Author Topic: Engine House - Official Work Thread  (Read 24555 times)

Benjamin Richards

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
Re: Engine House - Official Work Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2021, 03:33:58 PM »
When the MBTA replaced the South Station Solari board, there was substantial protest. To quiet the critics, the MBTA added a recording of the Solari clicking sound. Since the recording was not synchronized with actual display updates, it was totally useless.

That was truly silly of them. The programming wouldn't have been that hard. I found the clicking noise very useful when I rode Amtrak in my college days, as I often regarded it as one might regard notifications on a smartphone. Specifically, that the status of one or more trains was changing, and I should look for updates. In that way I only needed to be within earshot of the departure board, and not constantly stare at it.

Holy cow are we ever off-topic!

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2021, 06:40:51 PM »
The removal of the Solari board in Penn Station Philly was a huge controversy...and a travesty to boot!

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2021, 09:33:30 AM »
Let's use a Fibonacci sequence for our bay numbers: 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 22....

Check your addition, James. 8)

Jeff S.
You're right, should be 21.  We use fibonacci numbers at work for estimating the level of effort, with 13 being a mega project and is the highest we go (which is why I got 21 wrong).

Glad to hear that fibonacci numbers are being used in the real world (former HS math teacher speaking). I'm curious how this came about. Also, the series begins with two 1s, not one, though in your situation, the first 1 would serve no purpose.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2021, 10:00:09 AM »
Glad to hear that fibonacci numbers are being used in the real world

Probably the same way that Smoots became a valid unit of measure. Here's a screenshot of "my" software product (in a vain attempt to bring this discussion back on topic...)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2021, 10:11:32 AM »
Ed are those classic Smoots or recalibrated Smoots?
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2021, 10:18:27 AM »
Glad to hear that fibonacci numbers are being used in the real world (former HS math teacher speaking). I'm curious how this came about. Also, the series begins with two 1s, not one, though in your situation, the first 1 would serve no purpose.
Jeff S.

I'm a software developer.  We use the Kanban method of agile software development.  As part of that we estimate the level of effort for a ticket.  1 and 2 are easy (ie, minutes of work), 3 and 5 is moderate (hours to days), and 8 is large (days to weeks).  Why we use Fibonacci and not something else I don't recall (probably our agile trainer).

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2021, 10:36:15 AM »
Ed are those classic Smoots or recalibrated Smoots?

The unit of measure was not recalibrated. When Mr. Smoot was used to re-measure the Harvard bridge and the measurement came up slightly longer, the researchers concluded that the bridge must have been elongated during renovations.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Benjamin Richards

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2021, 10:56:05 AM »
Probably the same way that Smoots became a valid unit of measure.

I can't believe a for-profit company would pay someone to implement that. Must be an MIT alum in your ranks!

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2021, 12:07:55 PM »
No, the Project Manager (me) and lead software engineer (long time friend) just happened to have a sense of humor. (And this was prior to a the sale of the product to a large multi-national conglomerate (who phased out said lead engineer and lacks the same sense of humor.)

And there was precedent, as Google Maps had also implemented the Smoot. We were just being reactionary.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2021, 01:24:20 PM »
From Wikipedia: Oliver Reed Smoot, Jr. (born 1940) was Chairman of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) from 2001 to 2002 and President of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) from 2003 to 2004.[1][2] In 2011 the American Heritage Dictionary admitted his decapitalized surname, "smoot", meaning a distance of 5’7”, as one of the 10,000 new words added to their fifth edition. The term is named for Smoot from his undergraduate days when he was used as a unit of measure on the Harvard Bridge at MIT during a fraternity pledge activity.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2021, 03:46:40 PM »
Glad to hear that fibonacci numbers are being used in the real world

Probably the same way that Smoots became a valid unit of measure. Here's a screenshot of "my" software product (in a vain attempt to bring this discussion back on topic...)
Ed, and you thought measuring the Roundhouse in smoots would bring the discussion back on topic?  Hardie Har Har
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2021, 12:25:07 AM »
So how many 5' Lithuanians does it take to make a 10' Pole? :-\ ;)

William Simonton

• Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
    • Steam Operation at Hinton, West Virginia
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2021, 12:42:33 AM »
A Pole is a customary unit defined as 16 1/2 US survey feet, equal to exactly 1/320 of a surveyor's mile, or a quarter of a surveyor's chain, and is approximately 5.0292 meters. The rod is useful as a unit of length because whole number multiples of it can form one acre of square measure.

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2021, 08:41:21 AM »
Well, after evaluating all of the  . . . alternative track identification schemes  ::) . . . presented over the last several pages of this thread, the track numbers shown on the map/diagram posted by Bill Reidy on page 2 of this thread look more and more positively rational. 8)

Below I have linked that map from page 2 again:

(note: that is an example of a linked image from a 3rd party photo host, in this case, Imgur.com :) )
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 08:44:35 AM by Graham Buxton »
Graham

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2021, 03:43:26 PM »
So what about the proposed outside storage track adjacent to roundhouse track 3. Will it be No. 4 or maybe 3A?