Author Topic: Who Am I? or, Let's Introduce Ourselves  (Read 198296 times)

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Who Am I? or, Let's Introduce Ourselves
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2017, 07:50:27 AM »
Bryce (still);
We're all very proud of how you have progressed at the Museum. You are now a vital part of what we are doing and, indeed, part of our family.
Dave

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2017, 10:13:35 AM »
Bryce, I second what Dave said! See you soon!
Stephen

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2017, 11:34:45 AM »
I "third" what Dave said!  I was your age when I got involved with "hands on" rail preservation, over 50 years ago now - sometimes had to ride a bicycle to get to the Connecticut Electric Railway at East Windsor, CT. thankfully just 10 miles each way.  We need more "youngin's" like you in rail preservation.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2017, 04:47:45 PM »
I "third" what Dave said!  I was your age when I got involved with "hands on" rail preservation, over 50 years ago now - sometimes had to ride a bicycle to get to the Connecticut Electric Railway at East Windsor, CT. thankfully just 10 miles each way.  We need more "youngin's" like you in rail preservation.

Riding a bicycle 10 miles each way to get to a rail preservation site? Where have we heard of that dedication before? (JML)

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2017, 11:39:36 AM »
I'm in Northeastern PA just north of Scranton. So it's about a day's drive to Wiscasset.

I took a ride on MNG in the mid-to late 90's just after the equipment move. So I might have ridden in one of the cars currently in Alna.

I've been involved off-and on with rail related activities for a few decades.

I somehow stumbled onto the WW&F website about 18-24 months ago. I have been following the work going on since before track was put in place to TOM.

So where can I help?

One of the things I do for a living is respond to proposals and market technology and services in the digital economy for a Fortune 50 company. I can help with Marketing (Traditional and Social), plus I'm pretty good with making sure customer requirements are mapped to proposed solutions. Paperwork response are my friend. I am not afraif of State or Federal Government Paperwork. You eat the elephant one bite at a time.

I also have a side interest and skill as a woodworker. I learned it from helping, for many years, my Grandfather who had his own shop and business. I have way too much mid-20th century equipment in my large workshop (~ 40' x 60'). I like early to mid-20th century equipment - Rockwell, Delta, Crescent, etc.

I look at the great work you have done on rebuilding the cars and building the turntable and I say to myself, I should sell the N-Gauge I have sitting in storage and just build me some real boxcars! How many sane people have a Chain Mortiser, a Tenoner, a 36" Band Saw, a 20" planer, an 18" jointer, and other stuff hanging around and know how to use them?

All for now! I'll edit this post later if I think of something else to add.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:10:32 PM by Alex Harvilchuck »

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2017, 09:05:31 PM »
Hello Alex, and welcome:

There are a couple of WW&F projects that will take place in Pennsylvania between now and the end of the year. You are most welcome to get involved if you have the time. There are a number of us from PA who make the trip to Sheepscot at least twice a year to participate in the spring (April) and fall (October) work weekends, and again, the invitation is open.

Cheers -- Wayne Laepple

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2017, 05:11:56 PM »
Hello Alex, and welcome:

There are a couple of WW&F projects that will take place in Pennsylvania between now and the end of the year.

Any details available?

Terry Harper

• Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2017, 08:11:20 AM »
Hi My name is Terry Harper and I am a greasaholic.....

Seriously, for years I have been lurking in the background chiming in on occasion. Some of you I know many I do not. I figured it was time to introduce myself. I have been involved in railroad and steam preservation for sometime. Conway, Scenic, Maine Narrow Gauge as well as heading up the efforts to stabilize the locomotives of the Eagle Lake & West Branch railroad back in the early 1990's. For the last two years I have been an active volunteer at the Maine Forest & Logging Museum in Bradley, Maine - being part of the Lombard crew which I enjoy tremendously since it ties into my love of Maine's rich history of its lumber industry and more particularly the early mechanization. In fact sitting in my shop (undergoing a lengthy restoration) is a massive T-head Wisconsin engine from a 10 ton Lombard log hauler.

Anyway, I greatly enjoy all that's being done at the WW&F and the fantastic crew of volunteers.

Cheers!

Next summer if you happen to be around for one of our events at the Maine Forest & Logging Museum, stop by and we will take you for a ride.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2017, 08:41:20 AM »
Terry,

You forgot to mention that you give a fantastic presentation on the subject. One of the best I have ever been to.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Terry Harper

• Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2017, 06:01:52 PM »
Thank you for the kind words Joe!

Whenever you get up to the Maine Forest & Logging Museum you will have to partake of one of our not nearly famous Lombard Crew pickled eggs.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2017, 06:48:38 PM »
Terry can you give us some URL links to your activities?

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2017, 06:35:46 PM »
Thanks, I suspect that WW&F members and fans will thoroughly enjoy these...another fascinating side of Maine steam!

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2017, 09:45:37 AM »
Hi everybody!

I'm a newcomer so let me please introduce myself...I've been a train addict since the day I was born in the late forties in northern France. During my childhood and my teens I was on cloud nine every time I could watch trains especially steam hauled ones. I wish I had been an engineman but I ended up a tax inspector for the french "IRS" after college graduate.Hence my nickname "PICSOUS" (Uncle Scrooge) I was given by members of the AMTP (association du musée des transports de Pithiviers) that started up  the first French tourist railway 51 years back. ( for further information have a look at Musée des transports de Pithiviers web site and fb).My wife I met at college lived in Pithiviers (Twice lucky me!) and  a year after getting married I joined that famous two footer in 1973 How time flies! Ever since I've been a hands-on volunteer called "agent" ( conductor fireman engineman station agent dispatcher member of the track crew). I was in charge of the volunteer roster bureau for 7 years and I'm the co- writer of the Rule Book. I fulfilled my kid dreams for 43 years. I "retired" in 2016 but i'm still a faithful member of the association,I visit every month.
Last October on my fb page I came across the photo of the cover of the French magazine Voie Etroite that features a nice photo of your train. I left clicked and...I was hooked like the most of you. And since then I keep clicking . I've been very impressed by what you have done starting from scratch but I've been awed by the way you've achieved it and the way you operate the line and the trains with a strict respect for the historical reality always in mind in order to re-create the spirit and the mood of a yesteryear narrow gauge country railway. And besides your most contagious keeness and devotion  have decided to hope on your train and become a member. Of course I'll never be a volunteer on the ground but there are other means  to help you  .
I've appreciated the way you 've answered my questions about your railway for over a month on fb messenger and your warm welcome when I 've decided on being a member.
Picsous Alain Delasus

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2017, 11:57:27 AM »
Alain,

First, as a strong Francophile, my having taken my wife to be married in Notre Dame Cathedral de Paris, there by earning an almost unlimited number of romantic points which allow me to leave her several times a year to come and volunteer at the WW&F Ry Museum.  This also allows us to visit France every five years on our anniversary.

Therefore, I am pleased to welcome you and your interest and support for our railroad to our family.  The thoughts you shared in the second paragraph of your introduction on your impressions on how our Railroad Museum is operated for the historical significance and enjoyment of our visitors is why most of us put in the many hours of hard dedication and work to rebuild, maintain and operate our small part of Maine Railroading History.

Thanks for being a part of our Museum and for sharing your love of, and history with, the trains of France and Maine.

Bill
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~