Author Topic: What are the SR&RL railcars based on?  (Read 31670 times)

Steve Zuppa

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
Re: What is the SR&RL railcar bodies based on?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 06:42:22 AM »
The tires for the railcar and #11 arrived yesterday. They are bright and shiny and very heavy.
Don't ask me. I only cut the grass. Oops, I don't even do that anymore.

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 07:41:35 AM »
Guys,

Even though I know what tires look like, when someone has a chance, I would like to see someone post a photo of them.  Thanx in advance.

Bernie

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 11:46:57 AM »
A note on preserved SR&RL REO railbus #4 - the car currently has a Ford Model A nose and also - I think - a Model A engine.  This was a result of a road crossing collision during its Edaville residence - the car was rebuilt with the Ford front end.  I would think Model A parts are far easier to come by than REO. 
I had the pleasure of riding on this car up at Philips back about 10 years or so when it returned for a visit at Philips Old Home Days.
Maybe someone better acquainted with this railbus could correct or expand on this info.

Steve Klare

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Narrow Gauge Films
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 01:24:29 PM »
Bill,

What's the interior of SR&RL 4 like? I've never been closer than standing outside when she was sitting on a flatbed trailer. They wanted to run her at Old Home Days when I was there, but they had no way of getting her off the truck.

Does she feature the Stinchfield Patent Harpoon Steering Column (TM)?

(Might not need it, she probably has gas, brake and clutch on the floor.)

Steve Zuppa

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 05:18:47 PM »
Bernie,
Mike Fox took some photos today and said he'd post them when he got home.
S
Don't ask me. I only cut the grass. Oops, I don't even do that anymore.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 08:04:12 PM »
Go to this thread to see the pics.
http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php?topic=198.0
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Re: What are the SR&RL railcars based on?
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 09:19:18 PM »
Mike,

Again thanx for posting the pictures of the tires.  Somehow I wish I was born in Maine where I could be closer to the action and do more grunt work on this equipment.

Bernie

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 04:15:18 PM »
Bill,

What's the interior of SR&RL 4 like? I've never been closer than standing outside when she was sitting on a flatbed trailer. They wanted to run her at Old Home Days when I was there, but they had no way of getting her off the truck.

Does she feature the Stinchfield Patent Harpoon Steering Column (TM)?

(Might not need it, she probably has gas, brake and clutch on the floor.)
Steve, I can't really say for sure but I don't think there was a steering column in #4.  I just
seem to remember a wood dash with a few gauges and switches.  Maybe there were some
changes to the interior during the "Fordification" of the vehicle from its original state.   
Maybe Hans or someone from the MNG could give some better details on the present layout.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 11:40:51 AM »
Bill,  SR&RL 4 did get the Model A engine when the railbus was rebuilt at Edaville.  You are right about Model A parts, they are easy to get with a number of companies, including Ford still supplying them.   

As I mentioned in a previous post, SR&RL railcar 3, was built in 1934.  It started with the frame of the old railbus 3 which was a Model T.  The frame was shortened to be the same length as railcar #2 but the new #3 was built using Model A parts.  The parts included the solid (slide out) windshield, arched visor, cowl, hood and radiator shell.  The engine and transmission was changed to a Model A drive train but the car kept the original axles.  The other equipment kept from the railbus was the Model T headlights.  This was probably done because most Model T headlights are designed with a long mount/bolt to fasten the light onto the front plate so they sit down near the bottom of the radiator.  The first SR&RL Model T, railcar 1 was an inside frame car that only lasted for 2 years.  The rest of the fleet was built with an outside frame which made the cars track better.  The outside frame extended past the radiator, giving a platform where the Model T lights were mounted.  Model A headlights do not have the long bolt because they are mounted on a bar that goes between the fenders.  There are no fenders on an outside frame car so there's no place to mount the headlight bar.   The original frame would have had the headlights still intact, waiting to be hooked to the Model A wiring harness.  If the SR&RL bought a complete Model A and parted it out to build the railcar, management probably sold everything that was left to recover some of the railroad's expense.  The Model A headlights would have been sold since they were newer and more valuable.  Selling all the un-need parts would have been common practice during the Great Depression. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 02:14:08 PM by Stewart Rhine »

Mark Edry

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 11:32:21 PM »
For what it's worth, here's the interior of the standard gauge railbus the Sandy River shops built from an REO bus, now restored and in residence at Clark's in NH:

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 11:03:36 AM »
It's amazing how roomy those standard gauge things are...

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 01:10:56 PM »
Thanks for the photo Mark. The interior sure looks nice, definitely more room than a Model T.  I've seen the railbus but it was inside the enginehouse and there was no room for photos.  I see they kept the steering wheel.  It also looks like there are two brake levers.  The Phillips shop must have added the extra brake lever for the railroad style hand brake.  The other brake lever would be for the original REO emergency brake that contacts the rear wheel's brake drums.   I hope to get back to Clark's sometime when the bus is running.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 01:18:18 PM »
I hope to get back to Clark's sometime when the bus is running.

Try to go during their railfan weekend - usually mid-September. They typically have all 4 (operational) steamers under steam, plus the railbus. And there's no extra charge for admission and unlimited rides. It's one of the best-kept secrets in New England railroading.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 07:14:28 PM »
Another distant memory, but think I remember seeing the "Kennebago bus" (this is the same railbus, isn't it?) sitting in someone's side yard (in Strong?) back in the early 70's, all rusty with faded paint. My jaw about hit the floor the first time I saw the restoration the Clarks had done -- I do wish it was painted differently though.  It's strange how some of the Clarks collection looks authentic, while other items are (in my opinion) "too colorful."  Also, I believe the Heisler needs work and won't be operating anytime soon...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 07:34:10 PM by Stephen Hussar »

Steve Klare

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Narrow Gauge Films
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 10:28:26 PM »
You must have seen the bus in Strong after it worked the line at Starbird's:

http://www.whitemountaincentralrr.com/RailBusB1

(Still wrapping my head around a standard gauge ROW in Strong!)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 10:31:03 PM by Steve Klare »