Author Topic: June 2021 Work reports  (Read 18999 times)

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: June 2021 Work reports
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2021, 10:10:39 AM »
Correct. No ringy at SS. I never tried to call ToM from SS.

Interesting. When I was up on a previous time Mr. McNamara was testing the phone line in May I heard ringing in the bay 4 shop, but wasn't sure if there had been anybody in the station to answer or not. I ended up taking the call in the shop.

Perhaps the ringer is the issue in the station since everything else seems to be working?
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F/Essex
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2021, 08:58:30 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday June 26:

* Tie and Dine - the last one scheduled.  Not sure about the "dine" part.
* Machine shop
* Enginehouse
* Earthmoving?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2021, 11:05:56 AM »
"Dine" will be Pizza at Alna Center.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Stephen Lennox

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2021, 08:42:24 AM »
Work completed Tuesday and Wednesday 22-23 June 2021.

Tuesday:

*  Rail selection for bays inside the Engine house.  (Steve L, Brendan, Jonathan, Brian W)
*  Coach #9 assembly continues (Eric, Ron)
*  Gift Shop inventory  (Stewart, Cindy R)
*  Shop work  (Jerry)
*  Caboose clean up and repairs  (Pete, Cody)
*  Ties, cutting ties to proper length  (Fred)
*  Clean up of the location for the (Fred) Shed between garage and woods track
                  (Brendan, Fred, Steve L, Brian W)
*  Brookville assembly (and it looks great)  (Jay B)

Wednesday:

*  Oil shed clean out and relocated  (Brendan, Steve L, Brian W, Dan)
*  Alna Center mowing  (Fred, Randy)
*  Ties, 50 more ties cut and stacked  (Fred, Brian W, Randy, Dan, Steve L)
*  Stone placed/graded in preparation of the new shed  (Brendan)
*  Mountain extension run around, measured and rail count for same  (Jason)
*  Main Line at Alna Center joint bar bolts located/marked for replacement  (Steve L, Randy)
*  Brookville work continues  (Jay B)
*  Coach #9 assembly  (Eric, Ron)

Note: There is always other work on going both on and off-site by other volunteers
          often not mentioned.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2021, 07:03:44 PM »
We need help for Saturday's "Tie and Dine" (or "Line and Dine".) As of right now, there are only 4 people signed up.

If you plan on attending, please sign up at:
https://fareharbor.com/embeds/book/wwfry/items/293285/calendar/2021/06/?full-items=yes

Please note that as of this writing, lunch for Saturday's "Tie and Dine" will be on-your-own. Please bring a bagged lunch.
Dinner will still be served at the Alna Center Event Pavilion following the days work. Menu will include Pizza and Dan's famous homemade Mac 'n Cheese.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 08:25:18 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2021, 08:26:42 PM »
UPDATE: Lunch will be provided to all crews at Sheepscot. Nancy is making spaghetti, corn, garlic bread, and dessert!
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2021, 04:33:34 PM »
Work done on Saturday June 26:

* Tie/Line and Dine - A dozen or so ties (all the ones that were left before the new batch arrived) were replaced midway on Davis Grade.  After that was track lining on Davis in the morning, and from Trask Crossing to Alna Center in the afternoon.
* Earth moving - Mike is destumping along Albee's field.
* Track tool shed - Stewart was waiting for the tool shed to be (partially) emptied in order to do some work inside.  I didn't get in to look.
* Machine shop - Alan was removing welds from two metal pieces in order to use one of them elsewhere.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2021, 06:22:55 PM »
The dynamic team of Fred, Zack & Dwight cut a batch of ties to 5' and stacked them in front of the garage.  I helped a little but spent more time getting three loads of trash sorted and moved out of the garage to be ready for dump day next week. 

Fred took a break to show us the new Fred shed that he purchased for the museum. It's a nice building that is located next to the garage.  It will house M-O-W equipment. The south door will be rebuilt to allow the lawn tractors to be put inside.

