Author Topic: May 2021 Work Reports  (Read 16772 times)

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: May 2021 Work Reports
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 09:03:45 AM »
Joe thank you for your kind explanations. The slowdown right before TOM on the steepiest part of the journey from TB  misled me and I jumped to the wrong  conclusion. Sorry. I do agree with you when you say running a train is an art as to stoke up a locomotive for that matter. In Pithiviers given the pretty flat profil of the main line  it's fairly easy to drive an engine, which is far from the case on the WW&F. Out here the only location where  you are likely to be in trouble is the short 0.3 % tight curved grade close to Pithiviers Station that mostly worries the enginneers when  the train goes downhill.

Stephen Lennox

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2021, 08:00:14 AM »
Work completed Tuesday and Wednesday 4-5 May 2021.

Tuesday:

*  Track inspection to Alna Center   (Mark & Steve L)
*  Tamper (Big Joe) service and prep for Saturday  (Brian W)
*  Vehicle repair (Brookville)  (Jay)
*  TB work site inspection  (Jason, Steve L)
*  Big Joe moved to TB  (Steve L, Mark, Brian W)
*  Shop work, wheel press  (Jerry, Carlos, Jason, Alan)
*  Various campus project  (Fred, Randy)

Wednesday:

*  Vacuum Brakes  (Jonathan, Randy)
*  Car Barn excavation/drainage layout  (Jonathan, Randy)

Note:  Most work project canceled for Wed. due to heavy rain
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 08:24:41 AM by Ed Lecuyer »

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2021, 08:39:44 AM »
TB?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2021, 08:50:50 AM »
TB = Trout Brook
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2021, 07:03:13 PM »
Work done on Saturday May 8:

* Level the Mountain: the crew got a bunch of track leveled and tamped, on the straightaway south of the bridge.
* Enginehouse: Jeff Verney was digging our Olympic Swimming Pool with Brendan helping.
* Machine shop: Alan was puttering around.
* Moving dirt: There's a big hill of dirt on the west side of the parking lot.  Fred started moving it a scoopful at a time to behind the containers in the John Deere.  Mike was also going to landscape at AC.
* Vehicle repair: Mike said that he got the Kubota running.
* Archives: I helped Linda out with some archival stuff, then she worked the rest of the day exploring the Lincoln County News archives for W&Q related material.
* Board meeting.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2021, 08:38:03 PM »
Cleaned the head and top of the motor in good shape.

All I needed to do was fix the head gasket, but..since I had the head off, I figured I would re-seat the valves. I did not have a valve spring compressor so I improvised. A little swearing, but not bad..

I put the compound on..

Reinsert it and grind away, using a screw driver in the slot on the valve.

After starting, it idled for a bit nice and smooth. Then started knocking hard. I shut it down. Having heard that sound before, I figured it was an injector. I took out all 3 new injectors, replaced with the old injectors and fired it up. No noise. I only wish I took a couple minutes to check which injector it was. Left it running while I greased it up, ready to work, only it wasn't. It would not move. Seems like there is something stuck in the return from the drive pump. It builds pressure and stalls the motor when you try to move. I did not have a catch can to pull a line off to see if I can narrow it down so I parked it.

Graded to Pavilion with the dozer.

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2021, 08:53:35 PM »
I didn't have many opportunities to take photos today.  Here's a handful in chronological order.

The single-day Work Saturdays in lieu of our normal Spring Work Weekend have worked well so far, based on observation of 3 of the 4 so far.  After Spring and Fall Work Weekends resume, I hope these Work Saturdays can continue.  Today's event was "Level the Mountain," to lift, level and tamp a section of track on our Mountain Extension.

Dave Buczkowski operated our Big Joe tamper.  Here's a morning photo of Dave at work.

A photo around lunchtime of a portion of the volunteers who helped jack and level the track, and shovel stone.  I counted about 15 to 20 of all ages.  Ken Berlo is in the foreground.  We're looking north (down grade).  Trout Brook bridge is hidden in the background.

Dave (left) and Steve Lennox (right) refuel one of Big Joe's tanks after lunch for the afternoon's work.  Steve was the team leader for today's Level the Mountain.

After today's work finished on the Mountain Extension, I joined Dave to stop by Alna Center.  Mike had repaired the Kubota excavator head gasket and was grading the interior of our pavilion.

While at Alna Center, today's work train passed by on its return trip to Sheepscot.  I had driven to Trout Brook, rather than take the train from Sheepscot since I was on call for work, so I had an opportunity to take this photo.  Maine Locomotive & Machine Works open car No. 130 is in the lead on the right.
What–me worry?

Stephen Lennox

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2021, 08:11:15 AM »
Anticipated work for Tuesday and Wednesday 11-12 May 2021.

Tuesday:

*  Tie changer introduction
*  Container rearrangement
*  Vacuum brakes
*  Vehicle repairs (Brookville)

Wednesday:

*  Survey, tamping south of Trout Brook Bridge

Note: The TBB tamping is an all day event, extra help is always appreciated,
          bring your lunch, your rain jacket tick spray. If you nee to leave early you may want
          drive an park at the EOT (end of track) and not at the trail head parking lot.
          Departure is expected to be around 9AM.

