Author Topic: May 2021 Work Reports  (Read 6311 times)

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: May 2021 Work Reports
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2021, 07:54:29 PM »
My reaction is that Cody takes totally unconventional pictures that most of rail photogs would not even consider of interest!  This is a fascinating library of very different, and fascinating, views of the WW&F, that needs to be saved in the archives.

More from Cody in the future.

Bob

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2021, 08:42:56 PM »
Anticipated Operations for Saturday, May 29th.
9:00am: Handcar Hop (AVAILABLE)
11:00am: Sheepscot Valley Service, including Hike with Midcoast Conservancy (tix available) and Caboose Adventure (SOLD OUT.)
1:00pm: Sheepscot Valley Service (tix available) and Caboose Adventure (SOLD OUT.)
3:00pm: Sheepscot Valley Service (tix available) and Caboose Adventure (SOLD OUT.)
5:00pm: Pie and Dine (ANNULLED) - may substitute a Handcar Hop if there is demand.

Extra assistance is always appreciated - contact crewcaller@traincrew.wwfry.org to sign up, or learn how to be qualified.

Specifically, we NEED one or two people to act as Parking Attendants - especially between 10:30am to 1:00pm. Contact ed.lecuyer@wwfry.org to help.

All trains are limited to 75 passengers and all tickets must be purchased in advance.
All passengers and crew must adhere to the COVID-19 Policy published at www.wwfry.org/covid
Visit www.wwfry.org/tickets to buy tickets.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2021, 10:26:52 PM »
Cody is a very attentive future trainman and capable of a lot more as he grows.  When he is given clear instructions, he follows them.  When instructed on a task I also found him to be very safety conscious. 

Many of his pictures are, interestingly, from the perspective of a little person, which most of us overlook.  It was a pleasure to work with him the last couple of Saturdays.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 10:29:10 PM by Bill Baskerville »
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Pete Stevens

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2021, 10:59:40 PM »
Bill B, you have a devoted fan. Just look at him in that photo at the bathroom porch! You were so patient with him. He'll look longingly at #52 until you come back in the fall. Thank you so much for your kindness.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 11:01:35 PM by Pete Stevens »

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2021, 05:45:21 PM »
Work done on Saturday May 29:

* Electrical Building - Josh appeared and started organizing in the building, and putting in electrical boxes.
* Section house - Stewart was burning old wooden shingles from the section house, and some of the pieces of the newer shingles.
* Alna Center - in the afternoon Mike was moving dirt.

The day was cold and raw, starting out with rain.  The rain stopped, but it never warmed up that much.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2021, 08:41:03 PM »
We also ran public trains today, with some activities in conjunction with SeaLyon Farm and the Midcoast Conservancy.  Ridership was moderate, which I thought was quite good given the chilly, damp weather.  I didn't get a chance to take many photos, but here are a few random ones.

The consist of today's train was (north-to-south) Franklin & Megantic coach No. 2 (owned by Brian Fanslau/Maine Locomotive & Machine Works), open car No. 130 (also owned by Brian/MLMW), WW&F coach No. 8 and WW&F caboose No. 320.  I understand the caboose was sold out for all three trips today.

A busy scene by the water tower.  Dan Malkowski adds water to No. 9's tank, while smoke from the burning of the old shingles is seen by the Sheepscot section house.

Engineer Dana Deering talks with a young family.  All the visitors I spoke with today had a great time.

Our home-made tamper Big Joe, seen here on the shop bay 4 lead, has provided good service this spring, but the item I focused on here is the new drain between shop lead 4 (right) and the newly-restored turntable lead (left).  A lot of drainage work has been accomplished here and by the car barn, as well as the foundation excavation for the new engine house.
What–me worry?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2021, 09:13:46 PM »
The only photo I took of AC today was my oil filter removal device. I could not budge it by hand, and I did not want to return to Sheepscot to get a filter wrench, so I grabbed one of my ratchet straps and presto..

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2021, 09:50:08 PM »
The only photo I took of AC today was my oil filter removal device. I could not budge it by hand, and I did not want to return to Sheepscot to get a filter wrench, so I grabbed one of my ratchet straps and presto..

A belt works good in a pinch as a strap wrench, too.
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2021, 03:58:49 AM »
It ain't pretty, and it ain't neat but a screwdriver (i know use the correct tools)
driven through the can also works.

The new shingles on the section house look great - now can someone do something
about that eyesore of plywood in the window? A coat of black paint or denim blue or
hang an old coat so it is not so obnoxiously obvious? It has been years like that and does not
look good in photos.

Rant over  ;)

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2021, 01:35:20 PM »
It ain't pretty, and it ain't neat but a screwdriver (i know use the correct tools)
driven through the can also works.
I guy I worked with did that, he wasn't to handy, still couldn't get the filter off and had to have the car towed to a shop.
M. Nix
Mike Nix

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2021, 02:39:14 PM »
Repaired window will be picked up Tuesday, 1st June

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2021, 02:46:40 PM »
now can someone do something about that eyesore of plywood in the window?

My understanding is that something is planned. If it occurs, I suspect everyone will like the results....
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2021, 03:21:25 PM »
A coat of black paint on that plywood has been discussed for years. Real easy to get to now 😉
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2021, 03:59:30 PM »
Maybe an enlarged photo of Fred would work   ;)

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2021, 07:25:38 PM »
Pleaseeee!!!