The WW&F Model AA truck was checked over and started, it fired right up after sitting for almost a year. 

Pete Stevens

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2021, 06:41:32 PM »
A few photos from the day.
More can be seen at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/VNaX1W3wADw215kG9
And I have several from Cody's camera yet to add.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 07:02:26 PM by Pete Stevens »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2021, 07:09:14 PM »
Sometimes it's the little things that make the day a little more enjoyable..

The rest of day was spent tossing the stumps across the tracks, then tucking them into the tree line, then leveled out what I stumped. Next weekend will be it there for now. I should make it to the first maple tree, which is about halfway.

The Kubota could not pick up 4 of the big ones, so they were pushed south and I lined them up to look like they were there when cut down.

But then..

End of the day.

The big stumps are to my right.

The big stumps are not visible, but on the right just before the field starts

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2021, 07:13:58 PM »
A few photos from the day.
More can be seen at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/VNaX1W3wADw215kG9
And I have several from Cody's camera yet to add.
Wow, if you look at the first two photos in the link you quickly realize that Cody, our diminutive Railway Photographer is also becoming adapt at finding tasks to which he can make a contribution.  His working on the spring hangers on the upside-down trailer is a classic example of his enthusiasm, industriousness and commitment.  Perhaps we have another Jason in the making.   
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2021, 08:30:40 AM »
Cody takes excellent photos.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2021, 08:38:54 AM »
Perhaps Cody could be encouraged to take some photos of the 'Fred Shed'.  ;D
Graham

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2021, 05:08:56 PM »
Some photos from yesterday.

Following delivery of used wooden highway guard rail posts a week or so ago, Fred has been busy.  Here is the start of cut tie piles next to the car barn.

Dwight Winkley and Zack Wiley stack a cut tie (forground), as Fred prepares to cut the next post with a chainsaw (background).

Dan Malkowski led yesterday's Tie & Dine event.  Here he tells volunteers the day's plans:  Replace ties along the grade between Brook and Sutter's crossings, and then line.

For tie replacement, three teams worked:  One removing old ties; one installing and spiking new; and the third shoveling stone back in place and hand tamping around the new ties.  Here Bill Piche pushes and Dan pulls out an old tie to be replaced:

A new tie is spiked:

The third crew shoveled the stone back around each new tie, shovel-tamped, then used tamping bars.  Pete and Cody Stevens help tamp with tamping bars.

After the last of the ties were replaced, this section of track was lined.

Master Obi-Wan trains Luke in the ways of the Force.  Past roadmaster Dana Deering lends a helpful eye to Dan as he guides the lining.

Yoda helped, too.  Dave Buczkowski also lent an eye.

The day's work train, seen at lunch at Sheepscot.  Left-to-right: WW&F flatcar No. 126 loaded with supplies for the trackwork; WW&F No. 52; WW&F flatcar No. 118, equipped with benches for public trains; and Maine Locomotive & Machine Works open car No. 130.

During the afternoon volunteers lined track from south of Trask's crossing up to Alna Center, and then moved to the area south of Top of Mountain.  Here volunteers finish up near Top of Mountain.

Pete and Cody, Ed Lecuyer and I used loppers to cut saplings along the right-of-way as the trackwork was underway.  A blade trimmer was also used to cut brush around Trask's crossing.

Yesterday was the last Work Saturday for this spring (and early summer) and the last of three Tie & Dine events.  From all I've seen, these Work Saturdays have been very successful, thanks to Dan and other team leaders.  I hope this becomes a new tradition, along with our spring and fall work weekends which hopefully can resume in October.
What–me worry?

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2021, 07:38:42 AM »
Great photos, Bill. Maybe the one of Dave should be titled “The Umpire Strikes Back”.  Anyway, a lot of work got done on Saturday and we had a good crew. Dan did an excellent job coordinating the track work. It’s great to see the younger folks take on leadership roles. It’s good to know that the railroad will be in good hands for years to come.