There will still be work on various jobs around the Sheepscot Campus.

Rules and Standards for Operations

XIX   General Rules  (Rules A-U)

S.  Safety;  Following the Safe Course

Safety is of first importance. In case of doubt, the safe course must be followed.
                    Take the time required to ensure safety is maintained.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2021, 11:08:59 AM »
Steve’s lift job at the bridge tomorrow is a BIG job- if you are available please join his crew!!

Thanks,
Jason

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2021, 05:51:37 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday May 15:

* Level the Mountain - ballasting and tamping on the Mountain.
* Earthworks - Mike moving dirt around at AC
* Enginehouse work
* Machine shop
* Boxcar 56

Stephen Lennox

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2021, 09:40:15 AM »
Work completed Tuesday and Wednesday 11-12, 2021

This is a busy week at the Railroad with a variety of things going on each day from Monday through Saturday.

Tuesday: 

*  Tie inserter test and introduction  (Wayne, Jason, Steve L, Brian W, Chuck)
*  Vacuum brakes  (Jonathan)
*  Excavating, earth moving.  (Brendan, Fred)
*  Wheel press  (Jerry, Carlos)
*  #11 Storage container rearranged  (Steve L, Bill B, Brian W, Chuck, Leon, Wayne, Jason)
*  #11 Shop work, (Jason, Rick, Harold, Alan)
*  Brookville  (Jay)
*  Safety Officer in for tests and related paper work.  (Bob L)

Wednesday:
*  Tamping on the mountain extension  (Steve L, Dana, Bill B, Chuck, Leon Jarred, Jay B)
*  Surveying Round/Engine house  (Brendan, Randy, Jonathan, Jay B.)
*  Coach #9, assembly  (Eric, Ron)
*  Various shop metal and machining projects (Jason, Rick Harold, Wayne, Allen, Tom)
*  Campus clean up, repairs  (Stewart)

Note:  There was a variety volunteers in and out, I am sorry if I have missed someone.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 09:51:38 AM by Ed Lecuyer »

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2021, 05:08:34 PM »
Work done on Saturday May 15:

* Level the Mountain: a small crew worked on the Mountain.  A few of us worked to shovel the extra ballast out of the gauge north of where the work stopped last week, while the tamper worked north on the inside of the gauge from where it started last week.  Alas, the tamper broke, the pipe that provides the in-out movement sheared off.  The tamper is back at Sheepscot for repair
* Pavilion: Mike was moving dirt again at AC.
* Fred was moving dirt from the big pile at Sheepscot to behind the storage containers.
* Enginehouse: Several "from away" folks were stringing out the boundary lines for the concrete footers.
* Surveying: Rick did some surveying for the relocating Woods Track.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2021, 07:56:42 PM »
Enginehouse swimming hole with the stringing done. Note the blue ribbons on the strings. The pink paint line is the building center, stall 2.

Fred doing what Fred does .

He, Brendan and Stewart have been lugging dirt from the Enginehouse project to behind the containers to make us a storage area.  Another foot lift of it, cap it with a foot of gravel and we should have a great area to store items out of the way and public eye.

I had to dress this up a little for Fred. He has been making a loop, and this side was rough.

Finally got the Kubota functioning properly. The hydraulic brake is in the rearends. I figured that out finally by removing a driveshaft to see if the axle would free wheel. It would not. I could not even spin the drive shaft. I chased some lines, and took one off. I got enough oil out of it to cover the bottom of a dixie cup. That was enough to release the brake. Everything moved. Put it back together and went to work..finally.

Ditching around the north west corner.

Filled in some of the skidder ruts. I have a stump to dig out first, then I will smooth up some more.

Pushed a little out front too with Casey. I pushed the ballast away from the edges, and found some hidden suprises, like a pallet and an old telephone pole. Then pushed the piles that were in this area up toward the Pavilion. This is still very damp. I will have to improve the drainage at some point. Not enough time to do it before the next event here.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 07:59:49 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2021, 09:29:42 AM »
Thanks for the photos, Mike.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Stephen Lennox

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2021, 08:31:20 AM »
Anticipated work Tuesday and Wednesday May 18-19, 2021.

*  Track reconnections  (pending)
*  Mountain extension tamp/lift planning
*  Turntable site inspection
*  Bridge work, beam removal/recovery  (pending)

*  Tie and Dine preparation   (Wed)
*  Vacuum brakes   (Wed)
*  Brookville   (Wed-pending)

Rules and Standards for Operations

XVIII.   Definition of Terms  (No Rule Numbers)

Forward Direction: 
     Steam Locomotives:  Boiler end of locomotive is forward.
     Other Locomotives:   The long-hood end of locomotive is considered forward;
                                        other wise the end labeled with “F”.
     Multiple Locomotives:  The conductor shall assign a direction as Forward