Author Topic: June 2021 Work reports  (Read 19207 times)

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: June 2021 Work reports
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2021, 06:47:54 AM »
Section house exterior done.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2021, 07:51:07 AM »
It looks like a brand new building. Nice work, Stewart.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2021, 08:21:38 AM »
Well done Stewart Neat work the section house is all set to hold out in decades again;

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2021, 10:27:34 AM »
Start,

Not only does the building look great, the grounds around it are cleaned up nicely.  Another job well done.  You are hereby commended.

Bill
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2021, 01:14:36 PM »
Very nice job, Start, and everyone else that repaired the sills and window!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2021, 05:58:29 PM »
Worked my way North from AC today, using Casey first because it was raining and Casey has a roof. Some of the stumps came out easily, and still others I had to do a bit of digging. One I have left. I was concerned it was rooted under the tracks and would create an issue I could not correct before train time.

I made very quick work to where the dozer sits in this next photo, down by the field. I then used the Kubota and removed the stumps that the dozer would not get.

This is the one I left. We can easily cut it down to grade level.

Lunch time..

End of the day. I had popped out some stumps from the field and left them so the dirt can dry. I will knock it off with the Kubota next week. I do not have a home for these stumps yet. I need to ask the land owner if he would mind if we placed them on his property, out of sight.

And John, our phone line is still intact, so far...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 06:00:40 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2021, 09:36:03 AM »
Some more photos from yesterday, June 19th:

New overhead crane in shop bay 1 (as mentioned in Steve Lennox' June 17th post above).

and the replacement cranes over shop bay 3.

Brendan Barry unloaded old pressure treated wooden highway guard posts recently delivered by Maine Locomotive & Machine Works.  The posts will be cut down for use as ties.

A framed view of No. 9 taking on water, as seen from the north end of Franklin & Megantic No. 2.  A five-car train was run most of the day for the public, consisting of (north-to-south) WW&F flatcar No. 118 (with benches), F&M No. 2 (courtesy of ML&MW), MLWM open car No. 130, WW&F coach No. 8 and WW&F caboose No. 320.

Our "Railroader’s Cookout and Farmstand Express" event was focused on Top of Mountain, where the public enjoyed SeaLyon Farm's farm stand, a cookout by Grandpa’s Kitchen Specialty Smoked Meats, horse-drawn wagon rides provided by Linda and Jay Verney, and old-fashioned lawn games.

Busy, warm day yesterday.  Beyond the public event at ToM, we hosted a private event at Alna Center and a cub scout campout a little ways down along the Mountain Extension.  79 passengers on the first train north at 11 a.m., and for the 3 p.m. round trip, there were 70 aboard when we returned to Sheepscot.  Trains in between were also busy.
What–me worry?

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2021, 09:02:22 PM »
I must admit I was becoming more and more concerned as I figured out where each photo was taken. This work might be a good occasion to bury the line.....

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2021, 09:24:05 PM »
Ed and I used the mag phone several times Saturday between ToM and SS.  Voice clear- but the ringer didn’t go through.  So I’d call on my cell phone, ask Ed to pick up the mag phone, then hang up the cell. 

See ya
Jason

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2021, 10:06:15 PM »
Ed and I used the mag phone several times Saturday between ToM and SS.  Voice clear- but the ringer didn’t go through.  So I’d call on my cell phone, ask Ed to pick up the mag phone, then hang up the cell. 

See ya
Jason

Interesting. I'm presuming you were calling FROM TOM to SS and there was no ringy dingy at SS?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2021, 10:43:10 PM »
Correct. No ringy at SS. I never tried to call ToM from SS.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2021, 07:27:03 AM »
I must admit I was becoming more and more concerned as I figured out where each photo was taken. This work might be a good occasion to bury the line.....

Already planning on doing that. Getting those pesky stumps out of the way first, and want to put it where the least chance of being disturbed would be. A nice line fence would protect it and be historic looking..
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 07:30:38 AM by Mike Fox »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stephen Lennox

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2021, 07:31:44 AM »
Anticipated work for Tuesday and Wednesday June 22-23, 2021.

*  Rail and joint bar selection from Albees Field and Top of the Mountain for the engine house.
*  Shop work wheel pressing, vacuum brakes  (pending)
*  Brookville rebuild
*  Engine house

Rules and Standards for Operations

XIX.   General Rules  (Rules A – U)

F.  Reporting Unusual Occurrences

Any unusual circumstance which could cause injury or death, damage to property
or disruption of railroad operations must be reported to the Dispatcher as soon as possible.

Additionally, any mechanical failure, derailment or other occurrence affecting equipment must
be reported to the Railroad Superintendent or as soon as possible, in order to allow a thorough mechanical inspection.

An incident report must be completed and submitted by the Foreman most involved with the event
if that incident involves a personal injury or death, damage to equipment or derailment.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2021, 09:39:23 AM »
Correct. No ringy at SS. I never tried to call ToM from SS.
I'm hoping to be there next weekend (26th) and will solicit help (calling and answering) to check it out. :o

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2021, 09:43:11 AM »

Already planning on doing that. Getting those pesky stumps out of the way first, and want to put it where the least chance of being disturbed would be. A nice line fence would protect it and be historic looking..

Wonderful! Thanks!