:10 PM »
Where Steve Lennox says "Yard Switching" for work to do today... I have to say as a complete novice, that I was impressed by the logic-puzzle game of shuffle that went on to move B&SR #8 up to ML&M.

Kudos to Dan, Bryce, Jeff, and Jason for pulling off a remarkable feat! - and for allowing Cody and me to ride along.

The process went something like this (It really needs a diagram):
1) Clean up and lubricate #8, move handcar, crane, and trucks out of the way.
2) Couple #52 to Flatcar #118 and #118 to Loco #8
3) Drop #8 on the mainline at ML&M
4) Couple #118 to two B&SR boxcars at ML&M, pull them off the siding, split them apart, push the unnumbered one back onto siding,
5) Couple B&SR #51 to Loco #8 (after Jason brings a spare coupler pin), push #8 onto siding
5a) Not sure which was heavier - the deer flies or the rain
6) Head to TOM pulling #118 and #51, runaround with #52
7) Stop off at Alna Center to pet Steve P's goats
8) Return to Sheepscot

Here Dan removes a trig.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 07:25:55 PM by Pete Stevens »

Pete Stevens

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2021, 07:11:06 PM »
And here are two photos Cody took of the prep work on the Engine House rails (before we were lured away by all the other excitement)

He didn't take this one...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2021, 05:51:28 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday July 17:

* Earth/tree/vegetation moving at Top of Mountain, with Mike
* Engine house work
* Machine shop work
* Lawn equipment shed work
* Lavender/Storytime train rides
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 08:50:10 AM by Ed Lecuyer »

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2021, 08:52:58 AM »
Anticipated Operations for Saturday, July 17th.
10:00am: Handcar Hop (AVAILABLE)
12:00pm: Sheepscot Valley Steam Train (tix available), Storytime Train w/ Stationmaster Steve (tix available) and Caboose Adventure (AVAILABLE).
2:00pm: Sheepscot Valley Steam Train (tix available) and Caboose Adventure (AVAILABLE).
4:00pm: Lavender Pickin' Dinnertime Train (tix available), Sheepscot Valley Steam Train (tix available) and Caboose Adventure (SOLD OUT.)
6:00pm: Lavender Pickin' Dinnertime Train (tix available), Sheepscot Valley Steam Train (tix available) and Caboose Adventure (SOLD OUT.)
8:00pm: Sheepscot Valley Sunset Special (tix available) [Pickup passengers from Lavender Farm]

Extra assistance is always appreciated - contact crewcaller@traincrew.wwfry.org to sign up, or learn how to be qualified.

Specifically, we NEED assistance for the evening trains - the Lavender trains are selling very well and crowd control at Sheepscot and on the train will be needed. Contact ed.lecuyer@wwfry.org to help.

All trains are limited to 75 passengers and all tickets must be purchased in advance.
All passengers and crew must adhere to the COVID-19 Policy published at www.wwfry.org/covid
Visit www.wwfry.org/tickets to buy tickets.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2021, 02:42:30 PM »
If anyone is available to help me switch tomorrow that would be greatly appreciated.  If so please drop me a line.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2021, 05:33:47 PM »
Thanks to Stewart and Steve P for helping me switch today.  We consolidated open space in the barn to accommodate coach 8 and caboose 320 coupled and under cover, as well as making space for B&SR 7 to come and go over the next month’s worth of special operations. 

Thanks,
Jason

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2021, 04:58:17 PM »
Work done on Saturday Jul 17:

* Top of Mountain: Mike and I continued to blaze a return road for the farm trailers, we reached the field. 
* Alna Center: After Stationmaster Steve gave his story to kids, Mike worked around the pavilion.
* Roundhouse: Brendan was leveling up the track that will have concrete around it, and started working on the flangeways.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2021, 07:37:19 PM »
The road James spoke of, from the loop.

Looking back at the loop.

A little further in.

And further in still..looking toward the tracks.

Turned and looked to the field. My plan was to make is so you could not see the destination from the train..

Moved toward the field a bit..

The Farm

Looking toward the train from the field. Still some limb pruning to do.

The Pavilion got some trimming..

Fred and Rand have been keeping the fields mowed. I wanted to do more trimming but the rain came in.

Fred and Dwight trimmed Fossel Rd. part way

It was thicker than this when they started

« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 07:39:57 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2021, 07:49:14 AM »
Zack also helped with the trim work on Fossel Rd.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2021, 07:24:30 PM »
On Saturday we carried well north of 200 passengers - including the "Storytime Train with Stationmaster Steve" (which was very well received) and the "Lavender Pickin' Dinnertime Trains to SeaLyon Farm" which included one damp, but not horrible, 4pm experience.

Some recent (public) reviews left for us - all 5-stars:

What a great railway experience for both adults and children. Worth a trip to check out authentic steam railroad

Fun, little historic ride. Volunteers we're very friendly and informative. Make sure to wear sunglasses to help avoid particles from the steam.

Great organization. they love to run the trains for the public to enjoy. This is one of the places in Maine you must visit.

First time visiting. Took the lavender sunset ride out to the farm. Had a GREAT time. We will definitely be back and can't wait to show our friends and family!
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum