Author Topic: March 2021 Work Reports  (Read 16018 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: March Work Reports
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2021, 04:12:10 PM »
Yes, we have known about the water in the Forklift and even had the fluid at one time, but it was winter and could not be done. The tank needs to be drained and the large suction line removed and drained as well, being the lowest point on the machine.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Brian Whitney

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2021, 05:38:13 PM »
Let's do it Saturday if we have the supplies on hand.  Or at least see what is needed and get the parts. It is/or will be warm enough soon to fix it.
Brian W.

Alan Downey

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Preservation Pattern
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2021, 06:16:24 PM »
I've got a machine that I'll be planning to load onto a trailer on Saturday morning. It's not particularly heavy, but it's 9 ft tall and I don't know if the loader can reach that high to lift it from above. It would be great to have the forklift with fresh fluid in it soon, but if the loader is unable to pick something 9ft tall from above, I'd ask that you please hold off until I can get wrapped up.
Head of Jason Bothering Department
Shop Foreman

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2021, 07:09:50 PM »
Alan knows about height.. But the forks go under the load, remember?..

Not doing it Saturday, but in a couple weeks when it stays warm. We will have to get more oil. It has been used kn other machines.
Mike

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2021, 05:01:52 PM »
Work done on Saturday March 20:

* Machine shop: the day began with the 9-foot drill press getting put on a trailer and going to a good home.  I think Alan was hopeful to turn the power on for the radial drill press, but that didn't happen. 
* Boxcar 56: Marcel was in working on it.
* Electrical building: Zack finished insulating, and he put plywood on the walls.
* Garage area clean up: The John Deere tractor, forklift, front end loader, the Mitsubishi and both lawn tractors were were all out and about.  Mike's truck made a dump trip.  The area west of the garage got some clean up and re-arrangement.  Then the fuel shed was moved to the cleaned-out area, cleaned up and reorganized, then loaded up with gas cans and propane tanks from around the garage.  One of the oil drums was moved into the garage.
* Wood splitting: Fred got his 3 tractor-loads of wood moved for the day.
* Sign painting: Steve P and Nicole scraped the crossing sign at Alna Center.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2021, 07:54:10 PM »
Took a walk to TOM today. This is the improved view to the north after this winters activity, and Brian using his pole saw to get some pesky branches..

The results of todays rearranging and clean up. I also hauled off the waste oil. Much improved. Everyone pitched in and got it done..

Mike

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2021, 08:33:09 PM »
A few more photos today.

Fred's been busy.  Here are the split wood piles this morning near the Sheepscot section house and water tank.

This week, Fred and helpers had split 9 tractor loads of wood.  This morning Fred split three more while I tried to keep up.  Here he's driving the tractor after today's last load was stacked.

Meanwhile, James Patten and Capt. J. B. Smith were busy moving a cut of cars on the Sheepscot upper yard run-through track.

In shop bay 2, Alan Downey, Carlos Steinke and Jerry Steinke were busy with the Bridgeport drill press.

Marcel Levesque (left) was busy with B&SR boxcar No. 56 in shop bay 3.

Stewart Rhine was busy touching up the paint on repaired windows and trim on the shop building.  He later moved onto the car barn extension.

After a great lunch of salad, BLTs, hot dogs and desserts by Nancy Weeks, started by Fred (but somehow the bacon he was cooking kept disappearing), the fuel shed was moved from its location by the 3-way switch to over by the garage.  Here's Mike Fox starting the move, as Brendan Barry looks on.

Mike's already posted a good photo of the fuel shed placed to the west of the garage and noted the cleanup needed to make room.  While the cleanup was underway, Dave Buczkowski cleaned up years of accumulated white pine needles from the back of the fuel shed roof.

The above was only a portion of the work done today.  It felt like the first day of spring.  The temperature was in the low 20s when I arrived a bit after 7 this morning and was in the low to mid 50s when I left around 2.30. 
What–me worry?

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2021, 10:33:00 PM »
A very impressive set of pictures.  Big things are happing at Sheepscot.  Thanks for the pictures.  They really show how things are moving along.

Also, in noting the "Meanwhile, James Patten and Capt. J. B. Smith were busy moving a cut of cars on the Sheepscot upper yard run-through track." That is an impressive cut of flat cars.  And it doesn't include any of the various versions of box cars, cabooses (cabeese?), passenger cars, etc. floating around.  I know they don't all belong to us, however, it is an impressive collection of 2-foot railroad rolling stock history.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 10:40:34 PM by Bill Baskerville »
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2021, 02:26:18 PM »
Thanks for the photos. I was going to ask when the fuel shed got moved, after seeing Mike's photos. I don't have to now.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2021, 02:42:08 PM »
Also, in noting the "Meanwhile, James Patten and Capt. J. B. Smith were busy moving a cut of cars on the Sheepscot upper yard run-through track." That is an impressive cut of flat cars.  And it doesn't include any of the various versions of box cars, cabooses (cabeese?), passenger cars, etc. floating around.  I know they don't all belong to us, however, it is an impressive collection of 2-foot railroad rolling stock history.

That struck me too, Bill, which is why I took that photo.  I also meant to take a photo of the four boxcars outside shop bays 2 and 3, but then things got busy with the fuel shed move.
What–me worry?

Stephen Lennox

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2021, 08:25:07 AM »
Anticipated work for Tuesday and Wednesday 23-24 March 2021.

*  Sheepscot yard clean up
*  Locomotive prep (with ML&M) (pending)
*  Vehicle repair/maintenance)
*  Wood splitting, stacking

Rules and Standards for Operations

III.  Signal Rules (Rules 10-16)

10.  Color Signals

b.   Fixed Position
             i.   Red:  Stop at Flag (except at switch targets)
             ii.  Yellow:  Sound audible Signal 14 (I), proceed at restricted speed.
             iii. Green:  Proceed
             iv.  White and Green:  Station Stop at a Timetable-designated flag stop.
             v.   Yellow adjacent Red:  Stop and proceed at Restricted Speed.
             vi.  Yellow and Black Number:  Speed Board, Rule 72 (d)
             vii. Green with White R:  Speed Board Resume, Rule 72 (d)
             viii. Blue: Do not couple or move

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: March 2021 Work Reports
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2021, 05:46:51 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday March 27:

* Parking lot/machinery/garage area clean up continues
* Vehicle repair
* Boxcar 56
* Machine shop organizing
* Electrical building
* Wood splitting
* Alna Center clean up
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 07:25:08 PM by James Patten »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2021, 06:51:02 PM »
AC clean up should also be added. The crane will be moved and hopefully the Kubota.
Mike

Stephen Lennox

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2021, 12:08:31 PM »
Work completed Tuesday and Wednesday 23-24 March 2021.

Tuesday: 

*  Tamper (Wilma) Function checks, equipment checks for repairs, relocated to the machine shop
    bay #3 lead.  (Steve L, Joe F, Brian W. Chuck B)
*  Yard switching, included Open car, Caboose #554 moved to the Woods track, 1 Flat to the loading
    ramp, 2 Flats and Tank car moved to Main Line.
*  Fire Wood  (Fred)
*  Bridge work (ventilation- Randy)
*  Sheepcot Campus clean up (everyone)
*  Painting, Dairy Car and Machine shop windows (Stuart)
*  Brookville moved from Machine shop Bay #3 to Bay #1)  (pushed)

Wednesday:

*  Sheepcot Campus clean up and firewood (Fred, Brendan, Chuck B, Steve L)
*  Shop work (Jerry and Carlos)
*  Yard Switching,  Locomotive’s moved, #4 to loading ramp, #8 to run through lead.
    This clears up the display tracks for Round House work. (yes, it looks pretty bare)
    (Jason, Brendan, Steve L, Dan M, Randy)
*  Loaded flat moved to ML&M.  (Dan M, Steve L)   

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2021, 07:49:34 AM »
Steve L -- Thanks very much for your detailed descriptions of the work you and the other weekday volunteers are doing. It's all very important work. I'm looking forward to spending some time with you guys in May.