Author Topic: WW&F Gondolas - pictures and numbers?  (Read 2329 times)

Benjamin Maggi

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
WW&F Gondolas - pictures and numbers?
« on: May 18, 2021, 03:08:02 PM »
I am slowly building up a small train of On30 cars based on the WW&F. Recently, I purchased from Train Troll (https://traintroll.com/narrowgaugekits.html) four kits: one each for a W&Q 28' flatcar, W&Q 28' gondola, W&Q 28' boxcar #24, and WW&F boxcar #309. The first flatcar will become WW&F #118, but I am puzzled what to do with the gondola. I have the Kohler/McChesney book volume 4 showing equipment but don't see pictures of original gondolas, just modified flatcars. Perhaps that is what the Train Troll model is supposed to be.

Did the WW&F ever own gondolas? If so, how were they painted and lettered/numbered? Does the museum plan to build one? I could just build a flatcar and letter it WW&F #126 but a gondola would be an interesting car.

Thanks!

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F Gondolas - pictures and numbers?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 08:28:58 AM »
Hi Ben,
Several things for your consideration.  First, flatcar #118 was one of the "newer" flatcars, so it's length is basically the same as boxcar 309, not like the shorter flatcars of the W&Q.  Next, most of the flatcars had (and we still have) boards that were held up by the stakes in the stake pockets.  There were plans for "hopper" cars, of which I believe flatcar #118 was to be a part of; the truss rods were bunched on each side so that sections of the floor could have been hinged to open.  The sides and ends would have mounted into the stake pockets, too.  The Maine State Archives has the original plans from the Portland Company.  In fact, there was a discussion here on the forum several years ago that centered around what car(s) t build next, and a hopper car had been proposed for hauling ballast for constructing the Mountain Extension.  As it was, we managed to build it without a special freight car.  There was also the issue at the time of lacking spare complete trucks and couplers to build a freight car that was just that - a freight car - and not something like a flat car, which can have slatted sides and bench seats installed for carrying passengers.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with a link to the other post on the forum that discussed the hopper cars.
Dave Crow

Benjamin Maggi

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 09:16:26 AM »
Thanks. So it sounds like either of the 28' cars I have (flatcar and gondola) wouldn't match current WW&F equipment. Oh well, I guess for now I will paint them as flatcars #118 and #126 and leave the gondola sides off the second one. They will be too short, but I guess I can live with that.

Second follow-up question: what colors should the trucks be painted? I am painting the cars as they might appear at the WW&F museum today, not how they were painted 100 years ago. I have seen pictures of the trucks on freight cars painted all black; all red; black with red boards; and a brownish color. Is it just weathering and shadows, or does the WW&F have a standard for painting the trucks?

Thanks.
Ben

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 09:25:57 AM »
This may be the earlier thread that Dave was referring to:

https://forum.wwfry.org/index.php/topic,318.msg2474.html#msg2474
Graham

Benjamin Maggi

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 10:05:26 AM »
Thanks!

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 12:12:53 PM »
Ben and Graham,

Here is another thread about the hopper, including a reduced size copy of the blueprint:  https://forum.wwfry.org/index.php/topic,2705.msg27512.html#msg27512

Dave Crow