Author Topic: Who Am I? or, Let's Introduce Ourselves  (Read 199793 times)

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: Who Am I? or, Let's Introduce Ourselves
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2018, 12:56:44 PM »
Jeff,

Oh really?  What do you do when you're there?  Are you helping work on track?

I live about 15-20 miles southwest from Sturgis, MI, if you know where that is.  I am about 5 miles from U.S. 20.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain

Fred,

I do trackwork, give tours, and general labor. I'm also a qualified brakeman.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Glenn Miller

• Museum Member
  • Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2018, 12:38:40 PM »
Hello, and thank you for having me. My real name is Glenn Miller. I probably would have used it if I'd looked around some before I registered. It was the middle of the night, I was at work with a few minutes to spare, and stumbled on the forum by accident, long story.Anyhow,  I've known about the museum for awhile, but haven't gotten there yet. If I was smart, I'd figure out a way to lengthen an already planned trip to ME in July, and do it then. I'm a life member of the Danbury Railway Museum, and the CT Antique Machinery Assoc. I'm also a member of the Society for the Preservation of Old Mills, and try to join EAIA every year if I can. I join others a year at a time to try to throw some support to all the museums I like or think are important, New Hampshire Farm Museum is also among them. I like anything that's old, industrial, agricultural, mechanical, that kind of thing. I try to let myself believe I'm a blacksmith every so often, sugarmaking, beekeeping, that list also goes on. Before I get any more long winded, my normal retirement date is Oct 1 this year.I hope to leave CT soon after, Maine is on a very short list of places I'd like to end up at, but finding a job with health insurance will have to be first order of business

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #152 on: January 31, 2019, 09:57:07 PM »
Hello everyone. I’m Matthew Gustafson. Yes I know I’ve introduced myself before but that was back during my high school years and my life has taken a dramatic turn, I now volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum in the Steam Department. You can also check out my Train Videos on my YouTube channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA or check me out on Facebook here https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004343950559
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 09:58:49 PM by Matthew Gustafson »
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #153 on: January 31, 2019, 09:59:33 PM »
Hi Matt,
I'm glad to know that you found a place to volunteer and be a part of the railroad preservation community that you were so enthusiastic about during those high school years. Keep up the good work.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Brian Strait

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2019, 12:45:58 AM »
Hello everybody, I’m Brian Strait.  You probably want to know a little bit about me, I’m a 21 year old from Mass with a life long addiction to railroading.  My interested tends to be anything weird, odd or just old.  I fell in love with maine two foot because of the sr&rl.  I think that their tender locomotives are some of the best looking engines ever made.  Reading up on maine two foot I learned about the wwf and the preservation effort you have going on here.  For a while I have wanted to preservation and you seem like a wonderful group of people!

I tend to really like working outside, and the pictures I have seen of the mountain extension seem right up my alley.  I would love to come up some time to help work on stuff and learn about all your old crap!

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2019, 08:43:10 AM »
Welcome Brian,

We would like to have you join us.  There is always a vast assortment of activities going on as you can tell by reading the forum.  We have a few folks who live in the Mass area who come up often.  If you don't get a chance to visit before April, I strongly recommend the Spring Work Weekend, April 26 thru April 28.  There will be a large contingent of folks from all over the nation who will gather to renew friendships, work on their favorite projects and generally have a good time around one of the more unique railroad operations in the country.

Of course this year the big push will be on putting 1,400 feet or so of track down the mountain in serviceable condition.  Also there will be work on rebuilding our latest flat car project.  There will be many other projects being worked on and I am sure you will find someone to help you get in the swing of things.  Plus, did I mention, lots of trains, steam and great food. 

If you need inexpensive lodging make a reservation for a bunk in the Percival house on site.

We will be glad to welcome you into our fold.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2019, 12:14:53 PM »
Hello, I'm Graham Buxton.   I'm in East Tennessee, retired as an IT manager.  I've been a railfan since (at least) since I was 5 years old. Aside from computer skills (database, primarily), I'm reasonably handy with construction, including building my own house 3 years ago.

I'm planning to attend the Spring Work Weekend, and just signed up as a Life Member.  :)

If you need inexpensive lodging make a reservation for a bunk in the Percival house on site.

How do I make a reservation for a Percival bunk?
Graham

Brian Strait

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 10, 2019, 12:16:34 PM »
Hi Bill,

I would love to come up for a weekend sometime. I am free basically every weekend, so exit time there are people going out to work hit me up!  As for the lodging, how inexpensive is inexpensive?  I’m currently trying to save my pennies.

Hope to become one of the crew
-Brian

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 10, 2019, 03:20:59 PM »
Hi Brian and Graham,

The Percival House is between the Sheepscot Parking Lot and the turntable.  You can't miss it because there is a big Forney locomotive on the roof made out of different colored shingles.  The rules and details are found in the Museum Discussion - Members Only Section under Percival House Rules and Reservations for Overnight Stays.  The cost is $10 per night. 

Review the aforementioned house rules Contact Sonja Wyllie, via the Museum's phone 207-882-4193.

As you can tell from reading this forum there is usually something going on every weekend and most days during the week.

I will be up in for the Spring Work Weekend and look forward to meeting the both of you.  Graham, I live in Virginia and go up three times a year.  The spring and fall work weekends and for three or four weeks in the summer.  The curse of living so far away.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 05:53:36 PM by James Patten »
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Brian Strait

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 10, 2019, 05:34:56 PM »
Do you have to be a paying member to see that page?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2019, 06:10:33 PM »
Do you have to be a paying member to see that page?

Yes. Let me know if you are a Museum Member and I will give you access.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2019, 07:34:21 PM »
We  are in the process of updating and consolidating the Percival House reservations and guidelines.  But they are not quite ready yet.  In the meantime, contact Sonya sooner than later if you want an SWW reservation.  Otherwise, there is almost always room, but again, please contact Sonya so she can be prepared for your arrival.  Thanks.

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 12, 2019, 01:00:21 AM »
It would help if you BYOB - Bring Your Own Bedding

Dave Sherron

• Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2020, 03:05:51 PM »
I volunteered at the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad for several years prior to moving to South Carolina in 2006. We expect to return to the Northeast in the near future but the Corona Virus has delayed our plans. I have been a Maine Narrow Gauge enthusiast all my life. As I worked for Carpenter Technology in Reading PA for 37 years, 21 in Reading and 16 in Fryeburg ME where I worked at Carpenter Fryeburg as the manager making stainless steel oil well parts. My collection of Portland Co. Maine 2' car drawings was passed on the the WW&F some years back.

Looking forward to volunteering at WW&F when I get back north.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 03:14:47 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2020, 03:22:19 PM »
Dave, good to hear you are coming home to Maine again!
I still have framed in my shop the Baldwin drawing you gave me many years ago.
Hope we can get together soon, once the virus has run its course.

Keith Taylor