Author Topic: Location of B&SR excursion train  (Read 6056 times)

Andrew Kayser

• Hobo
    • View Profile
Location of B&SR excursion train
« on: January 23, 2021, 12:42:00 PM »
In October 1960 I was 19 years old and took 5 photos of a B&SR excursion train. I labeled the slides "Cripple Creek RR" but think that was in error. You can see these by going to my web site: www.akayservideo.com. Select Railroads and then the first video titled "Bridgton & Saco River Railroad". Any help in locating where I was would be appreciated.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: Location of B&SR excursion train
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 03:16:07 PM »
Hi Andrew,

While I can't say where those photos were taken, they are not of Edaville Railroad in So. Carver Mass, where the B&SR equipment resided following the railroad's closure in the early 1940s. Moreover, the equipment doesn't match anything from the Maine two footers. I also suspect the track gauge is 36" and not 24".

So unfortunately, the photos are not of the B&SR Railroad in Maine (or Edaville in 1960.)

Thanks for sharing, hopefully someone will positively identify the location.

-Ed
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 03:36:28 PM »
Could it be the Pine Creek RR in New Jersey? The Shay looks like Ely-Thomas Lumber Co. No. 6 which has been at Pine Creek since the 1960s and was formerly owned by Edgar T. Mead (who was a prominent fan of Maine narrow gauge in general and the B&SR in particular).

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 04:17:22 PM »
I agree with Philip. I am about 99% certain this was taken at the Pine Creek Railroad at Allaire State park in New Jersey. That locomotive is definitely Ely-Thomas Lumber Co. No. 6. The Pine Creek Railroad is definitely three-foot gauge.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 07:17:40 PM »
I can tell you exactly where that was taken. Yes, it is the Pine Creek Railroad, but not at Allaire State Park. This was the original location of the Pine Creek on NJ Route 9 in Marlboro, NJ near Freehold, NJ. At this time it was the private property of Jay Wulfson who later went on to run the Middletown and New Jersey and then create the Vermont Railway. When Mr. Wulfson left NJ he gifted the assets (but not the land) to the newly formed New Jersey Museum of Transportation and the railroad was relocated to Allaire State Park in Farmingdale, New Jersey.
I know this as I spent countless hours in the cab of Lima Shay 3314, Ely - Thomas Number 6.

Keith
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 10:18:34 AM by Keith Taylor »

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 09:29:59 PM »
Keith is correct,  it is Ely #6 and yes it is a 3 footer - how do I know, I fired that engine 1980-81 at Pine Creek in Allaire St. Park.  But Keith is correct on location - it is the original Freehold location before the move to Allaire.

I always thought - wouldn't it be cool to at least have one 2 foot Shay to demonstrate the log and grade hauling capabilities of a geared engine versus a rod engine.
Moxie Bootlegger

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 05:24:58 AM »
There is a reason that the Shay has “B&SR” lettered on the tender. That Shay was owned by Edgar T. Mead the noted Maine Two Foot Gauge author and researcher. And in fact the headlight on the Shay was from a B&SR locomotive.
Keith

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 10:01:04 AM »
Quite a bit of history in this thread. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 10:43:13 AM »
In October 1960 I was 19 years old and took 5 photos of a B&SR excursion train. I labeled the slides "Cripple Creek RR" but think that was in error. You can see these by going to my web site: www.akayservideo.com. Select Railroads and then the first video titled "Bridgton & Saco River Railroad". Any help in locating where I was would be appreciated.
There is a possible explanation for your labeling. In one of your photos you can see a small  0-4-0  saddle tank locomotive. One of the “projects” that Jay Wulfson, Pierre Rasmussen and James Wright had was operating another one at the amusement park “Cowboy City” near Farmingdale, NJ. The locomotive was labeled Copper Creek, and in the off season the locomotive was taken to the Pine Creek location for storage and repairs.

Keith

Andrew Kayser

• Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 12:08:50 PM »
Thank you Keith and the rest of you for making my day. I was living in NYC when I was 19 so Marlboro, NJ was not a far reach. What is more interesting is I settled in Morristown, NJ over 20 years ago and before retiring would travel down Route 9 passing the site on the way to work in Manalapan. Little did I know. I now look forward to catching up with the B&SR equipment at Allaire State Park.

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2023, 12:44:01 PM »
Andrew,
            To the best of my knowledge there is no Maine two-foot equipment at the New Jersey Museum of Transport. There are a couple of industrial two-foot Diesels in the collection. And they have leased a couple of steel mill locomotives to the Maine Narrow Gauge Museum.  I do not know if any of those are operational at Portland.

Ted Miles WW&F Member, narrow gauge fan

Jay Davis

• Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2024, 05:10:08 AM »
Memories from back then can get fuzzy. I'd suggest maybe reaching out to rail history buffs or even local forums in the areas the B&SR operated. They might spot some landmarks in your shots.

Bruce Wilson

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2024, 05:04:20 PM »
There is a reason that the Shay has “B&SR” lettered on the tender. That Shay was owned by Edgar T. Mead the noted Maine Two Foot Gauge author and researcher. And in fact the headlight on the Shay was from a B&SR locomotive.
Keith

Keith's information is right on and Edgar covered alot of ground in his years as an enthusiast. Some will recall that he had a two footer on his own property in New Hampshire. The line was written about in old issues of The Two Foot Gage Owners Association (TFGOA) newsletter. Edgar named his railroad the Etna & Montreal, though thar Canadian city was never reached by his rail gang.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 06:17:16 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Wanted: Copies of correspondence and photographs from "first generation narrow gage railfans" such as Linwood Moody, Dick Andrews, Lawrence Brown, Ellis Atwood, H.T. Crittenden and others. Interested in all two foot (U.S.) rail operations, common carrier, industrial/mill and park/museum.